1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Restaurants with Dress Codes: Take Back The Night!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bounder, Jan 8, 2011.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I have never been moved to go one place over another because of its dress code. Why on earth do you care what others are wearing?

2. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Please take off shoes ...
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

I have never been moved to go one place over another because of its dress code. Why on earth do you care what others are wearing?

Big +1 to this. I have been out to many restaurants in a suit. I could care less if the other patrons were wearing suits or nice dresses. Annoying people will be annoying, whether they're dressed in $100 cheap suits or in jeans. Stop worrying so goddamn much about everyone else and just eat your meal and enjoy life.

4. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Take your hat off, we don't sell hot dogs here, took the bleachers out last week.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

5. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Impossible task - at best you can compile an indicative list but any potential user would be foolish to think it complete or accurate.

6. WorldTraveller

WorldTraveller Active Member

I go to nice dinners as often as possible and I would say that other than Manhattan (LE BERNARDIN HOW I MISS YOU) I'd wager you're really talking about 10 restaurants or less per major metro area.

I spent a lot of years in Detroit, and went to pretty much every high end restaurant, and even though there is tons of money and high end clientelle even today (it has more millionaires than all but 7 other cities in the US), I was never required to wear a jacket or a tie (I still did occasionally though).

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

How is the food in these places?

I'd rather go to a place with great food, then go to place to see other people dressed up. Also, most of the places that do have these policies keep "loaner jackets" which make the people there look even shittier than they would if they came in jeans and a tee, cause now there's a blue blazer that doesn't fit over it.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Requiring a jacket, while I can appreciate the intent, mostly = fail.

For example... a guy can show up in $2000 Lobb's, bespoke flannel trou, and a charvet shirt and tie and theoretically get turned away at the French Laundry. While another shows up wearing black Rockports, faded olive Dockers , a short sleeve plaid Chap shirt with no-name tie and an ill-fitting black sport coat (aka typical American dress-up). Now who adds more to the "desired" elegance of the joint?

9. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

I am with the 'who cares?' camp.

I can appreciate that the restaurants can set their own rules to project some sort of formality or class. However, I don't decide on where to dine based on their dress code.

Real world practicality hopefully trump make-up contrivance.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Big +1 to this. I have been out to many restaurants in a suit. I could care less if the other patrons were wearing suits or nice dresses. Annoying people will be annoying, whether they're dressed in $100 cheap suits or in jeans. Stop worrying so goddamn much about everyone else and just eat your meal and enjoy life.
    +2. I enjoy dressing nicely for a meal on occasion, especially where the atmosphere and food provide for a great dining experience such as Daniel's in NY or Everest in Chicago. As long as other patrons are dressed decently, then I couldn't care less about their attire.

11. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

21 Club does not require a jacket. Upstairs at 21 requires a jacket, but not a tie (and I suspect if you're a paying customer they'd let you slide). When I attended at Upstairs everyone did have a jacket, 50% with ties.
    The 21 club requires a jacket for Upstairs and the Bar Room. The tie requirement was dropped about a year ago. I ate at the Bar Room a month ago and all the men wore jackets. The food was forgettable. http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/hours.jsp

12. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Was going to say Prime Rib in Philadelphia... but just checked and they no longer require a jacket.

I believe the original Prime Rib in Baltimore still requires a jacket except during Restaurant Week.

13. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

I've been to plenty restuarants with a jacket and tie policy but to be honest the food was that poor that i would have rather eaten my jacket and tie !!!!!

Dress code isnt always the guarantee of decent food only the guarantee that people will be dressed in a jacket and tie.

14. FELT

FELT Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of imposed dress codes - doesn't equate to stylish clientele and certainly has no bearing on quality of food. But do you *really* not care what others are wearing? When you go to such lengths over what you wear yourself? I'd much rather be surrounded by people dressed well, and preferably in some harmony with their surroundings (ie if the restaurant is stylishly designed, it's a pain if the customers bring down the aesthetic tone).

15. mafoofan

Nope, really don't care.

16. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

The only such restaurant left in new Orleans. Sadly, Commander's Palace is now: "No shorts. Jackets preferred at dinner." according to their website. It seems everyone is now catering to tourists with no desire to dress up.

The last time I was there, last year actually, they were still handing out complimentary jackets to those who did not come so equipped. I guess they have caved though, which really is sad if you ask me. I really get pissed when I dress for dinner, only to be surrounded by slobs in shorts and tennis shoes.

Mike

17. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 Well-Known Member

I was unthrilled. But I have noticed this trend towards sportsbarification, especially lately. Well, it's time for the counter-revolution. Somehow, someway, we have to preserve at least the possibility of enjoying a sense of occasion. Everything need not be reduced to the lowest common denominator.

You're much too late. Even if a place required a jacket, people would just wear an ill fitting black suit jacket with matching square toed rubber soled shoes.

18. mafoofan

You guys honestly care how other people dress?

19. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

I go to a restaurant to eat, and I could care less about the dress code as long as the food is great.

In fact, most of the really good restaurants I've been to have had a relaxed lounge-like atmosphere, where despite the clear affluence of most customers, everyone was dressed comfortably.

Why on earth should I have a tie on when I eat? It's painful. And why on earth would I care about what the hell other people are wearing? I'm there to stuff my face.

20. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

You guys honestly care how other people dress?

Yes, I do...at certain places. I don't know if you have ever been to New Orleans, but Commander's Palace is an old Uptown antebellum mansion. It is a beautiful setting and a grand old establishment. It is a New Orleans tradition and I think coming in there like a slob is a slap in the face. Part of the charm of that place is the environment it creates, which is from another time. I would never go there not dressed, period.

Now, there are plenty of places where I don't care, but they are not Commander's.

Mike