• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that he means aunt pitty pats kitchen
I think you mean PITTY PATS PORCH, gosh I have not heard that name in a long time, but the Tea Room believe me is incredible, just down from the Fox Theatre, my wife ate there last weekend after going to the Fox for a matinee...she loves the fried green tomatos.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, I haven't been in atlanta in maybe 7 years, except for the airport. the tea room is great, and their was a bar-b-q out on Jimmy Carter (with the name of a man, and I believe that it was part of a smal chain) that is responsible for one of my love handles that also had pretty good fried tommatos, if I remember correctly.

I also seem to remember that Magionnes was very good - one of the more authentic italian resteraunts that I have encountered in america (although I know that is sacrilege) I have trouble finding italian in new york that I like.

I spent 3 months in atlanta in 98, more or less. I loved it, but I didn't have to commute - I stayed at a hotel suite thta I also used as an office.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maggiano's is great, but if you like your Italian with a good spice of garlic, then when in Atlanta, you need to try Provino's or Ippilito's, these are great food places that will not kill you budget.

Something nice to be able to talk about Atlanta finally having reasonably good food outside the Varsity.

craig

Reaction score
Fatt Matts in atlanta is also delicious. They have two places both next to each other. One serves BBQ the other Fried Chicken. Both come highly recommend. If you are ever in Athens, georgia Home of UGA and about an hour and a half outside of Atlanta. Weaver D's has some of the best soul food around. He is also the guy that REM got their Album title "Automatic for the People." When you order food he lets you know "It's automatic". Just thought I would share that.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, now at UGA, let's talk The Taco Stand....am I right or what...and don't forget about The Grill, good ole days, were you at UGA early enough to remeber the DAWG HOUSE, cheapest pizza and beer in town. But, I might be a bit older than you, that was a long time ago.

craig

Reaction score
I am a bit younger. Graduated in 2002. I lived on T-Stand. Cheap and good. If anyone on this board ever has a spare weekend, a trip to Athens is definately worth the time. Great bars, good restaurants, and cheap. They actually have a decent mens store in downtown. I think it is called George Deans. Not the best for deals, but it worked in a pinch when I was in school.

Sevcom

Reaction score
I do miss Fatt Matt's, although I don't miss the heartburn that accompanied it. Maggiano's was pretty good, but it served fairly large portions; I tended to go there with a group. Dante's was also fun, since I'm a big fan of fondue, and my girlfriend's mom is a friend of Dante.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do miss Fatt Matt's, although I don't miss the heartburn that accompanied it. Maggiano's was pretty good, but it served fairly large portions; I tended to go there with a group. Dante's was also fun, since I'm a big fan of fondue, and my girlfriend's mom is a friend of Dante.
Have not been down to Dante's in a while, not since the fire. But an interesting article concerning the possible sale to a group including, funny enough a man whose shoes I showed on this site, some Lobbs, John Williams. Interesting read. Dante's may sale

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about favorite burger place?

For me, Burger Bar in Vegas is great, as is Dotty's in Madison, WI (my home town) Red Robin is actaully surprisingly good for a chain.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about favorite burger place?

For me, Burger Bar in Vegas is great, as is Dotty's in Madison, WI (my home town) Red Robin is actaully surprisingly good for a chain.
VARSITY....LARGEST OLDEST HOTDOG/HAMBURGER PLACE IN THE WORLD.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to post full reviews soon, preparing them, here are a few soundbites of mine from Vegas places:

Lawry's: Great Prime Rib and steaks, very underrated, off the strip but very close by on Flamingo.

Prime: Jean Georges does a great job with this french interpretation of a steakhouse, sauces are wonderful.

3950: Another great steakhouse, great cuts of meat, decent wine list, would highly recommend for the steaks.

The Steakhouse at Camelot: Great KC bone-in strip, great desserts, wine list is not bad.

Olives: These restaurants are everywhere, but definitely quite good. English's restaurants are consistently top notch.

Circo: Italian fare, great wine list, delicious food, great view.

Le Cirque: Decadent, great location, and wonderful food, only a little bit behind it's NY namesake, but wonderful winelist and great service.

Aureole: I think this place has gone just slightly downhill although I have had several great meals here. Prices have risen, as their 3 course menu was $49 several years ago but is $69 now. Of course, a great wine selection and an interesting presentation of their list, through PDA.

Lutece: Very underrated and outstanding experience. Would highly recommend. Very creative menu and excellent service.

Bradley Ogden: Farm Fresh California style cuisine meets Las Vegas, Caesars finally gets a flagship restaurant, and one that does not dissapoint, although the prices may be a little bit daunting for Vegas, this, along with Le Cirque are the most expensive restaurants in this fair city, but deservedly so. The lamb is spectacular.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those of you in the LA/Orange County area, you may want to check out Five Crowns, in Corona del Mar (near Newport and Laguna beaches) we went there tonight, and had their special prix fixe menu for 2, which included first course, main course, and dessert, as well as a bottle of Silver Creek wine, for $79. We also had the choice to upgrade to a different wine, we chose to do so and picked the 2001 Cakebread Cab, which was quite good, and a relative bargain at about 50% over retail. With the upgrade, it cost us about $50.

The first course had choices of 5 diff soups/salads, I opted for the Caesar salad while my gf got the French Onion soup, both were quite good.

For the main course, I chose the Five Crowns cut of Prime Rib, which was served with Yorkshire Pudding, Mashed Potatoes, and Creamed Spinach. My gf chose the Roast Duckling, which was served with beets, apples, rice, and green beans. Both were delectable, the prime rib was especially good (Five Crowns is part of the Lawry's group, so it's the same as would be served at any of the Lawry's restaurants) very tender and flavorful, and it was served bone-in. The duckling was also very tender and flavorful. Portion sizes were quite generous, and I will have a nice lunch of prime rib and roast duckling [Smile] The Cakebread went quite well with the fowl/beef, nice fruity bouquet with a nice finish. Not as profound as many Cali Cabs, but still quite nice, although not sure if it was worth $83 at full price, I was fairly happy at $50.

For dessert, I chose the English trifle, which is like a rum and brandy soaked strawberry shortcake, with raspberrys and strawberries, while my gf chose the chocolate truffle tart, which was like a very dense chocolate truffle. Again, portion sizes were generous, this is certainly not a french restaurant. Both desserts were outstanding.

Total tab came to about $130 before tax and tip, not at all unreasonable for a great meal.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am having dinner Sunday with an old SF friend at a trendy bistro here in Atlanta called Iris, will let everyone know how it was. The place is said to be fantastic, cannot wait to dine on some fine cuisine, as well as spend time in some good company of people. Hope I can mind my manners, wish me well. Iris Web Site

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Some Boston Back Bay hotel restaurants: Azure (The Lenox Hotel) A modern and very elegant restaurant. The food and service were exemplary. Questions were answered in detail and perfectly sized portions showed up promptly. The chef was experimenting that day and offered a couple of tastings: a fancy steamed mussel (the details of which I forget) as appetizer and amaretto milkshake. Both were quite good. Recommend the Fig Agnoloti (sp?). The Creme Brulee was so-so. Overall highly recommended. Oak Room (The Fairmont Copley) Old school restaurant - wood panels, subdued lighting, super attentive and unobtrusive service. Tried Kobe beef (American raised Kobe style, that is) for the first time and wasn't particularly impressed, and don't think it was worth the premium. Everything else was good though. Expensive bill - came to $150 before tip for one person when all was said and done. Overall average. Great Bay (Hotel Commonwealth) Went here twice on separate occasions for lunch and dinner. Both the host and the waiter recognized me the second time around, which was nice (but it was only three days apart). A somewhat modern and trendy place, it has a bar, a lounge (where you can order food) and a dining area. I thought the dining room was dark in the evening - more conducive to a romantic evening than for the lone business diner. Food, service, and presentation were excellent on both occasions. It's primarily a seafood restaurant. Recommend the Maine Crab Cake and the Devil's Food cake. Don't recommend the Gingerbread cake. Overall highly recommended. Brasserie Jo (The Colonnade) Nothing particularly striking about the setting of this restaurant, though it bills itself as a French bistro. The waiter seemed nervous and jumpy and anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm not the least bit intimidating. He forgot to tell me that the duck special was no longer available until I ordered it, which resulted in me picking an entree at random. I should have asked for a few more minutes to decide but it didn't occur to me then. I ordered the lamb shank which was ok but no better than what I get at my local diner. The crepes suzette for desert had obviously been sitting in the syrup for too long and had become stale. Single malt scotch was served in a brandy snifter. Overall not recommended One cheap eat in Cambridge: Tamarind Bay (Indian food) Stopped by for lunch and, surprise, surprise, they did NOT have a buffet. (FYI, In the NJ/NYC area every Indian place open for lunch has a buffet). This is a tiny place, maybe 12-15 tables, but the food was excellent and service good. Lunch menu was fixed, consisting of one vegetarian and one non-veg choice each for appetizer, entree, and side. Desert was vermicelli kheer. Everything was flavorful, cheap (under $12 including a drink) and quick. Overall highly recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads