• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reverse training

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Well that was not the point of this particular regimen was to work the small groups to exhaustion, not the large groups. The large groups were used to exhaust the little muscles but they didn't get exhausted themselves.

Aahh! I see the confusion now.
Please allow me to explain:

1.\tPre-exhaust is a technique to exercise using minor exercises first and major later so that the muscles can be totally exhausted. In this case, dumb flyes and then bench press.

2.\tIn your case, it is used to totally blast your bodypart into oblivion. For exercise 1, I disagree with it because I always view underhand pulldown as a back and not biceps exercise. But if you feel it as a biceps exercise, its like a tri-set (not triceps) or giant set with pre-exhaust thrown in.

For exercise 2, its actually a negative pre-exhaust before a main exercise. In this case, your shoulders (side and front delts), a main body part, would be whacked. Triceps workout at this stage is not necessary. By doing this, you cant do the second or third set because your triceps would be too exhausted and you cant do shoulder press when your triceps are gone.
For exercise 3, this is standard pre-exhaust. This will whack your quads, a major body part. For the static hold, you might as well do free squats till you collapse.
So to answer your question, it does affect your major body parts (exercise 2 and 3).

3. BTW you should ask your trainer what he is asking you to do instead of coming to the net. No doubt my explanation is correct and great, but you paid him to train you. Unless you are intimidated by him.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Aahh! I see the confusion now.
Please allow me to explain:

We are on the same page, now. . .
2.\tIn your case, it is used to totally blast your bodypart into oblivion. For exercise 1, I disagree with it because I always view underhand pulldown as a back and not biceps exercise. But if you feel it as a biceps exercise, its like a tri-set (not triceps) or giant set with pre-exhaust thrown in.
It may be the orientation of that particular machine, but it is very much a bicep exercise for me, though also an upper back machine. Areas that I always had a very hard time developing were biceps and deltoids. For whatever reason, the pulldown did a lot better job getting my biceps going compared to curls, though I can now get something out of curls as well.

For exercise 2, its actually a negative pre-exhaust before a main exercise. In this case, your shoulders (side and front delts), a main body part, would be whacked. Triceps workout at this stage is not necessary. By doing this, you cant do the second or third set because your triceps would be too exhausted and you cant do shoulder press when your triceps are gone.
For exercise 3, this is standard pre-exhaust. This will whack your quads, a major body part. For the static hold, you might as well do free squats till you collapse.
So to answer your question, it does affect your major body parts (exercise 2 and 3).

3. BTW you should ask your trainer what he is asking you to do instead of coming to the net. No doubt my explanation is correct and great, but you paid him to train you. Unless you are intimidated by him.

As I mentioned in the original post, the trainer explained exactly what he was doing. The reason for my post was to ask whether or not this was something unusual or typical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads