Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. The Snob

The Snob Senior member

I have finally found really good Chinese food in Chicago. Naperville's Tang Dynasty. As good as what I've had in China.

What kind of Chinese food? Or just a motley of random popular dishes...

I really want to find a good sichuanese food restaurant. Nom..

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Chicago Restaurant Week: http://www.choosechicago.com/eatitup.../default2.aspx

I need to make reservations for 4 at any of these restaurants of my choosing. With these instructions:

I was going to pick Topolobampo but that got ixnayed in the above instructions.

So my next picks were going to be Cafe Spiaggia, Brasserie Jo, Naha, or one sixtyblue.

I'll probably be going to all 4 of these restaurants throughout the week, but which from the list would be best to take my family to? Also, my father is a vegetarian. I realize that shouldn't be a problem at most places, but just in case.

I know this is past but try Crofton on Wells or Green Zebra. Both have vegetarian menus.

North Pond is one of my favorites.

Topolobampo would have been my choice from your post. It is not typical Mexican in any way.

Panne Caldo is better than Cafe Spiaggia.

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I have not been to Crofton in years, but as I recall it was Great!

Green Zebra is also fantastic for veg-food.

Brasserie Jo while serviceable is very underwhelming. If you want french, Bistro: Le Bouchon, Bistrot Margot / Brasserie: Brasserie Rhulmann, Old Town Brasserie / Haute Cuisine: Les Nomades

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I had heard Brasserie Jo left a lot to be desired. I also hear that Les Nomades is the place to be. Man, I was trying really hard to get in there before I got the gig I'm currently working.

Thanks on the rec. We actually never went out that week, I forget why, but they came a week or so after restaurant week and we went out to Green Zebra. It was damn good. Like, so good you don't even realize you aren't eating protein, or don't really miss it. The service was also good, and the price, for what we got, wasn't bad at all. Anyway, thanks for the recs Despos and Ron. Hope to see you guys in a month or so.

*edit: Okay, obviously you're still getting protein at GZ, but I meant in the form of meat.

5. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

What kind of Chinese food? Or just a motley of random popular dishes... I really want to find a good sichuanese food restaurant. Nom..
    Their chef is from Sichuan. The menu has a number of varied dishes and I haven't had any issues ordering off menu items.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, and I dont think it requires its own thread, but there is some really incredible stuff going on at Alinea currently.

http://food.theatlantic.com/back-of-...ial-dining.php

If anyone dining there in the future gets a crack at this card, please report back with your thoughts.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, and I dont think it requires its own thread, but there is some really incredible stuff going on at Alinea currently.

http://food.theatlantic.com/back-of-...ial-dining.php

If anyone dining there in the future gets a crack at this card, please report back with your thoughts.

This sounds exciting for someone who's been there already but I fear that it may turn a first time Alinea diner off by serving him dishes that are created on the spot and have not necessarily "proven" to be remarkable and worth the price tag

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

This sounds exciting for someone who's been there already but I fear that it may turn a first time Alinea diner off by serving him dishes that are created on the spot and have not necessarily "proven" to be remarkable and worth the price tag

That's definitely a possibility. He also put an Escoffier dish on his menu, followed to a T. Apparently it was seen as an epic fail on his part. He went above and beyond too, buying antique serviceware and glassware for that individual course. I have heard it missed the mark. However, he has the great opportunity to play a lot of trial and error and will most likely, for a long, long time, have plenty of people willing to sample what he puts out.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I met Alice Waters today. She was at the Chicago Green City Market doing a tour. I just got back, actually. She was very nice and you could tell she was very passionate. It was cool to meet her.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Any NY'ers been to Corton in Tribeca?

11. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

To the NYC crowd: Any places to recommend for Thai/Asian fusion or Mexican food? Location isn't really a big deal (in Manhattan) as long as the place has good food, dessert, drinks. Looking to stay at about ~$50/person, but if its a bit more, its not a huge deal.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

13. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Centrico is really good for Mexican/Nuevo Latino in TriBeCa and around the $50/head price point (maybe a little higher)... entrees are all under $30, most under $25.

http://www.myriadrestaurantgroup.com...o/entrees.html

Thanks. Any other restaurants come to mind with good vegetarian dishes? The menu for the Centrico looks quiet good, albeit it lacks vegetarian entrees. Thanks again.

14. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

I didn't go through all 40 pages to see if this place has already been suggested but I figures if it has this will only bolster that review:

Marion Street Grille in Oak Park IL. This place was just amazing! Went there this Saturday for the first time. My GF had the Amish Chicken with a raspberry reduction that was absolutely amazing! I had the New York Stripe that was cooked to perfection, hitting the table still sizzling with a bacon and cheddar twice baked potato! The wine list was pretty nice to with an excellent tempranillo that paired perfectly with either entree...but I'm sure that the Fluer Pino Noir would have been even better with the chicken.

If you're in the area do check them out:

http://www.marionstreetgrille.com/

15. blank

blank Senior member

Going to Pastis tonight. Best items on the menu?