• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

restoring elasticity to ribbed waistband and cuffs of jacket?

Kris

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on whether or not it is possible, methods, etc?

I have a vintage jacket in near perfect condition except that the ribbed elastic portions are stretched out. Wondering if heat or some other approach can be used..

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know the material of the ribbing? Not sure about wool/cash, but cotton can return to its original shape with a simple hot soak.

Kris

Reaction score
the ribbing is 100% acrylic. the jacket is leather.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
the ribbing is 100% acrylic. the jacket is leather.

No luck. The acrylic is probably blended with some kind of elastic material (lycra/spandex/etc), which, once fatigued, loses its memory permanently.

A knit material that will shrink like cotton or wool can return to it's old shape, but acrylic won't.

Kris

Reaction score
the care tag says the ribbing is 100% acrylic, no other materials, but either way seems like it wont shrink with heat any more than, say, an acrylic sweater...?

i wonder if a seamstress could remove some of it to add tension. probably would cost more than it would be worth.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
the care tag says the ribbing is 100% acrylic, no other materials, but either way seems like it wont shrink with heat any more than, say, an acrylic sweater...? i wonder if a seamstress could remove some of it to add tension. probably would cost more than it would be worth.
"Acrylic" is a generic term for any man-made, oil-based extruded polymer fiber. Including stretchy materials. Heat could work, but will also destroy any remaining stretch memory left, so it's a process of diminishing returns. Alterations might be your last resort. How bad is it? Is it affecting the fit?

Kris

Reaction score
It's not bad on the cuffs, but i think the waistband kind of kills it. it's a harrington, which has a distinct fit. sits ok in the back because of my build, but looks obviously "ungathered" in the front.

if only i had a "butt in the front"!

sbbbjm

Reaction score
so if its a leather jacket and the ribbing was sewn onto the cuffs, waistband, maybe neck . . . you could remove it, and replace it with brand new ribbing.

i'm sure there are places you could find the material online and a tailor should be able to sew it on.

Kris

Reaction score
I think I'll get an estimate for that on my way home from work. May not be too high.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
there are shops that dedicate work to replacing rib trim on vintage bomber jackets, it's about $50 if I recall

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Replacing the ribbing is the 'proper' solution, it will cost you a bit, though.

You can also have a tailor simply sew a seam along the bottom of the cuff, tightening the elastic and tightening up the cuff for a while. It should be pretty damn cheap.

And heat will destroy elastic.

katy

Reaction score
simple hot soak? My husband has 3 jackets with sports team in perfect condition except for the wrist being stretched out from him pushing them up I keep them they are expensive I just cant bring myself to get rid of them any help would be so appreciated

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads