1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rethinking the thrift shop habit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Jan 25, 2005.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

hahahaha. if they go to the salvation army, then they probably go to ebay as well. no wonder that vintage Brioni jacket smelled so funny [​IMG]

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    It does, however, eliminate the dilemma my poor wife would face when it comes time to send me to the crematorium. One would presume she'd want me to meet my maker in one of my favorite suits, although I know the thought of several hundred dollars worth of wool burning up would drive her batty. Now she can have me dressed in my finest, and not lose a moments sleep while she waits for the insurance checks to start pouring in.

Does make one wonder though: if the suit I'm sent to the oven with is, ultimately, donated to the Salvation Army, could my wife take one last tax deduction for the rather sizable donation it would represent?

4. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Pretty funny. I'm sure the lines are long for those non-flammable suits, a nice polyester/asbestos blend.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

I always thought they cut the clothes down the back to facilitate things. I have found plenty of suits I wouldn't be caught dead in...

BTW, IIRC, formaldehyde is used both in the fabric/clothing trade (hence the expression 'mad as a hatter', and the spacey expressions on fabric store employees' faces) and embalming. Ashes to ashes, and all that.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Actually J... the term Mad As A Hatter was used to describe the advanced stages of Mercury poisoning brought on by the most popular fur treatment in the mid 1800's "carroting". Mercury Nitrate was brushed on to cheaper furs and smoothed out by hand, as cheaper furs didn't mat easily and were usually not uniformly dense. Mercury Nitrate poisoning causes a variety of fun symptoms like twitching uncontrollably, tooth and memory loss, slurred speech, depression and extreme anxiety.

Finer furs, like beaver, have serrated edges, easily mat, and are generally more uniform in density, thus they don't require carroting. Only the finest hat makers could afford beaver fur however, and the rest were unfortunately driven mad, and eventually killed by their craft.

7. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l always wanted to be a funeral director, ever sinse l was a little kid. Gr8 storey.

Regards: shooman.

8. Stu

Stu Senior member

I think that is an urban legend.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    (j @ Jan. 25 2005,20:25) I always thought they cut the clothes down the back to facilitate things.
    I think that is an urban legend.
    It would, however, explain the 30-1/2" center vent in the back of my new blazer. [​IMG]

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Quoi?

Jon.

11. j

j Senior member Admin

Oh yeah. I had probably heard that. Well, in any case, formaldehyde is used in fabric manufacturing, and you can feel its effects (I can, anyway) by wandering around in a fabric store for a while. I get a headache and start feeling dizzy within 15 minutes or so.

12. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Formaldehyde... reminds me of undergrad gross anatomy. [​IMG]