• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Response to my inquiry with Summit Tailors, NJ

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering having a suit made with Carlos at Summit Tailors in central NJ. He was nice enough to write back with a thoughtful reply today and said the following:

First he will make a try-on, he will cut the garment and then put all the pieces together by hand, all baisted. After the first try-on he will take everything apart to make the changes to the jacket & pattern. He will sew the jacket again to make another try-on w/o button-holes at this point. We will fit again.

He said turnaround is approximately 6 weeks.

He has two methods of making suits.

1) He will make the suit at his shop completely by hand - he believes that this method is comparable in quality to an Oxxford Bespoke suit - similar craftsmanship.

2) He will goto a tailor named Rocco in New York in person with my measurements at 6am on day and he will make the pattern and cut the suit with him (and i assume his staff). Carlos said Rocco also makes custom suits.

The price for option #1 is "about $2,800" and the price for #2 is "$2,220 and up"

Carlos said that he uses either Loro Piana or Scabal fabrics for his suits.

Finally, he said "remember you have as many try-ons as you want until you get the perfect suit".

$2,800 for a hand-made beautiful suit would not be so bad.. I'm seriously considering having him make me a suit - I'm not a style expert I'm just hoping I can properly articulate what I'm looking for (perhaps I can bring some photos)

Any comments/suggestions? Thank you so much!

I'm looking for a 3-piece, 2 button suit with roped shoulder (although not too drastic), a lot of waist supression, high arm holes, relatively large notched lapels, relatively slim flat front trousers w/ side tabs

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
I am considering having a suit made with Carlos at Summit Tailors in central NJ. He was nice enough to write back with a thoughtful reply today and said the following:

First he will make a try-on, he will cut the garment and then put all the pieces together by hand, all baisted. After the first try-on he will take everything apart to make the changes to the jacket & pattern. He will sew the jacket again to make another try-on w/o button-holes at this point. We will fit again.

He said turnaround is approximately 6 weeks.

He has two methods of making suits.

1) He will make the suit at his shop completely by hand - he believes that this method is comparable in quality to an Oxxford Bespoke suit - similar craftsmanship.

2) He will goto a tailor named Rocco in New York in person with my measurements at 6am on day and he will make the pattern and cut the suit with him (and i assume his staff). Carlos said Rocco also makes custom suits.

The price for option #1 is "about $2,800" and the price for #2 is "$2,220 and up"

Carlos said that he uses either Loro Piana or Scabal fabrics for his suits.

Finally, he said "remember you have as many try-ons as you want until you get the perfect suit".

$2,800 for a hand-made beautiful suit would not be so bad.. I'm seriously considering having him make me a suit - I'm not a style expert I'm just hoping I can properly articulate what I'm looking for (perhaps I can bring some photos)

Any comments/suggestions? Thank you so much!

I'm looking for a 3-piece, 2 button suit with roped shoulder (although not too drastic), a lot of waist supression, high arm holes, relatively large notched lapels, relatively slim flat front trousers w/ side tabs

Rocco is probably the Rocco that makes for Thom Browne (in LIC, Queens). He is capable of a very good make, though you will have to rely on Carlos to specify the quality as Rocco will be working for Summit, not you, and will do as much or as little as he is paid to do.

Good luck. The price seems very fair for what you are getting (either way). Personally, I would go for the all in-house version, not because the quality will be better (it could be worse than Rocco's) but so that the guy you work with has complete control of what is being done.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Personally, I would go for the all in-house version, not because the quality will be better (it could be worse than Rocco's) but so that the guy you work with has complete control of what is being done.

I agree. I like having all the work completed on premise if possible.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Rocco is probably the Rocco that makes for Thom Browne (in LIC, Queens). He is capable of a very good make, though you will have to rely on Carlos to specify the quality as Rocco will be working for Summit, not you, and will do as much or as little as he is paid to do.
Rocco Ciccarelli. I used to say, Rocco Siffreddi, but I guess that got old.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Try Rocco Siffreddi.

Yes, try him. Is Cecilia Vega still working with him?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not carlos?

You'll like Rocco Siffreddi much better. I guarantee it.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is his specialty the birthday suit?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone ever use carlos?

He's doing some alterations for me right now.

Can you wait for me to pick up my stuff before you head over there?

lefty

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think he's more of a Tom Ford man. Just one man's opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads