Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

Went to Bo Innovation recently in Hong Kong, one of the best meals I've had in a long time. It's a lot of El Bulli molecular gastronomy shit applied to Chinese food, the "xiaolongbao" was one of the more interesting things I've had in a long time. Almost every dish was a hit and, for the price, its a pretty good deal for a Michelin 2 star meal.

2. auto_pilot

auto_pilot Well-Known Member

http://www.botteganapavalley.com

Highly recommend this place for lunch or dinner. They have outdoor dining and the weather is perfect this time of year. I can't really recommend one thing as everything I've had there is good. If you want to order a signature dish, order whatever is "angry" that evening.

3. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Cross-posted.

We went to a place called the Paramount Room here in Chicago.
    It was really solid. It's right next to the chocolate factory by the river around Chicago/Grand. Looks like a dive on the outside, is kind of a dive on the inside, but really great food. Anyway, they have really good drink specials, and great drinks. Tons of microbrews, and some really good stuff. Original Sin Dry Cider, Three Floyds, Delirium Tremens, and many other great ones. Also, Thursdays are $4 Jameson or Jack Daniels. They have a great deal that is a $5 house shot and can of beer--- today was Anejo tequila and a can of PBR. I think that deal changes weekly.

Anyway, Stephen Dunne does a really great job on the food. He was the chef at my alma mater (before I was there) and a couple other places. Their big draw is the "$10 Wagyu burger and pint" deal, which is pretty self explanatory. My friends and I ordered a bunch of stuff. The steak tartare was just a very classic steak tartare--- steak, lemon juice, dijon mustard, capers, parsley, shallot, and a raw egg yolk on top. Very classic, very well done. The only thing missing was anchovy filets, which I'm a fan of in tartare.
    Moving on, we also ordered the chilled foie gras mousse with chocolate stout gastrique. This was also well done. Served with toasted brioche and micro sorrel. The foie gras was incredibly interesting--- I had heard that Stephen Dunne has a special way of curing it to make it taste that way (has a very unique taste), but sadly he wasn't there so we never got the chance to ask about it. After that, we got the ale-steamed mussels. Classic mussels, again done very well. Then we moved on to tempura green beans with a sriracha and lime based dipping sauce. It was decent--- good, even--- but compared to the rest of the meal it was a lowlight.
    Other people in our group had the burger and said it was great. I also stole an oyster off of a friend's plate and it was incredibly fresh and so so briney. Very well done.
    Service is exactly what you'd expect in a decent dive bar--- but in a good way. Not overbearing whatsoever, but there when you need them. It's not service at L2O, rightfully so, but it fits perfectly within the overall attitude of the restaurant. Besides that, the bartender was incredibly knowledgeable about the food, something that doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. She was willing to let us taste any of the drafts before we ordered, she knew the food well, and she even bought us all a round of drinks.
    Overall a very nice experience and I'd recommend it to anyone in the area looking for a casual dinner and a few beers.

K, I'll have to try the Parmount Room - I pass by there all the time on the 56 Bus on my way to work.

I need to get over to Schwa, which is literally around the corner from our home.

4. WJSESQ

WJSESQ Active Member

COLUMBUS, OH

Friday night, we're hosting an event at Dragonfly Neo-V, one of the city's best, and certainly most innovative and interesting, restaurants.

[​IMG]

Here's a peak at the menu:

french trumpet ceviche
    shiso caramel toast

berry rum punch
    matusalem platino, house made punch

gunpowder stew & empanaditas

10 cane caiparinha
    10 cane rum, lime, raw sugar

rum cake tres leches
    rum raisin paw paw gelato

pyrat xo
    sipping rum

3 courses, 3 drinks, and complimentary cigars. $39, prix-fixe

All items will be available a la carte as well, ranging from $8-12

It's been a few years - like 10 - since I've gone to Columbus, but one of my faves was Rigsbys. Is it still open and if so, how is the food?

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I ate at The Bristol last night... totally lived up to the hype. Some of the best value I've had in a long time. Sazerac was awesome, good beer list, and nothing on the menu cost more than $20. The host is a little so/so. I'd go on an off night when it's a little easier to sit.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I ate at The Bristol last night... totally lived up to the hype. Some of the best value I've had in a long time. Sazerac was awesome, good beer list, and nothing on the menu cost more than $20. The host is a little so/so. I'd go on an off night when it's a little easier to sit.

The Bristol is a great spot. Definitely lives up to the hype. Although kind of in the middle of nowhere as far as restaurants in Chicago go.

7. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

The Bristol is a great spot. Definitely lives up to the hype. Although kind of in the middle of nowhere as far as restaurants in Chicago go.

Oh c'mon, K, it's in my neighborhood! Actually, in the relatively immediate vicinity you have Schwa, Takashi, Duchamp, Cafe Absinthe, Le Bouchon, D'Vine (OK, not the best place but pretty decent neighborhood joint), the Violet Hour (great cocktails)...

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Oh c'mon, K, it's in my neighborhood! Actually, in the relatively immediate vicinity you have Schwa, Takashi, Duchamp, Cafe Absinthe, Le Bouchon, D'Vine (OK, not the best place but pretty decent neighborhood joint), the Violet Hour (great cocktails)...
    The Violet Hour is over a mile south... you don't get to claim that one.. But Danny's is good.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Was pleasantly surprised by the food (and drinks) at some neighborhood restaurant called Jo's here in New York (Nolita). Went with no expectations but was impressed - the pork ribs appetizer in particular was spectacular.

10. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

The Violet Hour is over a mile south... you don't get to claim that one.. But Danny's is good.

0.83 miles to be exact (OK, I checked on Mapquest!), technically both in Wicker Park (The Violet Hour)/Bucktown (The Bristol). [​IMG]

Haven't been to Danny's...Ed & Jean's on Armitage is a hoot.

11. SWinchester

SWinchester New Member

If you ever find yourself in Winchester (UK) then I'd recommend The Black Rat, as well as Hotel du Vin.

12. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

It's been a few years - like 10 - since I've gone to Columbus, but one of my faves was Rigsbys. Is it still open and if so, how is the food?

Rigsby's is excellent and incredibly popular. The Short North has gentrified a ton in the last 10 years, and is now a very beautiful strip filled with boutiques, bars and restaurants. [​IMG]

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I'm also a big fan of L'antibes. I'm sooo sad that Chef Handke had to retire and that his restaurant eventually failed as a result.

Any c-bus folks care to discuss the destructive nature of Cameron Mitchell on overall columbus dining?

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Was pleasantly surprised by the food (and drinks) at some neighborhood restaurant called Jo's here in New York (Nolita). Went with no expectations but was impressed - the pork ribs appetizer in particular was spectacular.

Bar in front, large restaurant in back? On Elizabeth? I dropped in a few weeks ago when I couldn't get in anywhere else and I agree - good spot.

Have you been to Prune in 1st yet? If so, any good?

lefty

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Bar in front, large restaurant in back? On Elizabeth? I dropped in a few weeks ago when I couldn't get in anywhere else and I agree - good spot.

Have you been to Prune in 1st yet? If so, any good?

Yes, that place - was the new and improved location for the Tasting Room for a year or so before they backed out.

Prune is good but the silly wait is unbearable. We've stopped trying to go there for brunch years ago. Even with dinner reservations, be ready to wait.

Did you get the pork ribs at Jo's? [​IMG]