• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return of the 3 button Sportcoat happening alredy?

951socal

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been seeing them for a while.

951socal

Reaction score
i haven't seen them for awhile actually, even on this forum they're a little passe.

Todd Snyder

WSJ shoot suits either by Prada, HUGO or Brunello Cucinelli

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With one exception these all appear to be suits.

Did it ever leave however?

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it never left. It's just more tailored and more fitted.

951socal

Reaction score
neil barrett, bottega venetta, and armani are not suits.

in addition the brands with sits pictured also presented sport jackets within the same show

qs01

Reaction score
Anything not navy or charcoal here is garbage.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the OP is talking about suit jackets and sport coats? I think three buttons did sort of disappear, its all been about 1 or two buttons for a while. Its just the fashion cycle its either 2 or 3 buttons, natural shoulders or structured shoulders, relaxed fit or slim fit. I have started doing 3 buttons a little more recently they look rather modern to my eyes now. I have been quite tempted to make myself up a 4 button suit actually.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, the 3-button sports coat never left. Perhaps the designers are recently emphasizing it more, but it's a classic configuration. My go-to blazer is a 3-roll-2.

Since I'm tall and thin, I don't like the usual 3-button configuration much and 4-buttons would look silly on me. When I want to look fashion-forward, I wear a one-button jacket with peak lapels.

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, the 3-button sports coat never left. Perhaps the designers are recently emphasizing it more, but it's a classic configuration. My go-to blazer is a 3-roll-2.
Since I'm tall and thin, I don't like the usual 3-button configuration much and 4-buttons would look silly on me. When I want to look fashion-forward, I wear a one-button jacket with peak lapels.

I have to see one person looking good in a 4 button suit...

maybe the music man...

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

duggyald

Reaction score
four button - from the neck down. now that's a sight!

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh believe me I would make it look good. Thinking sort of Hardy Amies ultra mod looking.
Certainly thinking mohair, something like this but higher button stance slimmer lapels of course:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That looks really nice as a hard three David but please no higher on the button stance or you'll look strangled. Open up the front quarters a bit and I always think slanted pocket flaps emphasize the hips and look feminine. Great colour and fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads