• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toronto Scaramouche -- top name in city, overpriced, good service, amazing view, average food North 44 -- Mark McEwan still nails Pacific Rim cuisine, superb service, outstanding food, expensive Canoe -- the best in Toronto, superb service and food, expensive Susur -- heading to NYC, get a table while you can, outstanding, expensive Auberge du Pommier -- was good, now fabulous, outstanding service and menu, expensive Bravi -- nice Italian bistro, very pleasant, mid price, excellent presentation, good cellar Two restaurants are 'in' during the film festival with the concomitant B and C listers and Brangelina thrown in. Sassafraz and Sotto Sotto. Avoid both! For the gourmands, Toronto thinks of itself as an 'international city'. It's not, evinced by our crap road system, average arts scene and the Maple Leafs. As such, not one of the above would compare with La Grenouille or the late, lamented Lutece in NYC. Just a heads up.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any more London, Paris and Manchester recs? Top French restaurants, especially.

Ta!

oceans11

Reaction score
I'm a Ruth Chris man myself but I also like Morton's & sushi is always going to be my fav whole in the wall Angotai in South Coast Metro, CA.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Had the omakase dinner at Morimoto in Philly. It was quite decent, a bit expensive, but quite decent nontheless. The restaurant location, though, is dissapointing.

How much does omakase usually run?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Looks like I'm not the only unconditional Bernardin fan. This Denver critic wrote the longest restaurant review I've ever seen. I think that he liked it...
laugh.gif

...but he wore jeans with a jacket to a place like Le Bernardin.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Gibson's Steakhouse in Chicago is fantastic. Decently priced for the best meal in Chicago. Extensive wine list, great decor and atmosphere. It doesn't get much better than that.

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience.

My last experience there was memorable for the wrong reasons including several undercooked and improperly prepared steaks in our party.

I haven't been back since.

We did try TRU last night for dessert. It was very good.

alohabobs

Reaction score
When in NYC
Barrio Chino in the LES for real authentic mexico
kashinawa -sushi

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I'll get this out there for everyone's Vass-trips to Budapest. My favorite in the city: Klassz. Kind of trendy, updated Hungarian classics Best: Fausto's Etterem (not the Osteria). Italian. Michelin-competitve: Lou Lou. French and intellectual Hungarian Check out www.chew.hu for more info, but those three are the must-eats, in the order listed.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I'll throw in the place where Etienne took me for dinner in Paris the other week: l'AOC 14 rue des Fosses St Bernard www.restoaoc.com Very nice, place. Great food. No French pretensions. The French stole my laptop by the way.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Very nice, place. Great food. No French pretensions.
One of my favourite restaurants indeed.

The French stole my laptop by the way.
It was all a conspiracy. They sent me to wine and dine you afterwards so that you forget about it. It failed, apparently.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
I just did a review of Au Pied de Cochon from my recent visit to Montreal.

Au Pied de Cochon
69mhvl.jpg

Au Pied de Cochon is located in Le Plateau, a neighborhood in Montreal known for its upscale restaurants and hip swagger. Being no exception to the reputation of the area, chef Martin Picard's small restaurant raises the neighborhood's culinary cachet to a new level. As the name, "The Pig's Foot," would suggest, the star attraction here is the pork, but it shares its leading role with another pervasive ingredient: foie gras. It can be ordered in nearly a dozen different ways ranging from cured foie gras tart to even foie gras poutine. While not always the main focus, foie gras also makes guest appearances in numerous other dishes that, as you may have guessed, are very meat-centric. Not vegetarian friendly at all, but carnivores and pescitarians have many innovative and masterfully created options to choose from.

Although small in physical size, the atmosphere of Au Pied de Cochon is comfortable and welcoming. Contrary to the rigid and pretentious vibe of many high-end places, Pied de Cochon is very much alive with the collective noise of conversation, orders being taken, the sound of cooks preparing your food in the completely exposed kitchen, and just the bustle of people in general. The attire is far from formal with most patrons choosing to dress more relaxed, simply focusing instead on enjoying both themselves and their food. As for the dÃ
00a9.png
cor, it is rather straightforward and warm with large mirrors, bistro globe lamps, wood panellings, wood furnishings, no table cloths, and black bistro seating. Fitting of the restaurant's attitude, there are a few mounted taxidermy heads, Steadman-esque illustrations of pigs on the walls, and a giant pair of antlers that welcome you as you first step foot into the dining area.

When deciding to dine at Au Pied de Cochon, it is much advised to make reservations in advance. Seating is limited and fills up quickly. During my visit, we arrived around 8:30 on a Sunday evening with no reservations and they turned out to be completely booked. We were told that the next available table would not be free until 11:30. Fortunately, however, they managed to accommodate us with seating at the bar. While it may have worked out for us during this trip, I would not test fate again - especially if dining with a party of four or more.

As mentioned earlier, there is a huge emphasis on meat here. It's not just the typical cuts of meat that can be found at most restaurants either. No, chef Picard likes to use the "nasty bits," or the parts uncommon to many American pallets, in his recipes. On the current menu Tarragon Bison Tongue, Pied de Cochon, and Guinea Hen Liver Mousse are all possible selections. Another popular oddity is the playful Duck in a Can, literally duck meat cooked in a can that is opened tableside and poured over a large buttered crouton and mashed potatoes that accompany the dish. The menu is full of fun and inventive dishes such as these. Deciding on just a few items was difficult, but I managed to narrow it down to three.

ip9yf7.jpg

Aptly beginning with a selection from the Starters menu, I had the Foie Gras Cromesquis. Priced at C$3.50, it is an excellent way for the not-so-adventurous to try foie gras for the first time without the worry of spending a lot on something they may not like. But what is there not to like? Yet another example of one of chef Picard's clever creations, it is a cube of foie gras dipped in batter and then fried. The frying process liquefies the duck liver inside while the batter surrounding it remains crisp and chewy. When served, the waitstaff will ask if it is your first time having one and then proceed to instruct you how to go about eating it in two simple steps: 1) Pop the entire cube in your mouth. 2) Bite down. The warm liquefied foie gras comes gushing out in a delicious burst of flavor reminiscent of buttery gravy. The concept is much like a Fruit Gusher, only better.

Next up was the Soupe à l'Oignon GratinÃ
00a9.png
e. This was ordered thinking it would be much like a traditional French onion soup, but I was mistaken. Rather than a beef stock, it is made with poultry stock. If it is more specifically a duck stock, I wouldn't be surprised at all given the menu. The onions had somewhat of a fermented sauerkraut taste that made for an interesting variation. There were also little bits of pork in the broth. Between the stock and onions, the soup had a vastly different flavor profile than I was expecting. The only similarity I found to be had with a traditional French onion soup was the large crouton and melted cheese overtop. By all means a very good soup, just not what I had in mind at that particular moment.

35nbqdu.jpg

As my main course, I had the Plogue à Champlain. It is a layered dish consisting of a buckwheat pancake, potatoes that had been cubed and roasted, cheese, smoked back-bacon, a huge cut of foie gras, and covered in maple syrup. Looking like something that would be more suitable for breakfast, the dish felt light and was not at all heavy as one would expect. Each element held its own against the sweet syrup and made for an irresistible blend of flavors ranging from sweet, salty, and savory. This is the ultimate comfort dish to be eaten at the ultimate comfort restaurant.

If you live in Montreal, make your reservations now. If you live elsewhere, plan a trip to Montreal just to eat here if not for anything else. The food is the real deal. There is no need for gimmicks or undeserved pretension, it simply speaks for itself.

Book now and eat well.

ekld5.jpg

Au Pied de Cochon
www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca
(514) 281-1114
536 Duluth Avenue East
Montreal, QC

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You actually take photos of your plates at the restaurant?
confused.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You actually take photos of your plates at the restaurant?
confused.gif

Does it affect the way your food tastes if you were dining there while he did that?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Does it affect the way your food tastes if you were dining there while he did that?
I refuse to answer such a poorly worded question

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads