• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Responding to Unsolicited Advice/Criticism

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He wears tight clothes from Armani Exchange and YOU'RE gay?!?!?

Like others have said, you need to learn the art of being an asshole......

I'd respond with an awkward pause and an "Uh, shurrrrrr" as if what he said is beyond marsupialed...because really, it was.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
If those are the best insults your inlaws can come up with, consider yourself lucky. LOL

+1 See Iammatts thread about extended family...

Alternatives:

1) If you don't want to deal with the topic directly (e.g,. their just not going to get it) perhaps tell them it's work attire and that you have hardly anything else in your wardrobe.

2) You're considering going gay for the tax benefits, and trying out the waters

3) You're being secretly filmed for a reality show that requires you to dress that way

4) You're angling for grandma's inheritance and heard she favors men who dress like men

5) **** you dad

6) "but can you kick ******?"

7) if you think this is gay, you should see the silky negligee I have on underneath

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
So I come from a culture VERY unconcerned with style.
Is no one else curious as to what 'culture' this is?
eh.gif

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
You've got to work on your slightly contemptuous stare and dismissive look-away. Combine with a quick head-to-toe and slight eyebrow raise for extra effect.
laugh.gif

... perfect!
Hurt my feelings?? Not at all. My response would be the same as if someone even lower than yourself would call you an overly fed dog. I can't imagine you'd keep shut either.
Ah, seems you can keep up in the semi-witty-retort department ...
lurker[1].gif

Originally Posted by unjung
To each their own. And you're boning their daughter/sister.

Revenge is a dish best served like expensive sushi ... on a naked chick.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdesq
The silent, bemused, response can sometimes work the best.
This would be my approach, I think.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
+1 See Iammatts thread about extended family...

Alternatives:

2) You're considering going gay for the tax benefits, and trying out the waters

3) You're being secretly filmed for a reality show that requires you to dress that way

7) if you think this is gay, you should see the silky negligee I have on underneath

Great ones...

Originally Posted by unjung
To each their own. And you're boning their daughter/sister.

+1 Excellent point.

Stay away from sharp snarky comments towards her in-laws. The satisfaction isn't worth a poor relationship with your in-laws.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
He wears tight clothes from Armani Exchange and YOU'RE gay?!?!?

+1

Or you could say "Honey, thanks, but you're not my type"

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness
Your brother in law sounds like a guido. You don't need to listen to him.

Bigtime.

Armani Exchange, ALDO, and Banana Republic.

What a DB.

Tell him to get the **** off or you'll slap him with your ring hand.

Don't take masculine fashion advice from people that worship prissy gay fashion designers.

sweisman

Reaction score
Help us out here...What were you wearing? What does too gay look like?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Is no one else curious as to what 'culture' this is?
eh.gif

In terms of style, I consider it very boring and unconcerned. Think Uzbekistan, where old fat men wear jackets that they can't button, are sticking out from the shoulders and need 3 inches in to see the cuff, AND this would be a good jacket for them.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
While i think we all like feeling a bit self-righteous and snobby for dressy "preppy", the fact is everybody has a different idea of what looks good and therefore how they feel when they're wearing what they think is right. The fact is, you each believe that the way you dress makes you look good... the only problem I see here is your ego and belief that dress codes other then yours are wrong or bad... but realize they're just not "right" for you, so it doesn't mean it's not right for him... I'd avoid personally attacking that person back becuase then you're just being egotistical and trying to pretend like you're better then them. It might feel good, but frankly I think it's immature. My advice is, shrug your shoulders and say I think what I'm wearing looks good and sends the right message to the people I care to have me acknowledged. Just cause you think it looks gay doesn't mean it is, and I would never wear what you're wearing. You're not the type of person whose opinion really matters to me. or something along those lines

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
he likes tight fitting clothing. He's mostly into Armani Exchange, ALDO, and Banana Republic.
And YOU look gay?!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads