• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Resize a 42 to a 36 or 38?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can it be done? My brother has a pair of RL wool pants in size 42, and I was hoping to make them fit my size 36 waist. (I sometimes go with size 38 so they fit my big thighs) Is it worth a shot? Or should I not bother?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With your average pair of dress trousers that have a waist in the mid-thirties, you have a seam allowance of two inches. You can let them out or take them in about that much. Taking them in further would mean adjusting many other things, if you can, so it's best to just go with a pair of pants in your actual size.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you could take in about 2" at the waist, and then possibly a couple more on the side seams so that the proportions don't change too much. You could also add darts and other things if that still wasn't enough. So feasibly, yes, but it will take a lot of effort and some good money.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I think it will be way too much to take in. A competent (i.e. excellent) tailor needs to re-cut the pants for you. I think you will be better off getting a pair in your size.

nycstylist

Reaction score
^ Its true. I'd recommend just going buying a new pair. 42 to a 36 is toooo much.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider wearing them with an undersized jacket and a bowler hat.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.