Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Results of NYC trip

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Nov 12, 2004.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Well, I didn't do TOO much spending damage in NYC, altho it wasn't easy. This trip, I was much more impressed with Barneys, nice presentation and I found some great t-shirts (diesel and a brand I've never heard of, very cool chocolate brown with a pocketwatch print on front) Saks-- much less impressed with this time (merchandise seemed cramped, no more Oxxford clothes-- now it's domenico spano custom section. Â good deals on overcoats and cashmere scarfs under the saks brand) John Lobb-- pretty neat, but I don't care for the kind of stunted shape of the "veddy british shoes." I did pick up a jar of black polish, and three pairs of really nice flat shoelaces (two pair black, one pair light brown-- all woven waxed cotton). total cost-- $28 with tax Turnbull and Asser-- probably the highlight of the trip, lots of fun to shop. Â I actually kinda liked the suits, lots of hacking pockets and double vents, and the buttonholes were nicely done-- clearly handstitched, and nicely done. gloves, pocketsquares, and ties were of most interest to me for browsing. Bergdorf Goodman-- great as always, but I find there is simply less and less I actually need or want to buy these days (closet is about complete, I guess.). Â nothing really stood out in particular, altho I kinda liked the Etro suits with brightly colored linings and flat front trousers, I think they were about $1795 Didn't make it to two of the locations I'd planned-- Flusser (really out of the way, not on Madison or 5th Ave) and Art of Shaving (where in the hell is this place? Â I walked forever down Madison, but didn't get CLOSE to 373 Madison Avenue. Â Not worth the miles of walking, I guess.) Had a great time meeting Dorian (styled in classic British attire) from the forum; enjoyed great conversation and excellent cigars, and views of the pretty girls of the city (our waitress at the restaurant wasn't bad at all, and the flirting was a-flowin) Here's what I ended up getting; had to buy gifts for my wife for xmas and birthday, so no big purchases for me this trip: Turnbull and Asser pocket silk in french blue: [​IMG] Purple and navy tie from Turnbull, and a lightweight silk Charvet tie in silver with shimmering french blue woven circles from Bergdorf: [​IMG] Liked this burberry tie from Saks, for a brown cashmere sportcoat of mine: [​IMG] Also wanted to try an inexpensive shirt of reasonable quality with purple in it. Â Found this Burberry shirt, with thick MOP buttons, two button cuffs at Saks for $160. Â Liked the collar, nice inverted V shape (shirt is cut slender, with clearly high armholes). [​IMG]

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I have that same exact pocket square, heh.

koji

3. masterfred

masterfred Well-Known Member

Foxx, you didn't miss a damn thing at "The Art of Shaving." I've tried two different barbers there, and both managed to give me awful shaving "burns." I give myself far better shaves with the new Mach3 that pulses.

Shame you didn't see the Flusser shop. It's not a shopping destination in the way some stores are, as they rely on MTM, and don't have lots of inventory. Mark Rykken is a great guy. The stuff they have is quite pricey (I believe ties start at around $195). Nice, but limited, selection of those EG shoes.

4. jester

jester Senior member

That's a great pocket square, I'd like to get that.

I have that Charvet tie in a different color--it's wonderful.

Thanks for the great report.

5. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

my trip is next weekend... I am still deciding between Barney's and Bergdorf, as I'm trying to limit myself due to time constraints to only a few retail shops.

6. jester

jester Senior member

That's a tough decision to make....they're only a few blocks apart, sure you can't squeeze them both in?

7. MPS

MPS Senior member

You must have some sort of perceptual disturbance. Lobb lasts are longer than those of any other British manufacturer I've come across.

I like the houndstooth tie. I have one that is identical.

8. arvi

arvi Senior member

beautiful shirt..glad you enjoyed our city