• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resoling shoes and shopping in Milan & Rome

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
Why do I get the feeling there are two "teams on the fora?" And Manton (and jcusey) is definitely not on mine! Too bad that I appear to be on the wrong side of the occasionally churlish forum "experts."

Hmm, well rest assured, I don't consider myself on any 'team'. I've disagreed with way too many people for that :).

"You're assuming that he will not be buying more shoes than he already has and thus his rotation will not be increased."

I am not assuming anything. There are several reasons he might put a lot of wear on his shoes, rotation being one of them.

Yes, there are indeed several reasons. So, if there are several reasons why he might be putting lots of wear on his shoes, and rotation might be one of them, why conclude that he should turn to rubber soled shoes when increasing his rotation might lead to less wear on his leather soles? Unless you assume that increasing his rotation won't help, suggesting he should choose shoes with rubber soles (when he's specifically stated he wants leather soles) is really undue advice.

"an equally plausible assumption that he wants leather-soled shoes because of the benefits typically associated with them: (1) 'breathability'

I do not think that anything on the sole breathes. If it breathes out, it has to absorb in, barring some high-tech materials like Gortex. Plus, I have never heard of anyone's attributing breathability to soles. I am sure you will find a quote of someone somewhere saying this. I don't care, I don't believe it.

I really don't think this is a controversial point. Nonetheless, let's consider your reasoning. Porous materials, whether natural or synthetic, do not necessarily absorb as much as they allow to exit, and vice versa. Second of all, even if such were the case with leather soles, increasing ventilation (in and out) would keep the foot cooler and keep it from heating up and sweating as much. Since the foot itself is the prime source of heat and moisture when wearing shoes, and not usually the outside environment, ventilation that equally absorbs and breathes will still benefit the foot by allowing the relatively cooler air outside the shoe to cool it down: after all, your body temperature is around 98.6 degrees farenheit--how often does it get hotter than that outside?

"more elegant shape, and (3) high-quality RTW dress shoes tend to have leather soles."

I agree that leather is more elegant looking, and I agree that high-quality RTW dress shoes tend to have leather soles.

And these are not qualities that can be easily compromised when one is looking for a dress shoe.

And the idea of rubber-soled shoes becoming misshapen is equally silly to me. I would love to see photographs of examples, however.

I can fathom that well-made shoes with leather soles will not suffer this as much, but as you've agreed about, most nice RTW shoes are going to have leather soles. Have you ever seen a pair of rubber-soled Kenneth Coles after a summer of wear, even with the daily use of shoe trees and proper rotation? Trust me, not a pretty sight.

"Finally, you have also assumed the OP will not take more care with these new shoes."

Again, I have not assumed anything. I made a suggestion to get shoes with thick rubber soles if he was in a situation where his leather soles required frequent replacement. I still think this good sense. Obviously I have run afoul of the rubber-sole fascists.

Again, without this assumption, your suggestion is undue since he might alleviate the problem through other means that do not require resorting to thicker, rubber soles.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A line-by-line refutation of Bresch ... so many memories ...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
A line-by-line refutation of Bresch ... so many memories ...

Hmm, is there some kind of tradition I'm not aware of?

brescd01

Reaction score
I am glad I allowed you this walk down memory lane Manton...I am quite sure however that our recollections are slightly different.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am glad I allowed you this walk down memory lane Manton...I am quite sure however that our recollections are slightly different.

I'm sure there's a very fascinating and entertainingly bitter history here, but are you going to continue discussing the whole rubber sole issue? I took all that time to do a line-by-line refutation
smile.gif

cappyg00k

Reaction score
Whoa, didn't mean to cause an argument. Just to set the record straight, although I don't know if it matters, I do have 3 pairs of shoes in rotation, I do care for them quite well (shoe cream, trees, worn every other day, etc.), 2 of the 3 pairs are leather soled (1 are Eccos, for those long walking days) and I got rubber soles on the leather soles.

My original question was really where/how to get them resoled, since I don't travel to Italy every year. Also, I wasn't sure if I should trust them to my local cobbler (I'm thinking not).

As for the breathability factor, I have to agree, I don't believe that really happens. I remember a style forum poster once said the same thing to his cobbler and the cobbler laughed at him
blush.gif

And I must also agree with the warping, I don't think it happens. I've had 5 pairs of shoes with rubber soles put on them and have never experienced "warping".

Finally, leather soles are just a pretentious thing for me, and aesthetic. They look l33ter
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Thankfully there is a written record.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
leather uppers on rubber-soled shoes can become misshapen over time given the disparity between the physical properties of rubber and leather?

What physical property do you have in mind? I imagine that the most relevant one would be flexibility and, in that regard, a rubber sole is more similar to a shoe's upper than a hard leather one.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
What physical property do you have in mind? I imagine that the most relevant one would be flexibility and, in that regard, a rubber sole is more similar to a shoe's upper than a hard leather one.

For starters, I would think that leather and rubber expand and contract differently when heated or cooled. Also, I'm not so sure the issue is whether the rubber sole is as flexible as the upper; in fact, a stiffer sole might prevent less wear on the upper by constricting the degree to which the leather must bend or move.

I imagine a lot depends on the kind of rubber sole and the construction of the shoe. I disclaimed earlier that I have no doubt a well-made rubber shoe might avoid a lot of the problem. But if someone is looking for a leather-soled dress shoe, the number of rubber-soled shoes that will perform the same way are probably few and far between.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
For starters, I would think that leather and rubber expand and contract differently when heated or cooled. Also, I'm not so sure the issue is whether the rubber sole is as flexible as the upper; in fact, a stiffer sole might prevent less wear on the upper by constricting the degree to which the leather must bend or move.

I imagine a lot depends on the kind of rubber sole and the construction of the shoe. I disclaimed earlier that I have no doubt a well-made rubber shoe might avoid a lot of the problem. But if someone is looking for a leather-soled dress shoe, the number of rubber-soled shoes that will perform the same way are probably few and far between.

My point isn't so much which, from the prospective of amateur theoretical physics, causes incrementally more or less wear on the upper but rather that such an difference (if it exists at all) is of far less concern than someone needs or prefers in terms of styling, wear and traction for a particular shoe.

brescd01

Reaction score
Manton, you are a legend in your own mind.....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton, you are a legend in your own mind.....

If true, that would at least make me slightly more self-aware than you. I can live with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads