• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurants recommendations for Los Angeles

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done some searches and read through the various posts on the forum, but I can't quite find recommendations in line with some of my requirements.. I'm trying to coordinate with a few different people on my trip to LA this weekend, so need to find a bit of mediocrity...

- Something that can accommodate 5 on short notice this Saturday night
- Asian food preferred (not Thai)
- Something near Santa Monica
- $100 per person limit for food and drink

This group isn't the kind that really takes well to fine dining, so I'm looking for something fun. We did Boa Steakhouse in SM last year, and everyone loved it. Personally, I saw through the trendy, over-priced steak, but it worked out well for what we wanted. I really enjoy something different, so a shabu shabu joint or something would be great. Thai is out cause one of my friends is Thai and he'll only eat his family's Thai food. A "fusion" place would work, since some of the people really enjoy Sushi, but not everyone.

Thanks..

I realize I am essentially asking for a recommendation to a half-assed restaurant, but this is what will go over best.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I have done some searches and read through the various posts on the forum, but I can't quite find recommendations in line with some of my requirements.. I'm trying to coordinate with a few different people on my trip to LA this weekend, so need to find a bit of mediocrity...

- Something that can accommodate 5 on short notice this Saturday night
- Asian food preferred (not Thai)
- Something near Santa Monica
- $100 per person limit for food and drink

This group isn't the kind that really takes well to fine dining, so I'm looking for something fun. We did Boa Steakhouse in SM last year, and everyone loved it. Personally, I saw through the trendy, over-priced steak, but it worked out well for what we wanted. I really enjoy something different, so a shabu shabu joint or something would be great. Thai is out cause one of my friends is Thai and he'll only eat his family's Thai food. A "fusion" place would work, since some of the people really enjoy Sushi, but not everyone.

Thanks..

I realize I am essentially asking for a recommendation to a half-assed restaurant, but this is what will go over best.

JR Seafood in west LA is good. One of Yujean Kang's two restaurants used to be in Beverly Hills, don't know if it's still there. I have only eaten at the other (Pasadena) location, which was good. If you're willing to venture over to Culver City, Beacon in the Helms Bakery Complex is great. Chaya Venice isn't Asian, but has a lot of Asian/fusion-influenced seafood dishes, including sushi and (iirc) sashimi.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
How about something like Benihana in Santa Monica? Asian food, you can easily get a table for 5, the chef puts on a fun show, not all that expensive...

Apparently just off the 3rd Street Promenade, so easy access and parking.

http://www.benihana.com/locator_detail.asp?id=82

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
How about something like Benihana in Santa Monica? Asian food, you can easily get a table for 5, the chef puts on a fun show, not all that expensive...

Apparently just off the 3rd Street Promenade, so easy access and parking.

http://www.benihana.com/locator_detail.asp?id=82

You're headed in the right direction, but I hope we could back it up a little and find something non-chain.

Thanks for the suggestions. LD, I'm looking into your recs.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You're headed in the right direction, but I hope we could back it up a little and find something non-chain.

Thanks for the suggestions. LD, I'm looking into your recs.

You'll want to stay off the 3rd Street Promenade in that case, it's pretty much all chains. My initial thought was to suggest Ahnold's old restaurant, Schatzi's, but apparently it's been gone for the last year or so.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Here's my nomination, Gyu-Kaku in W LA/Bev Hills

It's marketed as "Japanese BBQ" which means it's korean BBQ but since "japanese" brings in more diners than "korean" I think it's a smart mix of terminology. Most of the menu is the cook it yourself marinated raw meats that are brought out, but there are other cooked items that are Korean based. You won't find any typical Japanese food here like teriyaki, tempura, etc. It's fun cooking the meat yourself and it tastes great.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Even though it's a chain (and one of the largest in Japan), I also really recommend Gyu.

There really isn't a hell of a lot in Santa Monica in terms of food that's blown me away. 3rd St. is edible but 99% of the restaurants you find you eat at because you've somehow ended up there and are hungry. If you're stuck on the "fusion" idea, there's one on 3rd St on the very north side and across the street from Barnes & Noble. It's okay, nothing special, but is big enough to accomodate your party without much hassle.

There are some nicer places on Ocean but if you're looking for something a bit more laid back, I wouldn't recommend them.

So I've got three places in mind for "different" in Santa Monica:
Ye Olde King's Head for some fantastic fish n' chips.
Library Alehouse for a great menu, great food, great beer, and great atmosphere out in the patio.
Bubba Gump's. Yeah, I know, but it's location, location, location. It's located out on the pier with some great views of Malibu.

But if you don't mind the drive up PCH, Duke's in Malibu would probably be my top choice.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Is that place Cinch still open? I seem to recall 2 years ago it was somewhat Asian-influenced (perhaps just the decor?).

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in a suggestion for Gonpachi on La Cienega, across the street from Gyu-Kaku.

There are several Gonpachi restaurants in Tokyo (the Nishi-Azabu one was the visual inspiration for the House of Blue Leaves in Kill Bill Vol. 1) and though the LA one is Americanized, it's still pretty good. They have pretty good yakitori and a guy who makes soba on-site. And at some point after your third bottle of reishu you'll be wondering when the chick in the Game of Death tracksuit is gonna come slice you.

Gyu-Kaku is pretty good, even if it takes a bit of mental gymnastics to wrap your head around the concept of an Americanized version of Japanized Korean food. I think that Woo Lae Oak (directly across from Gyu-Kaku) is just as good if not better when it comes to whitewashed K-food.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with LD, look into Beacon and Chaya. They have the vibe you're looking for. The decor is comparable to Boa. The food at Beacon is excellent. Gyu in Westwood is good, but not the best location. There's also a relatively new restaurant on Main Street in Santa Monica called Hidden. Mixed reviews but it might fit the bill.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Library Alehouse for a great menu, great food, great beer, and great atmosphere out in the patio.

Proving once again that a stopped douche is right twice a day. I haven't been to the Library Alehouse in several years but have always really liked it. For the first couple of years of its existence I lived within walking distance, which was great. It's much more casual than your budget suggests you might be aiming for, but you could grab one of the picnic tables out back (I'm pretty sure they heaters), order a few pitchers and some food, and have a good time.

Briancl, there's also the Enterprise Fish Co. in that same neighborhood (between Main and Pacific, a block or two south of Navy St.) which is decent, big enough that getting seated shouldn't be a problem, and well within your budget. It's seafood (duh) generally prepared in a more traditionally American style than the fancier presentation a few blocks away at Chaya.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
I'll throw in a suggestion for Gonpachi on La Cienega, across the street from Gyu-Kaku.

There are several Gonpachi restaurants in Tokyo (the Nishi-Azabu one was the visual inspiration for the House of Blue Leaves in Kill Bill Vol. 1) and though the LA one is Americanized, it's still pretty good. They have pretty good yakitori and a guy who makes soba on-site. And at some point after your third bottle of reishu you'll be wondering when the chick in the Game of Death tracksuit is gonna come slice you.

Gyu-Kaku is pretty good, even if it takes a bit of mental gymnastics to wrap your head around the concept of an Americanized version of Japanized Korean food. I think that Woo Lae Oak (directly across from Gyu-Kaku) is just as good if not better when it comes to whitewashed K-food.

Woo Lae Oak and Gyu-Kaku are both pretty good, but if you want Korean BBQ, I think it's worth the extra ten minutes of driving to go to Chosun Galbee on Olympic near Western. Cool space (and a lot of its so the wait's never been that long, even on a Saturday night with no reservations) and excellent food.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good stuff. Looking into the recs now..

If you guys are bored, you could help me dig up a rec for something out of their comfort zone. I make no promises that my group will accept it, but I'd like to give the option:

- non-asian, *good* restaurant.. perhaps steak or something non-ethnic
- still in the same area
- still same "lively" atmosphere idea
- still likely to accommodate 5 this saturday

Thanks again..

stingray3

Reaction score
All good stuff. Looking into the recs now..

If you guys are bored, you could help me dig up a rec for something out of their comfort zone. I make no promises that my group will accept it, but I'd like to give the option:

- non-asian, *good* restaurant.. perhaps steak or something non-ethnic
- still in the same area
- still same "lively" atmosphere idea
- still likely to accommodate 5 this saturday

Thanks again..

Border Grill fits the description. The food is not amazing, but it's pretty good (especially the appetizers). The atmosphere is lively and they make a mean margarita.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Woo Lae Oak and Gyu-Kaku are both pretty good, but if you want Korean BBQ, I think it's worth the extra ten minutes of driving to go to Chosun Galbee on Olympic near Western. Cool space (and a lot of its so the wait's never been that long, even on a Saturday night with no reservations) and excellent food.

I usually send groups with unknown tolerances to the more Americanized joints. Some people freak out at signs in written in hangul, especially when there's MS-13 grafitti in the parking lot . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads