Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I did. I've been in a pork mood lately and the ones at Jo's were good. I tried to get into Prune that same night - actually four of us tried to get into about a dozen restaurants with no reservations and we stumbled upon Jo's which could seat us up front.

lefty

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

I pick my wife up after work and she says, "Let's grab dinner at that place in nolita . . . Jo's."

I had a poached egg with truffle oil over a tablespoon of polenta and shaved parmesan as an appetizer. Delicious.

lefty

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Can anyone recommend a good Jewish deli in wine country? Matt made a Bay Area recommendation, but I don't feel like driving an hour just to get a sandwich. Sonoma or Napa would be best. Thx.

4. goclarkanderson

goclarkanderson Member

A good jewish deli? Aaaaa!

5. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Any c-bus folks care to discuss the destructive nature of Cameron Mitchell on overall columbus dining?

I don't really agree that his impact is very destructive. His restaurants draw from a different crowd.

His restaurants draw from the suburbanite/rural commuters, the type of people who go to Cheesecake Factory for a special occasion.... completely different people then the locals.

Locals keep good places busy.

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

You're right Cav, but it wasn't always like that. When he just had Cameron's, Mitchell's, and Cap City, my impression was that it was a fairly well-run and upscale group with an overall sense of quality and consistency.

Granted, I was in college then, and was not going to Rigsby's, Handke's, the Refectory, or L'antibes. So it is possible my perspective that the Mitchell group has gone downhill has more to do with my experiences outside Columbus. Still, my perception is that CM took over the town, and then his quality declined.

Also, I was a big fan of the 55 group, which he basically drove out of business.

7. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

You're right Cav, but it wasn't always like that. When he just had Cameron's, Mitchell's, and Cap City, my impression was that it was a fairly well-run and upscale group with an overall sense of quality and consistency. Granted, I was in college then, and was not going to Rigsby's, Handke's, the Refectory, or L'antibes. So it is possible my perspective that the Mitchell group has gone downhill has more to do with my experiences outside Columbus. Still, my perception is that CM took over the town, and then his quality declined. Also, I was a big fan of the 55 group, which he basically drove out of business.
    Cam's spots remind me of the nicer restaurants in the like Lettuce Entertain You group. Good food, and consistent, but they aren't really competing with the places neighborhood folk like me are eating. Rigsbys or Alanas is where a local would go for a good meal. BTW... I define a local as someone who lives in the Short North or along High St. I consider people from Dublin, Worthington, etc. suburbanites.

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Well, I have not been to M, but the "nicer" restaurants in the LUEY group are Tru, Everest, and L2O. I don't see any of his stuff competing with those, nor do I see Rigsby's in that league. But.. point taken. C-bus is a great city, and CM is not the devil [​IMG]

9. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Well, I have not been to M, but the "nicer" restaurants in the LUEY group are Tru, Everest, and L2O. I don't see any of his stuff competing with those, nor do I see Rigsby's in that league.

But.. point taken. C-bus is a great city, and CM is not the devil [​IMG]

I didn't realize LUEY had fine dining like that, I thought their upper end was their restaurants like Wildfire.

10. CityWanderer

CityWanderer Active Member

Anyone ever been to Table 8 in NY? There's an interesting article about head chef Govind Armstrong in Lexus Magazine - he came up under Wolfgang Puck. The branzino fish in the photos looks pretty tasty. Has anyone ever dined there? Was it good?

11. cchen

cchen Senior member

haven't been, but reviews are bad. probably will not ever visit

12. whimmypuh

whimmypuh Well-Known Member

If you like sushi and asian food and travel to London ,drop by here

http://cocoon-restaurants.com/

went there last weekend.Nice place ,nice food .

Good luck

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Can anyone recommend a good Jewish deli in wine country? Matt made a Bay Area recommendation, but I don't feel like driving an hour just to get a sandwich. Sonoma or Napa would be best. Thx.
    Are you missing Shapiro's?

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Are you missing Shapiro's?

Shapiro's was so good. And in such a strange place. Who'd have thought you'd find a good deli in Carmel Indiana?

15. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

NY'ers: Need recs for a good tapas place for Thursday night. I have a cousin coming in from LA.

Please recommend from my to go list below or a favorite of yours (any area below midtown really):

Casa Mono/Bar Jamon
    Sala 19
    Boqueria
    Turks and Frogs
    Zampa

Thank you for the recs.