Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

To the NYC crowd: Any places to recommend for Thai/Asian fusion or Mexican food? Location isn't really a big deal (in Manhattan) as long as the place has good food, dessert, drinks. Looking to stay at about ~$50/person, but if its a bit more, its not a huge deal.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Centrico is really good for Mexican/Nuevo Latino in TriBeCa and around the $50/head price point (maybe a little higher)... entrees are all under $30, most under $25.

http://www.myriadrestaurantgroup.com...o/entrees.html

+1, Centrico is a good spot.

I like Mercadito as well, its a bit more casual than Centrico. The food is a bit cheaper and a little less refined. Another place that just opened that is supposed to be good is Mayahuel. It may be better for a drink though than a meal.

On the thai/asian fusion, double crown on the bowery fits the bill. I am not a huge fan of asian fusion, but this is not a bad option. Food will not blow you away but it is a fun spot.

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Any Recc's for cheap eats in L.A?

Soot Bull Jeep in Korea Town is the best coal-fire korean bbq place i've been to in the mid-city and it is pretty cheap.

Hama in Little Tokyo is reasonably priced and delicious sushi.

There is an insanely cheap Pho restaurant on Brand in downtown Glendale.

India Sweets and Spices has pretty good Indian food for under 5 dollars. There's one in Atwater and one in Los Feliz.

Alegria on Sunset is decent mexican food a a good price.

Can you narrow your question a bit? Type of food? Area of LA?

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

LA is a pretty big area.... There's a lot of other good cheap asian food around the city.
    Soot Bull Jeep in Korea Town is the best coal-fire korean bbq place i've been to in the mid-city and it is pretty cheap. Hama in Little Tokyo is reasonably priced and delicious sushi. There is an insanely cheap Pho restaurant on Brand in downtown Glendale. India Sweets and Spices has pretty good Indian food for under 5 dollars. There's one in Atwater and one in Los Feliz. Can you narrow your question a bit? Type of food? Area of LA?
    Thanks for being a little more specific M. I'll keep that list for my next visit.

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Thanks for being a little more specific M. I'll keep that list for my next visit.

Hey, the least I can do in return for your dissertation on oysters. if you want any specific los angeles recs, i.e. breakfast places, german food, best rattlesnake hotdog, etc... let me know.

out of all i listed i would do soot bull jeep first. a little dirty, but a nice atmosphere and really delicious steak, shrimp, and octopus. just look for the small building on 8th street with a cumulonimbus-sized cloud of smoke billowing out of it.

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

oh wait, you're from chicago. you already know where the best snakedog is.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

X-posted from how we roll thread:

Go to Coobah in Chicago!

Tonight:
    Went out with a couple culinary school guys and gals to a place in Lakeview called Coobah. It's right off the Southport Brown Line stop. We got there about 20 minutes before it opened, so we pregamed with a couple shots at the bar down the street. We got there, ordered a round of really great mojitos (I'm not a big mojito fan but these were solid) and ordered apps:
    Pan Seared Diver Scallops
    With asparagus-cucumber salsa, tomato-lemon infused oil and black vinegar reduction
    Edamame Espana
    Steamed young soybeans chilled and tossed with smoked Spanish sea salt, extra virgin olive oil and chili flakes (can be served warm on request)
    Chilled Piquillo Peppers
    Wood roasted sweet Spanish peppers filled with a fresh salmon, bacon and spring pea picadillo and dilled goat cheese crema
    Jibarito
    Fiery jerked chicken layered between caramelized plantains and served with red onion-orange marmalade

The scallops were okay. They were very well done, and cooked perfectly, but it was a relatively uneventful dish and not that fun to eat. The edamame was solid and well put together. The piquillo peppers were really great. Cold, and refreshing to eat. Nice dish. The jibarito might be the best dish I've ever been served in Chicago, and that's no lie. Very light, but maybe the closest thing to a perfect dish I've ever consumed. The spice of the shredded jerked chicken, the sweetness and earthiness of the plaintains, the tart bite of the marmalade, and a bitter flavor from some bitter greens. Just a truly beautiful dish. I honestly could have ordered this 5 times and been satisfied and gone home.

