• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restless Leg Syndrome

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I type this as it's nearly two in the morning here in Chicago.

So...anybody else on SF have teh jimmy legz? Do you find anything in particular that helps?

I've heard so many different things that can cause it (deficiencies in potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc.) but nothing definitive. I usually run at night before I go to bed to try and calm the sensations down and take an older medication that's used to treat Parkinson's, but that's about it. Usually it does the trick enough for me to sleep but sometimes it really acts up (like tonight).

I hear green tea, salmon and anything containing high amounts of electrolytes also help on the cellular level for treating this annoying problem but I haven't had much luck even though I love tea, salmon and gatorade.

Any other RLS sufferers out there have any unique insights that have helped?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year my left leg started up with this, always in the evening around 8-9p. Really is an irritating and unnerving sensation. I figured it was related to my workouts and something nutritional. I also have a mild muscular neuropathy and, before I knew about RLS, I worried that it might be that worsening.

At any rate, about when I thought I should go to the doc, it stopped. And oddly enough I had just a mild twinge last night for the first time in a long while... Sorry I'm not any help but I'd be interested in hearing more from folks. Mine only was an issue lying down and was never so bad as to prevent sleep.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Last year my left leg started up with this, always in the evening around 8-9p. Really is an irritating and unnerving sensation. I figured it was related to my workouts and something nutritional. I also have a mild muscular neuropathy and, before I knew about RLS, I worried that it might be that worsening.

At any rate, about when I thought I should go to the doc, it stopped. And oddly enough I had just a mild twinge last night for the first time in a long while... Sorry I'm not any help but I'd be interested in hearing more from folks. Mine only was an issue lying down and was never so bad as to prevent sleep.

Mine started in my mid-twenties and would just happen maybe once or twice a year at night, but as I got older, it definitely increased. Apparently it's common for it it get more severe, the older you get. At 33, I now experience it any time I am at rest. In the daytime when I'm sitting, I'm constantly tapping one leg or the other, which really annoys my wife but she understands why I do it.

The Parkinson's medication definitely helps it, and at $9 a month vs. the $65 for the Mirapex, I'll take it. I hope that as they learn more about the condition, they will be able to find a way to permanently treat it. I'm just grateful it's not anything more serious.

mikej77

Reaction score
I have heard that compression gear can help with it. The one thing is that you have to make sure to use the recovery compression gear and not the active compression gear if you are wearing it for long periods of time. I think Zoots is supposed to be the best brand out there.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burningbright- that's too bad, hope you get it figured out.
Mine is just this sudden, increasing mild burning/need to flinch. As soon as I do, it stops to either start again or not.

I do think that fatigue plays a role. I had a heavy leg workout two days ago and am paying for it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had this all my life, and my mother too. Mag Citrate seemed to help me more than anything. It's not something I worry about. My woman has it too, so we just tend to shake the bed together heh.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I've had this all my life, and my mother too. Mag Citrate seemed to help me more than anything. It's not something I worry about. My woman has it too, so we just tend to shake the bed together heh.

Well, if anything at least I'll be regular.
blush.gif

thecentennial

Reaction score
Sometimes I get RLS -like symptoms in my fu**ing shoulder..yes..shoulder..amazingly insufferable...thankfully only a couple of times a year but when it does, I want to rip my arm off and jam a screwdriver into my socket.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Starting at about 9 pm, I get an overwhelming sensation that my legs needs to be stretched, which is what I do. It doesn't hurt and isn't debilitating, just slightly annoying.

I don't try anything for it because it's not too bad. It never wakes me up, but sometimes makes falling asleep difficult.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Starting at about 9 pm, I get an overwhelming sensation that my legs needs to be stretched, which is what I do. It doesn't hurt and isn't debilitating, just slightly annoying.

I don't try anything for it because it's not too bad. It never wakes me up, but sometimes makes falling asleep difficult.

Glad to hear that is sounds like a mild case so far. I hope it stays that way.

For me, the sensation is almost like having a panic attack that is localized solely in your hips and legs and it always happens when all you want to do is sleep. This is why I have to go running at night, to try and get them to calm down. It rarely works with just the running alone, but the running/meds combo seems to do the trick.

And yes, I've read that there are cases where RLS is actually RAS, hitting the arms and shoulders. They're definitely in the minority but still present.

There's actually a doctor up in the Schaumburg, IL area that my friend was telling me about. Interesting story behind her (the doctor). She's super young, has a PhD in molecular biology and a PhD in medicine. Apparently a lot of high-profile people go to see her for various things, one name dropped was Bono. I guess she's unique because she addresses everything on the molecular level. According to my friend, she's had patients come to see her with RLS that are successfully treated for it and it never bothers them again.

Not sure whether to cry quackery or not. Regardless I doubt my insurance would even cover it and I know she's not cheap.

Monaco

Reaction score
I just wiki'd it but I still don't understand what this RLS is all about, I guess one has to experience it to actually understand it.

thecentennial

Reaction score
Some people describe it as having "itchy bones" in your legs - you get a itchy/tingly sensation in your legs, and you just have to move them / tense the muscles etc to reduce the sensation.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigt
Some people describe it as having "itchy bones" in your legs - you get a itchy/tingly sensation in your legs, and you just have to move them / tense the muscles etc to reduce the sensation.

That's a pretty close description for my case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads