• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resoling with flushed toe taps

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone has had flushed toe taps (post production) installed and eventually had to later resole with the original manufacturers. Basically, I want to have flushed toe taps installed on a couple pair of shoes; however, I am concerned that manufacturers will later decline to resole because of the flushed toe tap installment (I have heard some manufacturers declining to resole after other types of sole work). I am curious if manufacturers such as C&J, Lobb, Grenson, or EG are picky about this. Anyone have experience?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, most manufacturers won't do a "recraft" if anyone else has done anything to their shoes, such as flush toe taps, in which screws go into the welt.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was what I was thinking. I know UK manufacturers are very particular about it. My typical practice is just to get the cheap aloft taps then when the ball part of the sole wears, just have the original manufacturers do a full re-sole (with flushed taps if the option is provided).

I never had an issue with the heels being done by third party cobblers though. Seems pointless having to send back to the original manufacturers just for heel changes.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yes, most manufacturers won't do a "recraft" if anyone else has done anything to their shoes, such as flush toe taps, in which screws go into the welt.

Let’s say it like that: manufacturers reserve the right not to accept repairs which have been previously repaired elsewhere. That does not mean they will refuse all previous third party repairs. If the shoe has been significantly altered, for example where a previously welted sole has been replaced with a Blake-stitched one and a trail of stitching holes will have perforated the insole, they are likely to refuse. Refurbishment of a pair of shoes makes the manufacturer a profit; it’s not a guarantee job which gets done for free.

I don’t think a sunken toe plate would warrant rejection, after all, the welt will be replaced.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let’s say it like that: manufacturers reserve the right not to accept repairs which have been previously repaired elsewhere. That does not mean they will refuse all previous third party repairs. If the shoe has been significantly altered, for example where a previously welted sole has been replaced with a Blake-stitched one and a trail of stitching holes will have perforated the insole, they are likely to refuse. Refurbishment of a pair of shoes makes the manufacturer a profit; it’s not a guarantee job which gets done for free.
I don’t think a sunken toe plate would warrant rejection, after all, the welt will be replaced.

As far as I know, the standard recraft on a goodyear shoe does not include replacement of the welt.

Sure they reserve the right to reject them, and i'd imagine a good number of them would say no when it comes to sunken toe plates.

Alan K C

Reaction score
Hi DpprDr,

I was wondering if you have any update with shoemakers reject recraft or resole due to the flushed metal toe plates (FMTP) installed by local cobblers such as B. Nelson? Any structural damage or issues with shoes after FMTP? After reading through some of the recent discussions related to FMTP, many SFers (other then shoemakers) agreed FMTP is one of the better solution for fast wear toe. I understand many of SFers had them installed and I am just about to get them install to a few pairs of new shoes. Your update or anyone with FMTP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi DpprDr,

I was wondering if you have any update with shoemakers reject recraft or resole due to the flushed metal toe plates (FMTP) installed by local cobblers such as B. Nelson? Any structural damage or issues with shoes after FMTP? After reading through some of the recent discussions related to FMTP, many SFers (other then shoemakers) agreed FMTP is one of the better solution for fast wear toe. I understand many of SFers had them installed and I am just about to get them install to a few pairs of new shoes. Your update or anyone with FMTP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm relatively certain that most manufacturers would reject for recrafting shoes that have FMTPs. I know AE is one of them.

Alan K C

Reaction score
Quadcammer, thank you for your input.

What is interesting is in the new EG catalog. P.10: "From the parade group to the battlefield, Edward Green has a proud history of making footwear for those serving the Crown. These new additions named after army training camps, are inspired by that military heritage. The Bordon and Longmoor have metal toe-plates, revered eyelets and a dazzling polish."

issuu.com/edwardgreen/docs/edward_green_catalogue

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never heard of a cobbler taking a Goodyear-welted shoe and Blake-stitching on a new sole.
puzzled.gif
Isn't one of the reasons that many consider Blake-stitching to be inferior to Goodyear-welting due to the fact that fewer cobblers have the machines to do it? I know DWFII contends that Blake-stitching is ultimately superior due to the distaste for gemming, but most people stick with Goodyear-welting anyway due to it's "ease" of recrafting. I would be furious if I took my shoes to a cobbler and when they gave them back they were Blake-stitched through the insoles.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the standard recraft on a goodyear shoe does not include replacement of the welt.

Sure they reserve the right to reject them, and i'd imagine a good number of them would say no when it comes to sunken toe plates.

I am pretty sure that recrafting for all of the common Goodyear-welted companies does include automatic welt replacement. In fact, it is one of the very reasons that recrafting actually shortens the overall life of a Goodyear-welted shoe. If the welt were left intact, then they could be resoled far more times and the shoes would last far longer. With welt replacement, they generally say that the shoes can only be recrafted 4-5 times due to the weakening of the upper leather's integrity where the welt is stitched on by machine.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm relatively certain that most manufacturers would reject for recrafting shoes that have FMTPs. I know AE is one of them.

Ae almost certainly would reject them, but I think AE is extremely particular about this. With EGs it does not matter since they will give you the option of having toe taps added if you buy them in their store or order MTO (here I would simply ask them to have the taps added for you and you will be fine). No idea about C&J and the others, but why don't you simply call them up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics