• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resoling Florsheim Shell Longwings w/ Joh. Redenbach

lbcgav

Reaction score
I'm preparing to have a pair of Florshiem Imperial longwings resoled by B. Nelson and noticed on their order form that one option is to use Joh. Redenbach soles. This costs an extra $30. Is it worth it and can anyone explain to me what's so special about these soles?

I noticed lefty just had a pair of his resoled by them and they used Pisa soles. Are these an acceptable alternative? Any insight would be appreciated.

shoefan

Reaction score
Rendenbach make, along with Bakers of England, the best soling leather left in the world (perhaps also JM Weston, who tan their own). In Rendenbach's case, it is pit tanned, in - IIRC - a combination of oak-bark and valonia liquor. This yields leather that is very dense and long wearing. Most of the finest RTW shoemakers in the world use Rendenbach. Whether it is worth the upcharge is up to you, but I would imagine the longer life of the soles might well render the excharge cost a good investment.

http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/index_gb.html

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
Rendenbach make, along with Bakers of England, the best soling leather left in the world (perhaps also JM Weston, who tan their own). In Rendenbach's case, it is pit tanned, in - IIRC - a combination of oak-bark and valonia liquor. This yields leather that is very dense and long wearing. Most of the finest RTW shoemakers in the world use Rendenbach. Whether it is worth the upcharge is up to you, but I would imagine the longer life of the soles might well render the excharge cost a good investment.

http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/index_gb.html

Thanks for the response. I think I'll give them a try.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow I didn't know that about Rendenbach. Sounds worth it to me.

Regardless of which sole you choose, post pics. I can't remember ever seeing a Florsheim Imperial on a proper resole.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

Regardless of which sole you choose, post pics. I can't remember ever seeing a Florsheim Imperial on a proper resole.

Not Redenbach soles, but these turned out fairly proper.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where/how much? Did they do the double sole? Do they actually replace the double sole or peel back one layer? Have you worn them?

DC_lawstd

Reaction score
There was recent thread on AAAC that showed a good looking v-cleat resole by B Nelson. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...d.php?p=890314 I'm starting to stalk ebay for an old pair with the intent of having them redone. edit: apparently the AAAC thread reposted the pic from here - there must be a thread floating around.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The following use it
Vass
G&G
EG
Cleverley

lbcgav

Reaction score

I plan to post pics.

These are lefty's that were done by B. Nelson. These look pretty damn close to the originals. They got all the nail locations right, including the brass ones at the front of the heel and the 5 on the sole itself. The V-cleat looks right to me as well. The only difference I notice is the type of nails they used around the heel. The originals are a bit oblong while his are perfectly round.

Attachment 18553

I don't plan on getting the v-cleat and all those nails on the heel--they're not the kindest to wood floors--I think I'll be getting the Alden style heel instead.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where/how much? Did they do the double sole? Do they actually replace the double sole or peel back one layer? Have you worn them?

These were done by a small cobbler shop near Pittsburgh. I only requested replacement of the outer sole, so that is all they did. I asked not to have the original nail pattern repeated on the heel as I think that causes you to slip more. I did want the v-cleat though. I didn't wear them, they were flipped. Total cost for the sole and heel replacement was $42.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
These were done by a small cobbler shop near Pittsburgh. I only requested replacement of the outer sole, so that is all they did. I asked not to have the original nail pattern repeated on the heel as I think that causes you to slip more. I did want the v-cleat though. I didn't wear them, they were flipped. Total cost for the sole and heel replacement was $42.

My main cobbler uses these soles, they're long wearing.

mimile

Reaction score
Laszlo Vass calls the Redenbach 'the Mercedes of outsole'. Simply the best.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lbcgav
I plan to post pics. These are lefty's that were done by B. Nelson. These look pretty damn close to the originals. They got all the nail locations right, including the brass ones at the front of the heel and the 5 on the sole itself. The V-cleat looks right to me as well. The only difference I notice is the type of nails they used around the heel. The originals are a bit oblong while his are perfectly round. Attachment 18553 I don't plan on getting the v-cleat and all those nails on the heel--they're not the kindest to wood floors--I think I'll be getting the Alden style heel instead.
The original nails on the heel were hobnails and unavailable, so that was their compromise. As you note: hell on wood floors and death on ice. The v cleat was also a little compromise as it now comes to the edge of the hell whereas the original was inset slightly. I was told that the insetting the cleat required a special machine which they don't have as there is little demand for this type of heel. The sole stain was done by me. It took a while to find the right stuff which I finally sourced here . I have a ton of stain left so if you're interested and in NYC I can let you have some. It takes very little to get the effect. By they way, these cordovan longwings are just sitting in my closet as they no longer fit my feet and are for sale - 10B which fits a C to a small D. lefty

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
The original nails on the heel were hobnails and unavailable, so that was their compromise. As you note: hell on wood floors and death on ice.

The v cleat was also a little compromise as it now comes to the edge of the hell whereas the original was inset slightly. I was told that the insetting the cleat required a special machine which they don't have as there is little demand for this type of heel.

The sole stain was done by me. It took a while to find the right stuff which I finally sourced here . I have a ton of stain left so if you're interested and in NYC I can let you have some. It takes very little to get the effect.

By they way, these cordovan longwings are just sitting in my closet as they no longer fit my feet and are for sale - 10B which fits a C to a small D.

lefty

Thanks for the offer for the stain but I'm in California. If my feet were 10's I'd definitely be interested in those shoes.

frank212

Reaction score
Just picked up a 5 nail vcleat so I'm reinvigorating this thread.

I've been considering the options for a heel and sole replacement. As intriguing it is to restore it in all its steel and copper glory, with the number of slick metallic steel surfaces on nyc streets, it may be one too many objects to navigate in addition to traffic, people, poop, gum . . . .

But perhaps I can retain the 5 nails.

Any thoughts about getting the JR sole, and having those 5 nails punched into it?

I also saw a heel with what looked like two penny shaped copper discs in it. Presumably, to save the wearing down of the heel. Would anyone know the name of those heels?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads