1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Retro clothing theory...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoreman80, Mar 2, 2004.

1. shoreman80

shoreman80 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was is 40, was a teenager during the 70s, and was really into the cultural revival of the 1950s ("Happy Days," "Grease" etc.) He stuck with it, and today still sports the (mild) ducktail haircut and the 501s and white tshirt thing.

I wonder, given the 80s craze of the past year or two: I was born in 1980, and I have enjoyed VH1's 80s shows. I kind of like the revival of 80s style. Though I'm aware it's kind of absurd, and a fleeting trend, I like the new wave look.

My point. My friend enjoys his personal style, though it's not really his (he was never really a greaser). In casual settings, I like looking a little 80s. If I wear a Harrington jacket and Lacoste when I'm 40, will it be parallel? Am I just bored and thinking too much?Should I get back to looking for a better job?

Pardon my ramble.

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Hey man, I like 80's fashion too. Not too much of it though, try contrasting an 80's piece with something new, that way it comes off with a cool retro feel and an updated look.

Some of the retro pieces are timeless... for example: a Lacoste shirt will never look dated, neither will a white tee shirt with a pair of nice jeans. Each trend has at least some elements of staying power.

Side note; trends re-emerge with a 20 year cycle. The 80's are in now, the 50's were in in the 70's. I'm predicting a grunge revival sometime around 2010; though it has been creeping up now and then, it always gets shut down... I guess we're just not ready yet.

3. j

j Senior member

The 80s new wave was sort of a Mod revival as well, skinny ties, narrow lapels, etc., and the Harringtons and Lacoste (better Fred Perry, which I have been trying to find locally) have been skinhead classics since the beginning of that movement. I tend to like this a lot more than the 50s/70s stuff. Living where I do (in a university district of a very... diverse city) I see almost every 'lifestyle trend' every day. The greasers, the punks, the skins, the occasional neo Mod or ska kid in suit and hat, they're all here to be found. Only the teddy boys have yet to be revived. Then there are the hipsters who hop on all the trends and make individualism a cult, and end up all looking the same (bad) anyway.

However, I am really hoping grunge is dead forever. The worst effect of that was when the girls got into it and started wearing baggy pants. Whoever brought tight pants and jeans back for girls has my eternal gratitude.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Yea, 80s and 60s stuff is really in right now

5. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I enjoy some of the music, but I can do without having to see people swallowed by their own clothing -- especially attractive girls.

6. dmckean44

dmckean44 New Member

I agree. Nothing kills a fun time at a club like a bunch of girls trying to most authentically dress up like they just came in from milking the cows.