Then we ordered two pitchers of a really good sangria and ordered entrees:
    Vegetarian Seared Dumplings
    Filled with roasted mushrooms and ginger on a refreshing chilled quinoa vegetable salad with spicy garlic sauce
    Zarzuela
    Rustic Catalonian seafood dish with shrimp, mussels and scallops cooked in a saffron, white wine and roasted tomato broth served with grilled baguette
    A dish that isn't on their online menu that was hangar steak, chipotle mashed potatoes, and red wine reduction.

All the entrees were lookin great. The Zarzuela was really good, but it was a heavy kind of stew and it was really just way too hot to order this. The vegetarian dumplings were just absolutely incredible. And the steak dish--- the potatoes were insane. Really creamy, buttery texture, with not a ton of flavor, and then the heat started to creep on you. They were fun to eat.

Then two of us ordered more mojitos and I got a couple fingers of Ron Zacapa 23 year Centenarios with dessert:
    Pina Colada Bread Pudding
    Baked bread custard with spiced pineapple, coconut cream and Bacardi Coco rum served warm with toasted coconut ice cream. The Ron Z paired perfectly with this.
    Then we ordered three that weren't on their online menu.
    Flourless chocolate cake, bacon ice cream, and strawberry/ancho chile foam. This dish was so incredibly interesting, complex, and entirely satisfying. The description doesn't sound like it'd jive together very well, but when it gets there everything tastes so good it's impossible not to like it.
    We also got cinnamon churros with some kind of caramel dipping sauce. It was solid but boring compared to the other one.

The entire meal was great, and honestly, that Jibarito dish was the best I've ever had in the city of Chicago, and I eat out pretty frequently, although not at the highest end places. If you're in Chicago, go there immediately.

7. aizan

aizan Senior member

Any Recc's for cheap eats in L.A?

tony c. on yelp is pretty reliable.

8. GekkoHQ

GekkoHQ Member

There are alot of great dining restaurants that ive been too pretty much all over the world and i would recommend eating at alot of these place, primarily in london Great Restaurants thought i'd suggest this as requested as I've been having a ball of time - do need to get back into the gym hehe

9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

^^ Well... this is one of the more interesting pieces of spam I've seen on this board. It's not perfect, but it recommended one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago based on my "pleasure profile". It could use a little improvement, but I like the concept a lot.

Hotels it was a little farther off the mark...

10. Tattoo

Tattoo Member

New York Manhattan

1. BLT Prime

2. Del Postos

3. Via Dei Mille (SohO)

11. wiggin01

wiggin01 New Member

Some notes on DGBG: I've been to Daniel Bouloud's new gastropub on Bowery twice now. The beer selection is really great. A lot of brews you won't find anywhere else, from lagers all the way to the "Old Engine Oil" porter.

Foodwise, it's probably a B/B+. I haven't sampled the menu fully yet, but I was pretty satisfied with the small plates that I ordered. Didn't wow me, though.

Service is good when available, but the employees are stretched very thin and this can leave you in a lurch at times. Individually, they were all very helpful and kind. Overall, it's definitely worth at least a visit. I will be returning, if only for the beer and snacks.

12. ProfMonnitoff

ProfMonnitoff Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for good restaurants in Woodland Hills, CA (or San Fernando Valley in general)? I've already been at Brandywine, and it was quite good.

13. track309

track309 Senior member

tony c. on yelp is pretty reliable.

I agree. He is extremely nice and a knowledgeable guy. I met him in L.A. last year before I know that he was a Foodie and before he started his own blog. Here it is http://sinosoul.com/

14. UncivilizedThoughts

UncivilizedThoughts Well-Known Member

Soot Bull Jeep in Korea Town is the best coal-fire korean bbq place i've been to in the mid-city and it is pretty cheap.

Hama in Little Tokyo is reasonably priced and delicious sushi.

There is an insanely cheap Pho restaurant on Brand in downtown Glendale.

India Sweets and Spices has pretty good Indian food for under 5 dollars. There's one in Atwater and one in Los Feliz.

Alegria on Sunset is decent mexican food a a good price.

Can you narrow your question a bit? Type of food? Area of LA?

Lola's on Melrose has great South American cuisine for an even better price. It's a bit trendy though I must warn you..[​IMG]

15. UncivilizedThoughts

UncivilizedThoughts Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for good restaurants in Woodland Hills, CA (or San Fernando Valley in general)? I've already been at Brandywine, and it was quite good.
    It depends on what type of food you are looking for but Tomato Patch has the freshest salads and sandwiches in the entire valley. It's family owned, small and the people are really friendly.