restaurant dress codes: reasonable or pretentious?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rjakapeanut, Feb 10, 2010.

1. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

I don't think its improper to ask for someone to follow common courtesy, in this case- removing one's hat indoors... unless of course if its some religious/cultural thing and in this case, unless you REALLY worship the saints, isn't an issue. This is also true with cases of a diner being asked to remove an offensive article of clothing like a shirt with a swastika on it.

my big thing is...this place isn't even a tremendous restaurant that would require such high standards of dress. it's a dimly lit, uppity steakhouse.

how would the hat make any difference, whether he were wearing it or not? maybe he doesn't think that it's a big deal. and he is the customer.

not sure i'm following you on the comparison to an offensive shirt. it's just a hat.

2. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

I wish more restaurants had the courage to enforce standards.

It really amazes me when a restaurant basically says they prefer the disrespectful jackass customer than the respectful customers.

Sure, your example is about baseball hats. But I've been in restaurants where they refuse to do anything about a table of loud and obnoxious people. They would prefer the jackasses to the respectful customers. That amazes me.

3. rjakapeanut

relax.

i understand the gripe. but what can you do? it will only eat away inside of you.

i had a doorman at a restaurant (whether intentionally or unintentionally ) snub my wife trying to come through the door , after he had happily greeted all the others in front of her and kept the door open for them.
    what can i do? i just looked at him and said what's your problem? opened the door myself for my wife and we laughed it off. had a great time.

there will always be someone or some entity trying to get you to get riled up. lose another stomach lining cell. whether intentionally or unintentionally. dont let them do that.

good advice, you sound like a rational guy, haha.

usually things like this will pop into my mind and linger for a day or so.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Just wait until Kenneth Pollock gets here.

Aside from the baseball cap, were you also wearing shorts?

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

LOL, awesome. that logic is patently retarded.

The point is that it doesn't take balls to ask somebody to follow common courtesies that those of us who were not raised by wolves already observe. A baseball cap inside is one of them.

good advice, you sound like a rational guy, haha.

Oh, brother.

6. rjakapeanut

Just wait until Kenneth Pollock gets here.

Aside from the baseball cap, were you also wearing shorts?

jack purcell shoes, raw denim, jacket.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

jack purcell shoes, raw denim, jacket.
    With white tube socks?

8. whacked

whacked Senior member

Why would I type like this? I'm not writing a term paper.

LOL, awesome. that logic is patently retarded.

It's called common courtery, which, as it has become "patently" obvious, you have none.

to clarify -- i came in with a saints baseball cap on, removed it before even talking to the hostess, and thus was never asked to remove my hat.

it's not the notion of taking off the hat to eat dinner that's being challenged here. it's having the gonads to ask a patron to remove it before you'll seat them.

Restaurants have the right to refuse service for a number of legitimate reasons. Patrons' coming in improper attire is one of them.

9. rjakapeanut

It's called common courtery, which, as it has become "patently" obvious, you have none.
    "courtesy" means showing respect, politeness, consideration, etc. how is wearing a baseball cap in the same restaurant with someone disrespectful, impolite, and/or inconsiderate?
    Restaurants have the right to refuse service for a number of legitimate reasons. Patrons' coming in improper attire is one of them.
    sure. no one is disputing that.
    With white tube socks?
    gray tube socks.

10. whacked

whacked Senior member

sure. no one is disputing that.

it's not the notion of taking off the hat to eat dinner that's being challenged here. it's having the gonads to ask a patron to remove it before you'll seat them.

11. whacked

whacked Senior member

"courtesy" means showing respect, politeness, consideration, etc. how is wearing a baseball cap in the same restaurant with someone disrespectful, impolite, and/or inconsiderate?

The same way walking around inside a hotel, even a beach resort, in nothing but swimsuit disrespectful, impolite, inconsiderate, and thus banned at any self-respecting facillity.

12. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Presume this was not Galatoires?

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

You should not wear a hat indoors period. Maybe a situation where you won't be inside long enough to sit down or a bar (depends on the bar) but beyond that just take the damn thing off.

14. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

People like to get outraged over the most petty BS. I'm not calling the OP out or anything but every restaurant has right to maintain their standards. I understand that Houstons is nothing really special but it is nicer than most corporate restaurants and they want to keep it that way. If they let minor things slide when it comes to their dresscode then other larger things like shorts, torn jeans, etc follow suit.

Some people need to be reminded about common courtesies nowadays and it's sad. If I wore a hat into a restaurant when I was younger my father or mother were tearing off my head, or I was sitting in the car while the rest of my family having dinner.

15. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

It's inconsiderate in the same way that spitting on the floor, belching, and other rude actions are. In general, you seem to be of the opinion that businesses are obligated to serve anyone that will pay them, but doesn't the owner have a right to enforce standards and preferences, however arbitrary they may seem? (barring types of discrimination)