Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

COLUMBUS, OH Friday night, we're hosting an event at Dragonfly Neo-V, one of the city's best, and certainly most innovative and interesting, restaurants. [​IMG] Here's a peak at the menu: french trumpet ceviche shiso caramel toast berry rum punch matusalem platino, house made punch gunpowder stew & empanaditas 10 cane caiparinha 10 cane rum, lime, raw sugar rum cake tres leches rum raisin paw paw gelato pyrat xo sipping rum 3 courses, 3 drinks, and complimentary cigars. $39, prix-fixe All items will be available a la carte as well, ranging from $8-12

2. GekkoHQ

GekkoHQ Member

Has anyone tried Blue Fin on Broadway in New York? It does amazing sushi, well worth paying it a visit if you're ever in the big apple (and like japanese food!) Otherwise the Black Duck does American food at its best. This thread is making me hungry...

3. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Any recommendations for good restaurants in Woodland Hills, CA (or San Fernando Valley in general)?

Marie Callendar's

4. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I was in Dallas for work last week and went back to Abacus for the first time in about 4 years. It was even better than I remember.

I had the lobster bisque which tasted great, although I thought it was a little thin for a bisque but the flavor was right on, and it was served over a very non-traditional mix of vegetables which I kind of enjoyed.

I followed that up with the venison in a cherry demi-glasse over a cauliflower puree, and finished with a scoop of malt-ball ice cream.

They had some great weeknight specials listed on the menu - deep discounts on wine, some other food specials, etc.

5. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

COLUMBUS, OH

Friday night, we're hosting an event at Dragonfly Neo-V, one of the city's best, and certainly most innovative and interesting, restaurants.

Here's a peak at the menu:

french trumpet ceviche
    shiso caramel toast

berry rum punch
    matusalem platino, house made punch

gunpowder stew & empanaditas

10 cane caiparinha
    10 cane rum, lime, raw sugar

rum cake tres leches
    rum raisin paw paw gelato

pyrat xo
    sipping rum

3 courses, 3 drinks, and complimentary cigars. $39, prix-fixe

All items will be available a la carte as well, ranging from $8-12

Damn, I am pissed I am not in town. I love Dragon Fly [​IMG]

6. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

Damn, I am pissed I am not in town. I love Dragon Fly [​IMG]

Sorry you missed it! LifeEpicurean hosts plenty of interesting events around the city, so there will be more things like this to check out in the future. And, of course, Dragonfly is always there. Get down on some On The Fly action if you've not had a chance yet. Cheap and delicious, just the very reason why I'm so popular with the... nevermind.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Cross-posted.

We went to a place called the Paramount Room here in Chicago.
    It was really solid. It's right next to the chocolate factory by the river around Chicago/Grand. Looks like a dive on the outside, is kind of a dive on the inside, but really great food. Anyway, they have really good drink specials, and great drinks. Tons of microbrews, and some really good stuff. Original Sin Dry Cider, Three Floyds, Delirium Tremens, and many other great ones. Also, Thursdays are $4 Jameson or Jack Daniels. They have a great deal that is a $5 house shot and can of beer--- today was Anejo tequila and a can of PBR. I think that deal changes weekly.

Anyway, Stephen Dunne does a really great job on the food. He was the chef at my alma mater (before I was there) and a couple other places. Their big draw is the "$10 Wagyu burger and pint" deal, which is pretty self explanatory. My friends and I ordered a bunch of stuff. The steak tartare was just a very classic steak tartare--- steak, lemon juice, dijon mustard, capers, parsley, shallot, and a raw egg yolk on top. Very classic, very well done. The only thing missing was anchovy filets, which I'm a fan of in tartare.
    Moving on, we also ordered the chilled foie gras mousse with chocolate stout gastrique. This was also well done. Served with toasted brioche and micro sorrel. The foie gras was incredibly interesting--- I had heard that Stephen Dunne has a special way of curing it to make it taste that way (has a very unique taste), but sadly he wasn't there so we never got the chance to ask about it. After that, we got the ale-steamed mussels. Classic mussels, again done very well. Then we moved on to tempura green beans with a sriracha and lime based dipping sauce. It was decent--- good, even--- but compared to the rest of the meal it was a lowlight.
    Other people in our group had the burger and said it was great. I also stole an oyster off of a friend's plate and it was incredibly fresh and so so briney. Very well done.
    Service is exactly what you'd expect in a decent dive bar--- but in a good way. Not overbearing whatsoever, but there when you need them. It's not service at L2O, rightfully so, but it fits perfectly within the overall attitude of the restaurant. Besides that, the bartender was incredibly knowledgeable about the food, something that doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. She was willing to let us taste any of the drafts before we ordered, she knew the food well, and she even bought us all a round of drinks.
    Overall a very nice experience and I'd recommend it to anyone in the area looking for a casual dinner and a few beers.

8. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have been to Abacus twice over the summer. Had not ben since they had first opened. Was very impressed, probably in the top 3 restaurants in Dallas. Had the venison course as part of the tasting menu.

Do you work in Dallas very often? Have you been to The Mercury Grill?

I was in Dallas for work last week and went back to Abacus for the first time in about 4 years. It was even better than I remember.

9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Unfortunately, I do not get to Dallas all that often. I have not been to Mercury, but will check it out next time I'm there. My 2nd night in dallas I went to Chuy's, and was thrilled with the green chili stew.

Have you been to a place called Suze? I've never been, but heard it's a hidden gem in a strip mall.

10. Despos

I have heard Suze is good but never think to go there. It is hidden and location is out of my way. Neighborhood kind of place.

You ordered well at Chuy's. Maybe the only good thing they offer. I don't frequent Mexican restaurants in Dallas as often as I do n Chicago. Dallas is overrun with TexMex and seems even the small mom & pops copy them to fit in. It's not awful but Mexican restaurants in Chicago seem to have more authentic/enjoyable food.

You were in a great neighborhood for restaurants, some good ones just east of Central Expressway on Knox.
    Check out Hibiscus or Tei Tei when you go back.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I forgot... we did Tei Tei on Monday night.... awesome enoki mushrooms and some other cooked dishes. The sushi, I thought, was about par but not delightful. I have pretty high standards in that department though.

12. Despos

I would not order sushi at Tei Tei. Yutaka on Boll off of Mckinney Ave is the place to have Sushi.
    Recommend me some sushi in Chicago. Most are meh, nothing special.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I am an absolute devotee of Mirai in Chicago. Their Kani Nigiri is one of my top ten bites of food.

Tsuki is also okay, and often has Fugu if you're into that. They have some good wednesday (all you can eat) and Sunday ($35 prix fixe) specials too.

I also find myself at RA occasionally, which is a little meh, but they have good lunch and happy hour specials (late night dinner on Sunday, most of the menu is half price.

14. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Went to Les Halles on my trip to New York and it was awesome. Great French food.

Also went to Lucky Strike which had the most addicting french fries ever.

15. beefeater24

beefeater24 Member

I would suggest the Blueprint Cafe at The Design Museum - The food is fantastic!I would recommend it - It is in London - However, it's a popular destination and when youre next there you can visit ... also if you intend to visit before october - you can pop into see the Super Contemporary Exhibition - my favourite artists is exhibiting: Paul Smith http://www.supercontemporary.co.uk/i...p?s=paul-smith - its an interesting read [​IMG]