• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return of the glen plaid

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I've noticed recently glen plaid becoming more hip just like the paisley (tie) made a strong return two years ago.
I'm sure Ill be seeing it soon hit the mainstream fashion sooner or later with glen plaid splashed up on every other page in men's interest magazines I suppose.

I recently saw a 3-piece suit in glen plaid and it was stunning. It has a lot of old school flavor to it and looks best in more traditional cuts and accessorizing like an actual pocket watch, bowtie, or braces.

I see the micro pinstripe? (Don't know the actual term, but the subtle pinstripe that is really narrow and almost looks like ribbed) which was so 'modern' a few years back look so dated now, and the glen plaid and chalkstripes of old school making a fresh entry.
Micropinstripe looks so techies coming into job interviews -ish.

What's your comment on glen plaid? I'd consider it a must have item. Especially in a light grey tone. So 20s, 30s, and 40s. (Not sure which era made it predominantly fashionable).

awxg

Reaction score
I've been trying to find some odd trousers in Prince of Wales pattern for a while now. I think they are classic.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I manage to always have something Glen plaid in my wardrobe. I've always liked it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
I've noticed recently glen plaid becoming more hip just like the paisley (tie) made a strong return two years ago.
I'm sure Ill be seeing it soon hit the mainstream fashion sooner or later with glen plaid splashed up on every other page in men's interest magazines I suppose.

Glen plaid has been present in main stream suits for as long as I can remember.

Albern

Reaction score
I had no idea the glen plaid even left us to begin with.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
I've been trying to find some odd trousers in Prince of Wales pattern for a while now. I think they are classic.

I found a nice pair at the Brooks Bros outlet a few months ago. They consistently get compliments from the ladies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Glen plaid has been present in main stream suits for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted by Albern
I had no idea the glen plaid even left us to begin with.

+1. I've got several in my wardrobe, in both single-breasted and double-breasted styles, with no overcheck, with a blue overcheck, and with a brick-red overcheck.

Undoubtedly a classic pattern that looks great and is very versatile.

Gherkins

Reaction score
I am a fan. A huge fan, that is.
I own two Glen Plaid suits I especially like: a grey with a light blue overcheck that I call my Gary Cooper suit and a tan one with an orange overcheck from a worsted / silk fabric. This one seems to be a guarantee for compliments from any woman over 20. At least last year. I hope it won't fail me this summer!

sarto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gherkins
I am a fan. A huge fan, that is.
I own two Glen Plaid suits I especially like: a grey with a light blue overcheck that I call my Gary Cooper suit and a tan one with an orange overcheck from a worsted / silk fabric. This one seems to be a guarantee for compliments from any woman over 20. At least last year. I hope it won't fail me this summer!

happen to be wearing one just like that right now. hah. light grey and black (which makes the suit darker) with blue overcheck.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Glen plaid suit for fall and another for spring. The fall one is not one that I like a lot but the spring one is a favorite. I'm glad it's almost time to start wearing it.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note, I wonder if all this new Gangs of New York interest is due to the movie being shown almost daily on the HD universal channel?
smile.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is alright but it's hard to wear it with colorful and or patterned shirts which limits its usefulness today, maybe that's one of the reasons it petered out here. That and it was only really popular in the USA and when we stopped making suits here, the pattern got forgotten.

Theyre OK in the spring and summer. The dark version in blue or grey even with a colored windowpane are more versatile.

mystillwater

Reaction score
i recenly picked one up from the Banana Republic Monogram line. it's a 3 peice and it's of suprisingly (to me) high quality. they're obviously made for them by someone... the tag said who made them but it escapes me and the suit is out for tailoring. it's super 120's as well. looks very sharp. i love the pattern and i look forward to wearing it this spring and summer!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads