• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ClassAct

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently sprayed my suede shoes with some protector and noticed that the nap had sort of flattened. I noticed it felt a bit harder and rougher than before.

Therefore I tried brushing it with a wire suede brush, but I noticed that the nap was actually being removed and so I stopped doing this. I then tried to brush it with a normal nylon bristle brush and the same thing was happening. I could see pieces of the suede on the brush and clearly the nap was being damaged.

So my question is, how do I restore the nap to being soft and textured without ruining it?

Thanks!

ClassAct

Reaction score
Woly waterproof protector 3X3

Just as a side note: I tried brushing a small part before spraying (to see if the nap would become nicer) and it had the same effect.

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Being in the U.S. I'm not familiar with the product. Looking at the label I suspect there is an ingredient in the formula that sort of glues down the nappe of the suede. I don't think this stuff is made for dress-wear. You may want to contact the maker and ask for their suggestion:

Highly effective impregnation for smooth and suede leathers as well as textiles. Protects shoes, bags, and leather garments from wetness, repels oil, and dirt. Recommended also for foot-wear and clothing with breathable membrane (e.g. SympaTex). Apply evenly from 15-20 cm on clean and dry leather, leave to dry for 30 minutes. Apply regularly for optimum protection. Do not use on patent leathers. Suitable for all colors. Warning! Breathing in the fumes can be harmful to health. Do not use or allow to dry indoors. Only spray for a few seconds! Irritating to skin. Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment. Vapors may cause drowsiness and dizziness. Pressurized container. Protect from sunlight and do not expose to temperatures exceeding 50oC (120oF). Do not pierce or burn, even after use. Do not spray on a naked flame or any incandescent material. Keep away from source of ignition ¡V No smoking. Keep out of reach of children

ClassAct

Reaction score
I see, but that doesn't explain the same symptoms I experienced when brushing prior to spraying them?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's causing the problem you are describing.

Perhaps the WIRE (metal) brush is too hard on the nap?

Saphir makes a crepe suede/nubuck brush that may be the most gentle.

Alternatively, you may have shoes made from poor quality suede. Can you post pictures?

ClassAct

Reaction score

There you go. Sorry it's not a great image but as you can see, parts of the suede have become stringy and if you rub them they will fall off.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a decent burial coming up.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that suede looks pretty bad.

run a lighter over a small area to see if that doesn't burn off the long bits without leaving black marks. if that works it's your solution.

If not simply use the lighter to set them alight, put them in a boat and give them a proper viking burial

ClassAct

Reaction score
Is it the suede which is the problem. I only got it like this after brushing part of it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't mean to speak badly of your shoes, but high quality suede probably would not do this regardless of treatment. What brand shoe?

I think that you have described the real issue - crap shoes.

ClassAct

Reaction score
Thanks, that's reassuring that it's just that particular suede. I have a much more expensive suede shoe which I am now scared to brush because of this...

Gerry

Reaction score
Maybe the condition of the suede was not great before you sprayed the shoes. Are the shoes well worn. I have used similar products on suede shoes but applied it when they were new and I did not have any issues similar to yours. Sure the protecdtor spray slightly darkened the suede but otherwise the shoes were fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads