1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Resole Rockport Dressports ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BankerBoi, Nov 15, 2009.

1. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Senior Member

My Dressports (wingtips or captoes) are great commuter shoes, but a few months of daily use,
    the outside edge of the heel is more than half worn down, and the sole around the ball-inside edge
    is more than 2/3 worn through. The wingtips took 9 months to wear and the leather top/body is in medium condition.
    The coptoes took only 3 months to wear, but the leather uppers are still in new condition.

Resoling rockports costs $50
    http://rockportresole.com/
    http://www.resole.com/Rockports-Shoe-Repair.aspx

New shoes cost $80 to $120 at Zappos, Endless, or my annual trek to the discount mall.

Is it worth it to have them resoled ? I think there is lots of life in the uppers.
    But I wear and walk in the Dressports so much becuase of the shock absorbing construction.
    I had my Clarks re-heeled, and the cobbler used a rigid plastic to replace the work rubbery heel,
    and the shoe became painfull for walking.

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1258259710
    [​IMG]

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Distinguished Member

I have 4 pair of Rockport DressSports myself. If the tops are in good condition, I would get them re-soled when they need it. Most here may not agree, but saving money is saving money.

3. Checkerboard 13

Checkerboard 13 Well-Known Member

I have 4 pair of Rockport DressSports myself. If the tops are in good condition, I would get them re-soled when they need it. Most here may not agree, but saving money is saving money.

I have what amounts to a small pile of dressports. I've used them for years as "throw-away" shoes, for wear in less than ideal conditions.
    I've never even considered resoling them, and at $50 for a resole, I doubt I ever would. Unless one pays full retail, a new pair can be had for around that price. (Last pair of dressports I got, I purchased on ebay for something like $42.)

As a side note, I find the quality and design of the dressport line to have fallen tremendously. Having become frustrated at finding a captoe I liked within Rockport's line, I finally decided to pick up another pair of AE Park Avenues, to dedicate to use in poor conditions. I plan to take care of them (clean, polish, dry properly if wet, always use trees, etc.) but being as I bought them on ebay for around the price a pair of derssports would have run, if they only last a year, I'll be happy. (Given the quality and the ability to recraft, I have a feeling they might last much longer than that.)