• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, its quite good, that restaurant is great though, for $35/head you get a ridiculous meal. It is usually something like:

Appetizers:

A round lazy susan style plate with jumbo shrimp, cold chicken, tendon, giant walnuts, smoked duck.

Shark fin soup:

Smoked Duck, served with dumplings to wrap them in (kinda hard to describe, they're more like really soft rolls than dumplings)

Main Courses (usually 6-8):

Sauteed Lobster

Giant Sea Scallops with wintermelon

A woven bread bowl of seafood medley, including more sea scallops, different fishes, and lobster

A large fish, usually sea bass or carp, or something of the sort, served whole, steamed.

Walnut shrimp

Jumbo Prawns on chinese greens

Chinese-style bread with a squash/pork filling

there are usually a few more vegetable dishes, I don't know what the names of the vegetables are.

Dessert is usually a rice pudding and green tea ice cream.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just lunched at Kitayama (Bristol and Bayview Pl) and had a spectacular meal... IMO (and I've eaten at the best Japanese restaurants in the LA area) this is arguably the best restaurant in terms of the quality of their fish. Kitayama owns a fishing company so they get really fresh stuff, and the toro I had this afternoon felt like it was swimming around in the ocean several hours before... wow. A nice lunch of roasted yellowtail, tempura, udon, and toro, salmon, and tuna sashimi was $58 for 2, not too cheap but worth every penny.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went to albano's tonight before a movie at the regent showcase. it was good but not my style. i like my pizza thin but not that thin. excellent sauce though. i still prefer anna's.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Los Angeles:

Sushi Roku (old town pasadena & santa monica) - havent been to the santa monica, but the pasadena restaurant is a regular stopping point whenever my gal and i have a sushi craving.  def one of the best i've tried in so cal.

The original Phillipe's - near Union Station.  this is where the french dip was invented.  always packed (dont go here if there is a Dodgers game that day) and i cant eat a french dip anywhere else anymore.

The Hat (several branches throughout) - by far the best Pastrami Dip sandwich in so cal

Chaya Brasserie - great "continental" cuisine near the Beverly Center (right next to Agnes B, one of my fave stores) and across the street from the famous Ivy.

Albanos - the best pizza in So cal hands down.  brooklyn thin crust style.  on Melrose 1.5 blocks west of La Brea

Maison Akira - on green st in Pasadena.  awesome french-japanese cuisine.

*edit, of course Koi in W. LA where all the beautiful people go.  the current "hotspot" in LA
Agreed on all except Sushi Roku. I hate that place. We ate there once with my brother-in-law from Tokyo and a couple of years later he still complains about "that sh.tty American sushi place." Soggy nori, poorly compressed nigiri that fell apart when picked up, and the fish was not so great for the price.

I'd rather take an extra 20 minutes to shoot down the 110 for R23 or Sushi Gen than eat at Sushi Roku.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm actually rather fond of Fleming's even though it's a chain... the high end steakhouse chains seem to be not too bad. (Flemings, Ruth Chris, Morton's) Going there for NYE, bringing a couple nice bottles (they have a reasonable corkage fee, $20) 97 Cakebread Three Sisters, and 85 Bollinger RD. Can't wait to see how the Bollinger works out.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This restaurant in Prague, cannot for the life of me remeber the name, but it is across from the clock, on top of a hotel, and just look at the view.
prague.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm wasn't the name of that restaurant a german name?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be, I have the menu somewhere at home, am trying to find it to post the name, my wife likes to get the menus from great restaurants, she tries in vain to duplicate the food, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but she likes to do it for dinner parties after trying, to give a taste of different cultures....nice way to impress some of the time.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, I've eaten there myself, they have jazz in the evenings, but I can't remember the name, either.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just remember it because they have tents outside and you can eat outside when it's nice and there's a huge wooden name with the sign and saying you can eat upstairs, I think... hmm

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atlanta:

Chops
Bones
Magiannos
Fogo de Chao
Seeger's
Abruzzi
Nava
Atlanta Fsh Market
Veni, Vidi, Vici
Pano's and Paul's
103 West
Prime
Pricci's

And lest us not forget the largest fast food place in the world: The Varsity

Come to Atlanta and enjoy, it is more than fried chicken.
I have been to Bones, Fogo de Chao, Veni, Vidi, and Vici.  All very good recommendations. There is one more I would like to add.  I think it is called South City Kitchen, located in Midtown.  Have you heard of this?

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a few restaurants I'm going to post reviews for and recommend:

LA/Orange County:

Sai-Sai
21 Oceanfront
Antonello's

Las Vegas:
Lutece
Olives
Circo
Le Cirque
Lawry's
Rosewood Grill
Aureole
Prime
Picasso
Renoir
Bradley Ogden
Mon Ami Gabi

Vail:
Russell's

Paris:
L'Alsace

Vienna:
Hotel Restaurant Sacher

Bratislava:
People's Cafe
I'd like to add one more to Vegas. It's a Brazilian Steakhouse called Yolie's. Similar to Fogo de Chao, excpet its not a chain.

mano

Reaction score
Chris, what's the name of the place in Atlanta that serves old style home cooked souther fare? Fried green tomatoes, catfish and hushpuppies and the like. Miss Molly's Kitchen or something like that. At there about 2 years ago on the recommendation of a foodie. I thought it was good, not great.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well there are couple of places, one on Cheshire Bridge called Colonnade Restaurant, it is an icon for southern fare, then downtown Mary Mac's Tea Room, also for incredible southern style soul food, Gladys and Ron's Chicken & Waffles....something often missed in Atlanta for fine dining is Nikolai's Roof, Atlanta's first restaurant to receive a 4 star rating....Now we have a few like Prime Meridian and Park 75 that are incredible as well. Atlanta may still be in the south, but it is rising fast on the food chain.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that he means aunt pitty pats kitchen

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads