• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of dark brown suede shoes that are getting pretty light toward the toe area. What's the best way to go about restoring / darkening them back to the original color (same as the rest of the shoe)? They are worn enough that my simple brushing doesn't work. Is there an alternative?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A competant cobbler may be able to spray on new dye, or you can just embrace the wear as a mark of character.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look for a product called Suede Renew.

lefty

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Thanks! Anyone else weigh in or have before after pics?

saphirinvulnerenrenovat.jpg

I used the right one: RÃ
00a9.png
novateur, colour 05 - marron foncÃ
00a9.png
(dark brown).

Sprayed the left shoe, brushed the right one (against the nap).

01rnovateuropsavileseen.jpg

02rnovateuropsaviles.jpg

03rnovateuropsaviles.jpg

Both sprayed. The left on already dried a little and is a bit lighter because of that.

04rnovateuropsavilesall.jpg

I'd use gloves. The spray is rather 'painty'. And I'd only use it on dark brown shoes.

05rnovateuropsavileshan.jpg

After an hour:

06rnovateuropsavilesdro.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^that's an amazing, info-filled answer to a question.

By the way, how is the Saphir suede renovateur different from your run of the mill suede protector spray, which also naturally darkens the suede?

NVM: found this on Will's blog/sale site:

"Saphir's Renovateur Suede/Nubuck spray cleans, re-colors, and waterproofs suede and Nubuck shoes, leather goods and clothing while the sweet almond oil in the spray is helping to maintain the silky appearance of the skin.

Offered in black, neutral, dark brown and medium brown."

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
By the way, how is the Saphir suede renovateur different from your run of the mill suede protector spray, which also naturally darkens the suede?

You mean colourless protector spray? The colour-renovateur* stays dark(er) after drying. It contains quite a lot of pigment.

*) There's a colourless one as well. I don't know how that one differs from the Invulner, which I use for my other (coloured) suede shoes.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what SF should be all about, a question asked and a fantastic concise imformative answer. No bloody snark or axe to grind and hopefully this is why SF will survive. NOBD your a credit welldone my friend.
teacha.gif
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa.

I wonder if this would work to darken my camel-colored chukkas

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD

the mother theresa of suede owner's
laugh.gif

the bottles with sponge applicator work for me also. very good results, though they don't seem to have almond oil as ingredient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads