Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

Chicago:
    Alinea (best meal I have ever had)
    Blackbird (make sure you get a decent server or it could be slow night)
    Hot Chocolate (best deserts in the city)

New York:
    I love Blue Hill and recently had a great meal at Dovetail

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I went to a "speakesy" type place for drinks/food last night after work called Death & Co.
    The menu had a bunch of cocktails with their homemade bitters and random niche liquors. In fact if the cocktail had 4 ingridents there was probably only 1 that I could understand.
    They also serve punches that come in a large porcelain bowl with a silver ladel and porcelin tea cups.
    The small bites menu was pretty good too with a duck/gouda/pineapple salsa quesadilla, fall root tempura, prosciutto wrapped pear, chocolate lava cake.

3. jleeo225

jleeo225 Senior member

I tried Death & Co. last week with a few friends. The food was quite good. We had the tuna sashimi blocks with caviar, short ribs, the mac and cheese, and the surf and turf sliders (salmon or lamb). We thought the cocktails were quite good in terms of taste, but we, too, didn't really know what was in them, except for the base -- e.g., rye or gin.

4. nextlevel

nextlevel Active Member

this thread rules. wish there was a wikipost or something in it though that had cliffs!

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

Gentlemen,

I would like to reccomend the Borgata Buffet if you are ever in Atlantic City.

Seconded.

In my experience, if you're in AC, there's really no reason to leave Borgata at all.

Also, their poker room kicks ass.

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

^ Best General Tsao's chicken ever!

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Went to Smiths last night. Cool place and decor but the food is very disappointing.

Clearly the kitchen has a problem with seasoning. Both our appetizers were too salty but mine especially (artichoke pasta with black truffle) was inedible. It was so salty I had to send it back. Kitchen cooked another one which was still quite salty but edible.

Our entrees were average and not memorable (bland sauces, meat not cooked exactly as ordered). Dessert was good but the dessert menu is not very creative (apple tart, cookies...)

Service quality was below that of a roadside diner. No warmth or personal contact or even eye contact, a waitress who said 18 words total to us ("Hi, what can I get you?" "OK I'll get you another one" "How was it?" "Thank you guys")

I wouldn't recommend

8. PCabrelli

PCabrelli Senior member

9. bant

bant Senior member

this thread rules. wish there was a wikipost or something in it though that had cliffs!

maybe give yelp a shot?

10. jay0407

jay0407 Active Member

Chicago:

Rocket
    Sol De Mexico
    Jin Ju

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. Lel

Lel Senior member

Any good places in Portland, OR for dinner?

Prom is coming up in about a month and we need some suggestions for a place to go. Somewhere nice, but doesn't have to be too nice. Alcohol does not factor in (we're still teenagers). It shouldn't be expensive but still filling and delicious.

13. haganah

haganah Senior member

Spent a couple of days in Boulder and wanted to try Frasco but they were not open on Sunday and do not serve lunch. Anybody tried them? Thoughts? Had two meals at The Kitchen. Loved the food, the staff, the vibe. Perfect place for me. I would eat there alot if I lived there.
    Not a fan of the kitchen. Frasca is great but it still doesn't compare to a lot of the places in NY, CA, or even Chicago. I forgot the name of the place in the mountain, but that was a better meal in Boulder. Vail and Denver have much better options.

14. Tailor In Style

Tailor In Style Active Member

Delhi, India

Tabula Rasa - unique food and a great atmosphere on the outdoor terrace.

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Had the omakase dinner at Morimoto in Philly. It was quite decent, a bit expensive, but quite decent nontheless. The restaurant location, though, is dissapointing.