• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retail Sales People Who Stare

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i work customer service, and at a certain all people look the same and you kind of have to remind yourself whether or not you've offered them help. It also could be they hate their job and you happen to be standing in front of them while they are glassy eyed day dreaming.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that was because of my avatar. It's like being on xbox live where you gotta hide who you are
tongue.gif

Btw, I was kidding. Of course I clicked report

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
People frequently stare as I try on clothes.

Maybe you should use a changing room.

K

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make a point of dressing so that people won't look at me like "are you sure you can afford this place?" when I go shopping. Too bad when you go to lower priced stores you get idiots asking you where stuff is and you're like "I don't work here..."

Walked into Holt Renfrew wearing beater jeans in a t-shirt while I was walking home from the lab one day and the staff looked like they were saying in their heads like "did you come in because you thought it was going to rain?"

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I make a point of dressing so that people won't look at me like "are you sure you can afford this place?" when I go shopping. Too bad when you go to lower priced stores you get idiots asking you where stuff is and you're like "I don't work here..."
Every time I step inside a J Crew (or Uniqlo for that matter) in Manhattan... must be my affinity for bow ties, cardigans and silly hipster glasses.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the real question here? Does the OP think the Sales Associates are making sure he doesn't steal something, or are they just giving him space, but want to get a commission if he acts like he might buy something. Personally I don't care if I get stared at as long as they leave me alone when all I want to do is browse. I'll take stares to pushy any day.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The thing to do is build trust by shopping at the store frequently and always buying something. After a few dozen visits, they'll stop paying such close attention, and then your time is ripe for a bit of shoplifting. Works for me.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agree. I only do this jil sander.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am not jet, I only play him on the inter webs.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robby517
Has nothing to do with looking poor, it's just a fact that young people dressed casual get stared at when they're not shopping for casual clothes.
I never get stared at when shopping for tailored clothing, you're just stuck on that previous level. Step yo game up, son

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I wonder if that was because of my avatar. It's like being on xbox live where you gotta hide who you are
tongue.gif

Btw, I was kidding. Of course I clicked report

I hate joining a Call of Duty game (even on PSN) and hearing that ****. And I'm not even black.

Anyway to OP: I never pay attention to the SAs and just look at clothes. After they see that I know what I'm doing I'll get offered some help.

nonissue

Reaction score
yah, as robbie mentioned, it could be evaluating cues to see if they can help you, or to try and remember if they've already talked to you. paranoid is the correct answer.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the OP, even non-retail help stares at him. Which to me means he is doing something wrong. You either look like you don't belong, are taking 40 items to the dressing room, or some other weird behavior.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads