• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retaliation for Bad Ebay Transaction

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Santoni Bristols on ebay, from a seller with a 25,000 rating.

Most of the sellers were selling them for $299, but this guy had them for $239 and I purchased them. His feedback wasn't great, but he had a 7 day no questions asked return policy.

I tried to pay with PayPal, but my credit card wan't working on Paypal, so I paid through his Infopia payment system by email.

Of course, one shoe was brown, and the other was light brown. I immediately sent them back thru UPS Next Day Air.

I emailed the seller a few times, and he hasn't gotten back to me since. Since I didn't pay thru Paypal, i can only open an Ebay dispute, which is bullshit.

I tried calling my credit card company, but they said that I must wait seven days before I open a dispute with them.

Is there any way to get my money back?

I found his house on Google Maps, and found out that he drives a black mercedes, and I also found out the names of his family members on WhitePages.com. I was thinking of pulling some **** like "The Hells Angels will Contact you soon" or something.

or I could open a fraudulent Ebay account under the name of "wantmymoneyback" and bid on all his items and **** him up that way.

But that **** is kinda childish, and doesn't guarantee money back.

Any thoughts?

singhstyle

Reaction score
My man, he could be on this forum reading what you just wrote and could have the police on stand by. Not smart stalking and burning his ass... I would wait the seven days. That's why I dont buy things off of EBay.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
I would be more worried about the Hells Angels being mad for fraudulently using their name.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freefinancialadvice

I tried calling my credit card company, but they said that I must wait seven days before I open a dispute with them.

Is there any way to get my money back?

Any thoughts?

How bout wait 7 days, then open a credit card dispute???

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will a credit card dispute be effective?

I've never done that before.

It most certainly will.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Maybe I'll Buy it Now all his stuff AFTER I get the money back. That will be fun!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
"the Hell's Angels will Retaliate because you sent him a defective pair of santonis!"

laugh.gif

nicewithit

Reaction score
I have no good advice for you but just want to chime in and say I'm hesitant to bid on anyone with a huge amount of feedback now. I once won a pair of jeans, paid around 150 for them and never received them. This was with a guy with maybe 5,000 or so feedback.

The problem is not that he has too much feedback but that because he has so much he doesn't care if he makes a mistake. I tried emailing him several times and he would never answer. When he finally did a few weeks later he said he would check on it and never got back to me.

Long story short it was over a month or so which was past the deadline to file a dispute on paypal at the time and I was stuck like chuck. Never heard for the seller again and he just kept on racking up his wonderful feedback.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This type of thing makes me never want to sell on eBay again. People have lost all sense of proportion. You're stalking him and his family over a pair of $239 shoes?

Maybe he's just on vacation? You can't wait seven days? It's not even been a week and you've already looked up his house, car, and family? And are considering making threats against them?

This is all sorts of creepy.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This type of thing makes me never want to sell on eBay again. People have lost all sense of proportion. You're stalking him and his family over a pair of $239 shoes?

Maybe he's just on vacation? You can't wait seven days? It's not even been a week and you've already looked up his house, car, and family?

+1

Retaliation? Really?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicewithit
I have no good advice for you but just want to chime in and say I'm hesitant to bid on anyone with a huge amount of feedback now.

The problem is not that he has too much feedback but that because he has so much he doesn't care if he makes a mistake.

I've had a similar experience. When they have that much feedback your complaint becomes a very small, low-impact drop in a very large bucket. It's best if there's some middle ground where they have a relatively long positive record that isn't so big that a few bad transactions won't do any damage to it.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

Maybe he's just on vacation? You can't wait seven days? It's not even been a week and you've already looked up his house, car, and family? And are considering making threats against them?

When you have lived off of Ramen and Panera bread dumpsters, $239 IS a lot of money.

#1 rule: Do not lose money.

Seriously, I wouldn't ever make threats/hurt the guy or whatever.

I am just looking for suggestions on getting my money back. The guy instantly answered every one of my emailed questions beforehand, and once I decided to return them, I received no response. Of course he is trying to keep the cash. He unloaded a pair of two different color shoes, and he knows it.

And, its kinda fun.

Actually, its pretty amazing how much info you can find on people using the internet.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you have lived off of Ramen and Panera bread dumpsters, $239 IS a lot of money.

#1 rule: Do not lose money.

If you've recently been living on Ramen, why are you buying $239 shoes on eBay? I'd say rule No. 1 is live within your means. If you're living more comfortably now, then it's not that big a deal. Not enough to stalk the guy and talk about finding ways to threaten him.

Seriously, I wouldn't ever make threats/hurt the guy or whatever.

I am just looking for suggestions on getting my money back. The guy instantly answered every one of my emailed questions beforehand, and once I decided to return them, I received no response. Of course he is trying to keep the cash. He unloaded a pair of two different color shoes, and he knows it.

And, its kinda fun.
I believe that you wouldn't go through with it. But, at the same time, it's still an enormous overreaction. It's the type of loss of perspective that's becoming more common as eBay seeks to foster unrealistic expectations of its sellers.

It's creepy how much information the Internet makes available about us. And it's creepier still how many people really will use that information maliciously. You might not, but plenty of people do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads