1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Fabulous. I am a student: I'm always free.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Also, if you often find yourself in that area, and given your liking for oysters, Sansom Street Oyster House is a couple blocks away at Sansom St, between 15th and 16th.

3. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

Fabulous. I am a student: I'm always free.

I thought you were in business.

Also, if you often find yourself in that area, and given your liking for oysters, Sansom Street Oyster House is a couple blocks away at Sansom St, between 15th and 16th.

Thank you, I was told of there, but never attended.Have you been to the sushi place,on Sansom, near the hotel?

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Are you in business?

There are a few on Sansom. The best traditional Japanese restaurant in Center City (excluding Morimoto) is between 17th and 18th called Genji. There, you may find comfort, eating alone at the sushi bar. I myself eat, and order, from there often. Among the cooked dishes, hamachi kama (yellowtail collar) is one of my favourites.

Next door is a small creperie - really quite good and charming. I believe the owner is a young French lady; or at least last time I went she served me.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Dorsia?

Nobody goes there anymore.

Finally, I can get a reservation!

Jon.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Might as well add some recommendations of my own in Tucson, AZ.

One of my favourites:

Sher-e Punjab.
    Grant and First. Very nice indian restaraunt. Always lost of Indian students and faculty. I love their Shashi Korma lamb. Avoid the buffet, get their actual dishes. Good bouquet - delicately aromatic food. The one place in town whose that I cannot resist.

Zemam
    On Speedway. Ethiopian/Eritrean food. Grab a chunk of injera off the single dish on the table and indugle. I leave there stuffed and pleased like a well-fed python.

Le Rendezvous
    French standard/nouveau cuisine. My wife informs me that the escargot was pretty good (I never was much for eating molluscs, arthropods and the like, lol). Excellent service and good food. Portions were perfectly sized for me. Nice atmosphere, one of the few restaraunts in town that you may see people in other than shorts. Seen people in suits a few times too (other than myself I mean).

Now, in Cyprus:
    H Oraia Ellas (Ee or-ae-a aellas) - translates as Beautiful Greece.
    In the small village of Vouni, about 45 minutes from Limassol/Lemesos.
    Very small, in an old traditional village house beautifully restored. The coupls that owns it does everything - excellent for an intimate meal - they take a maximum of 20 people I think. My favourite place PERIOD. Menu changes every time, varietal dishes from around the Greek world. Everytime I go there I have at least a few things I have never had before. The food and the hospitality are just plain amazing.

7. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

Are you in business?

I don't know yet.

The best traditional Japanese restaurant in Center City (excluding Morimoto) is between 17th and 18th called Genji. There, you may find comfort, eating alone at the sushi bar. I myself eat, and order, from there often. Among the cooked dishes, hamachi kama (yellowtail collar) is one of my favourites.

I have eaten there(alone) at the bar, in the front right. Some sake they have, is good too, did you try? After the 1st, you forget, if you're without company.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

They do have some good sakes and fairly priced too. I remember enjoying Madoka and Yumeakari - well-balanced and food-friendly. The wines, by contrast, are rather insipid.

9. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

I remember enjoying Madoka and Yumeakari - well-balanced and food-friendly.
    Do you remember which, is more dry in taste?

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

They are both similarly off-dry. Kira is dry and strong, and less money.

11. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

They are both similarly off-dry. Kira is dry and strong, and less money.
    I was too confused(timid) to ask, as here in NYC, some places provide #'s for the dry taste (+/-). I hope to go there, again soon.

12. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

May I ask why you find yourself in Philadelphia, especially around Rittenhouse Square often?

There are many fine places to dine in this area.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

A few additional unmentioned suggestions for the LA/OC crowd.

Pascal's - Costa Mesa: A sleeper. French (provencal). A real sleeper, since they've been in business a long time and isn't as trendy as the newer restaurants.

Napa Rose - Anaheim: Who'd have thought that a Disneyland restaurant can be serious and deliver on the goods. Fantastic wine list. GM/Sommelier Michael Jordan will not steer you wrong if you give him a chance to match some good wines with your meal.

The Hobbit - Orange: A dining experience. Make sure you have at least three hours to devote to the meal as it is prix-fixe and the meal include a tour of the grounds and the wine cellar.

Studio - Laguna Beach: Located in the Montage Resort. Most restaurant that have a beautiful ocean view figures they can get away with a mediocre meal. Not the case here. They'll deliver the goods, though definitely high on the price scale.

Diaghilev - West Hollywood: Located in the Wyndham Bel Age Hotel. Franco-Russian meal with the best selection of ice cold vodka to choose from. I have never had a meal where I have received better service than I did at Diaghilev.

To comment on that list, Vineyard Room (open Fri/Sat only) inside the Disney California Adventure theme park is also very good. It shares a lot of the Napa Rose expertise (and cellar) and makes a nice break from slogging through the park. I like dining there in the summer--my kids sit silently watching the Electrical Parade go by, while I sling back ice-cold Hangar One in peace.

Diaghilev is great. I haven't been there for a few years, but I'm glad to hear the service is still good. Is Dimitri still the maitre d'? Long ago, they didn't charge for the vodka, which was incredible, especially since it was way back in the day when you couldn't get twenty different flavored vodkas at the local grocery.

14. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

May I ask why you find yourself in Philadelphia, especially around Rittenhouse Square often?

I have no reason, but I have a problem in the Northeast,after or before I try to enjoy the time.

There are many fine places to dine in this area.

Yes, but I don't like places, such of Rouge.

15. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Rouge is one of the best examples of the self-consciously yuppified atmospheres that dominates too many of the better-known and popular restaurants in the area. It is also not a place to eat alone.

16. A Y

A Y Senior member

Any recommendations for the area near UCLA? Something that's open late (after 10PM) for an aftershow meal would be great. Thanks.

--Andre

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any recommendations for the area near UCLA? Something that's open late (after 10PM) for an aftershow meal would be great. Thanks. --Andre
    How near UCLA does it have to be? Vincente in Brentwood is OK, but not great and a little expensive. If I were you I would go to Lucques in W. Hollywood. The food is much better than anything close to UCLA and they take reservations until 11 on most days and midnight on Fri and Sat. If you are on a date, The Little Door is a great spot. The food is good, not great, but the atmosphere is the best in LA. It is also open late. I think that it is probably the best non-Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles right now. UCLA area is not great for food.

18. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

To comment on that list, Vineyard Room (open Fri/Sat only) inside the Disney California Adventure theme park is also very good. It shares a lot of the Napa Rose expertise (and cellar) and makes a nice break from slogging through the park. I like dining there in the summer--my kids sit silently watching the Electrical Parade go by, while I sling back ice-cold Hangar One in peace.

Diaghilev is great. I haven't been there for a few years, but I'm glad to hear the service is still good. Is Dimitri still the maitre d'? Long ago, they didn't charge for the vodka, which was incredible, especially since it was way back in the day when you couldn't get twenty different flavored vodkas at the local grocery.

I enjoyed Diaghilev as well. You guys are right, the service is excellent. I remember paying for the flavored vodka though, and I recall they only had three varities...pepper, lemon, and something else. I wish they would redecorate.

I disagree about Napa Rose. I didn't like it there at all. The food wasn't memorable, staff too young, too well lit...too disney. Good place if you're gonna take your family, I guess, but not what I'm looking for in a restaurant.

My favorite restaurant right now is Bastide. The food is excellent, the service warm, and the decor is right up my alley: quiet and elegant. The price tag can get astronomical though.

19. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

How near UCLA does it have to be?

Vincente in Brentwood is OK, but not great and a little expensive. If I were you I would go to Lucques in W. Hollywood. The food is much better than anything close to UCLA and they take reservations until 11 on most days and midnight on Fri and Sat. I think that it is probably the best non-Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles right now. UCLA area is not great for food.

In the Santa Monica area, how about Valentino, Drago, Melisse, Wilshire or Giraffe? I don't know about their hours...

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

In the Santa Monica area, how about Valentino, Drago, Melisse, Wilshire or Giraffe? I don't know about their hours...

Melisse is terrific, but I always think of it as a restaurant that IS the entertainment rather than in addition to a show. It is pretty pricey too, but I have really enjoyed it. It would be a great choice.

Lucques has much better food and a nicer room than the others IMO.