• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reshaping lapels - Armani "Kent" Double Breasted

PrestonCR

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the forum, have been an enthusiast for a long time but recently took the plunge on some finer clothes and am hoping to get sucked into the rabbit hole. One of the articles I recently purchased is an older Armani Kent style 4x1 suit. While I enjoy it as it is, I have to wonder if there is a way to modify it to the more standard 4x2 configuration. Is there a way for a skilled tailor to modify the lapels from this deep cut to a more modern fold, ending right above the top button? Buttons and such are easy enough to move but this does no good if the lapels are a done deal. Any thoughts?

If I have no luck adjusting this, I'm perfectly happy to wear it as a 4x1 - but I question my own ability to pull such a brave look off. ;)

Thanks!

[/IMG]

Last edited:

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
I would first ask how much you value that suit - reshaping the lapels is a risky proposition. Once you apply the heat of the iron you risk warping the canvas underneath; if the chest is fused applying heat can cause the fusing to "bubble".

That lapel seems pretty hard pressed to me, and I think even if you were able to get the crease out of the lower portion successfully, it would pull weirdly across the front given how far the second button is up and across the chest.

How does the 4x1 look as is? Can you rock it? Or do you feel uncomfortable wearing it and is it very obviously dated?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you are attempting is the opposite of rolling the lapel from the top button of a 3 button to the lower middle button.

You are asking to make the lapel roll higher. You cannot do this by pressing. This is a function of the tension of the collar on the lapel. To create the lapel roll to a higher point you need a new collar that is longer. This is possible if the collar has outlets folded under at both ends of the collar. You only need to remake the under collar and apply the top collar. You will want to adjust the front edge on the left front to remove the curve on the lapel edge from the lowest button to the new buttonhole position. If you don't change the length of the collar and just add a new buttonhole, the lapel will still roll to the lower point and will look strained when buttoning the jacket higher. Will pull away at the collar.

What did you mean when you said it is easy to move buttonholes?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What you are attempting is the opposite of rolling the lapel from the top button of a 3 button to the lower middle button.

You are asking to make the lapel roll higher. You cannot do this by pressing. This is a function of the tension of the collar on the lapel. To create the lapel roll to a higher point you need a new collar that is longer. This is possible if the collar has outlets folded under at both ends of the collar. You only need to remake the under collar and apply the top collar. You will want to adjust the front edge on the left front to remove the curve on the lapel edge from the lowest button to the new buttonhole position. If you don't change the length of the collar and just add a new buttonhole, the lapel will still roll to the lower point and will look strained when buttoning the jacket higher. Will pull away at the collar.

Wise advice as ever.

PrestonCR

Reaction score

I'm not sure if I'm totally understanding you - my idea is not simply to add a buttonhole and button it on top, the thought is that the lapel could potentially be reshaped? Press a new crease and remove the old one without otherwise modifying the construction of the jacket.

And sorry, I meant move buttons and add buttonholes.

PrestonCR

Reaction score

I would first ask how much you value that suit - reshaping the lapels is a risky proposition. Once you apply the heat of the iron you risk warping the canvas underneath; if the chest is fused applying heat can cause the fusing to "bubble".

That lapel seems pretty hard pressed to me, and I think even if you were able to get the crease out of the lower portion successfully, it would pull weirdly across the front given how far the second button is up and across the chest.

How does the 4x1 look as is? Can you rock it? Or do you feel uncomfortable wearing it and is it very obviously dated?

Had not thought about the canvas or bubbling - thanks for bringing that up.

To address the height of the top two buttons, I could have them moved, potentially, to an appropriate position before adding any new buttonholes. Was already planning to replace these with horn so it's not a stretch.

As far as how it is now, it's something that I think I could possibly pull off (once it's tailored to fit much slimmer), however, I tend to prefer the 4x1 all around, or even that great 2x1 look I've seen here and there, although that in particular is out of the question for this suit as far as I know.

PrestonCR

Reaction score
Examined the jacket and it appears that it is canvassed - so the risk of warping is there but at least not the bubbling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads