• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return shoes or get thicker socks?

txeconomist

Reaction score
During a recent Brooks Brothers sale, I purchased two pairs of shoes. One was the Peal Algonquin pebble **** toe with a double leather sole and a pair of tan Alden LHS loafers (both in 10D). When I got them in the mail, I tried them on and decided that bother were too big. So, I went to the BB store and exchanged both for a 9.5D.

The Peal, shoe now seams a little too tight, and look a lot smaller on my feet than my other shoes, and the LHS loafers fit pretty well other than a little slipping in heel.

So what would you do with the Peal shoes? Wait to get the 9.5E (9.5E not in stock) and hope it's roomy enough or get the 10D and wear a little bit thicker socks? Or, just get a refund and wait to get a pair that fits better? I paid less than $300 for the Peals during the 366 + 25% off sale...so I don't think Id ever be able to get them cheaper...

Basically same deal with the loafers... get thicker socks or return them?

Regards.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
What about a 10c? If possible I would get the correct size shoe. It worth the wait as you should have these shoes for 10+ years.

If the correct size was not an option then the shoe that is a little tight could be stechted by a cobbler, or the shoe that is too loose could be worn with an insole. Not ideal, but both options.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The LHS will slip a tad at first. The soles are very thick and stiff. I am a true 9D and it took my 9's about 2 months to break in. Once they did the slipping completely went away and they molded to my foot.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acquire the correct size... you'll begin to develop a fair amount of rancor for the shoes, or at least indifference, if your sock choice is limited to what will compensate for the ill-sized footwear.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also hold them indefinitely while waiting for your size. Brooks has a pretty much unlimited return policy (hold on to the receipt, I keep them in my brooks shoeboxes just in case)

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it cool to return shoes to BB that you've worn 2-3 times outdoors?

txeconomist

Reaction score
Re: "You could also hold them indefinitely while waiting for your size. Brooks has a pretty much unlimited return policy (hold on to the receipt, I keep them in my brooks shoeboxes just in case)"

This is the gameplan as of now... But i just wonder if the 9.5E is really the solution...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads