• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resolved

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I picked up this gorgeous Breguet 18k gold Marine watch last week. I spoke on the phone with their corporate office in Atlanta and I asked them, "I've never heard of a Breguet quartz movement, are you sure that's correct?" They said they'll check and get back to me. So Adam (the guy I was dealing with) calls me back with the movement serial # and says "ye, the watch shop says it's quartz." So they look legit and all, so I wire them the money. I get the watch today and am really weirded out, because it is a quartz, but Breguet has never made a quartz movement...so I pop open the back and lo and behold, they gutted it and threw in a japanese quartz movement!!! WTF?!?! So I call them up and Adam's like, "well it's still a Breguet." So a Mercedes with a Hyundai engine is still sold as a MB? And they won't take a return?!?! Help! Any advice? Anyone in Atlanta wanna bust them up for me
lol8[1].gif
?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your loss. For future: No pics of mov't = no sale.

Valor

Reaction score
You knew the watch didn't exist and bought it anyway?

Did you pay with a credit card so you can just get your money back or did you actually western union or something

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm surprised a seller with as much experience as you fell for this. It's embarrassing.

Two things, one in their defense, one very much not in their defense:

1) They are not a watch store - they're an auction house. Typically auction items are sold as-is, buyer beware, etc etc. It's not terribly unreasonable to assume that they simply don't know anything about watches and the mistake was relatively innocent.

2) But they took photos of the caseback off the watch, and no pics of the movement. That was incredibly deceptive, IMO.

Hope you bought in on a credit card.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'm surprised a seller with as much experience as you fell for this. It's embarrassing. Two things, one in their defense, one very much not in their defense: 1) They are not a watch store - they're an auction house. Typically auction items are sold as-is, buyer beware, etc etc. It's not terribly unreasonable to assume that they simply don't know anything about watches and the mistake was relatively innocent. 2) But they took photos of the caseback off the watch, and no pics of the movement. That was incredibly deceptive, IMO. Hope you bought in on a credit card.
They're selling and have sold hundreds of watches, and they have a legit brick and mortar store, so I assumed, wrongly so, that they were indeed legit as well. And Adam confirmed over the phone to me that it was indeed a Breguet quartz movement.
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Name your price.
They just called me back and offered a refund minus 15% - so how does $300 sound
lol8[1].gif
Originally Posted by Valor
You knew the watch didn't exist and bought it anyway?
Just because I've never heard of it DOESN'T mean that it doesn't actually exist...Hell, I know very little apparently
frown.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
They're selling and have sold hundreds of watches, and they have a legit brick and mortar store, so I assumed, wrongly so, that they were indeed legit as well. And Adam confirmed over the phone to me that it was indeed a Breguet quartz movement.
Well, in that case, they are scumbags and cheats, and we are all wise to avoid them. If I were you, I'd tell them you are a notable poster on this site and that you will do everything you can to badmouth them on this platform, unless they offer you a full refund. Point them to this thread as evidence. This is lying, cheating, stealing, flat-out. You still should have known better.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Well, in that case, they are scumbags and cheats, and we are all wise to avoid them.

If I were you, I'd tell them you are a notable poster on this site and that you will do everything you can to badmouth them on this platform. Point them to this thread as evidence.

This is lying, cheating, stealing, flat-out.

You still should have known better.

I think everyone here should buy an auction, and leave a negative feedback and get them booted off ebay
lol8[1].gif

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They want to "part as friends" so they will take the refund and mail me a check for my full money back.

Yay!

BUYERS BEWARE!!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on - you probably bought dozens of watches but didn't ask for a movement scan when it's very obvious that they avoided showing it?

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Come on - you probably bought dozens of watches but didn't ask for a movement scan when it's very obvious that they avoided showing it?

In the past 4 years I've spent over $900k on watches...and in my haste and excitement I overlooked the obvious signs
facepalm.gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
In the past 4 years I've spent over $900k on watches...
By any chance are you looking to adopt?
laugh.gif

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

I noticed that too - they took pictures of everything else (including with the case off).

FWIW your recourse probably would have been small claims. I would keep an eye on them to see if they re-list it and omit the same information.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads