• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resale outlets

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the old forum i saw mention of resale outlets. Places where you could get stuff like $300 cashmere sweaters for 60 bucks cause they're a season old or something... This to me would be heaven on earth
smile.gif
I have a friend that lives in boston that wants to start dressing better. I believe you said you had compiled lists of where to shop in most cities in the US. Do you have anything for boston? He's still in college so he doesn't have tons and tons of money to spend on clothes. So, if you know of any resale outlets in that area that sell top of the line clothes, he'd be eternally grateful. Also.. I live in montreal and I'm pretty sure there aren't any good resale outlets here, but if anyone knows of one i'd really like to know. Right now I pretty much buy everything full price at Harry Rosen and it gets really expensive. I dress very well, but casually (no sport jackets or suits cause i'm still in college). Anyway i'm pretty sure montreal doesnt have the volume to support a high quality resale outlet but there's no harm in asking heh. The brands I'd be looking for in an outlet would be armani collezioni, burberry, boss hugo boss, RL purple, prada, gucci, salvatore ferragamo (i cant seem to find ANY place with a decent selection of these in montreal), etc. Anyway if you have it great, if not, don't go troubling yourself looking for this stuff. Thanks

Jofaile

Reaction score
GQgeek: I am in total agreement with you man. I tend to buy the more expensive clothing all the time. I do wear Suits and Sport Jackets all the time and my casual looks more like a college students 'dressed-up.' I am fairly well off but I am only 18 (March 7th) and it tends to get very expensive.

So, if I could, I would like to add Charlotte, NC, to the mix of cities. I have not been able to locate a resale or factory outlet yet but if anyone knows of one (or many), I would be very appreciative.

Timothy

Reaction score
The ones in my area are TJ Maxx, Marshals, Value City, and Gabriel brothers. I would suggest typing these names into Google to see which ones have web sites. I know that TJ Maxx does, but not as to the others. On the TJ Maxx site you can type in your zip code and it will tell you the closest stores in your area. Other options is to look into the phonebook and see if these stores, or ones that sound like they would be similar, are in there. You can also just ask people in your local area to see if they know of any.

The highest brand I have ever seen at one of these stores is RL Purple Label sweaters, but I have also found both Dolce & Gabbana and Gucci sunglasses. These were all at TJ Maxx. I have found D&G Jeans, Gianni Versace slacks, and Ike Behar shirts at a store called C-Mart, but as far as I know there is only one which is located in Bel Air MD, but they too have a web site so you can check to see if there are more. I doubt you would find Gucci, Armani, Ferragamo, Burberry, or Prada at any of these stores, but I may be wrong. To find such high end fashion you may want to check local thrift stores to see where the more "well to do" take there old clothes. I've found a bunch of Burberry dress shirts, and even a polo at the Local Salvation Army. I have also found some Yves Saint Laurent shirts, and seen two suits; saw some Dior suits;and got ties by Giorgio Armani, Gianni Versace, and Hermes, but that's about the extent of the high end labels I've come across. Best luck to both of you, and happy hunting.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh well thats good then. I'm glad to see i'm not paying 10x what i could be paying for some of these things since none of those stores carry the stuff i tend to buy anyway. As for thrift stores, I've got some kind of built up resistance inside of me that prevents me from entering them. I'll give my friend a list of those places though cause there's probably at least one of them in Boston. There aren't any in Montreal =/

Jofaille, I'd love to wear sport jackets all the time but it really wouldnt fly here, at least not as something you wear on a day to day basis. Lately I've been thinking about getting a couple to wear just for the hell of it once in a while cause I really do love them and they are quite versatile.

PConsultant

Reaction score
Another one to check out is Filene's Basement. They're just like T.J. Maxx and often have some great stuff. However, it takes some patient searching and often multiple visits. In the end, though, it's well worth it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Hey, guys, sorry it took so long to post a reply. I was travelling for business. For your friend in Boston there are two great outlet places nearby. The one in Wrentham is closest. Link is below. However, most specialty stores will have prices just as good if you shop at the end of the season. I can send him a Word Doc that has them listed. I've sent a couple to Boston recently...
smile.gif
http://www.premiumoutlets.com

Automatic

Reaction score
There are Harry Rosen and Holt outlets in Toronto, I dunno about Montreal...just call them and ask their outlet address - they'll give it up, it's a company policy. As long as you live in Canada - consider Club Monaco, they are not labelwhore's icon but they carry pretty decent stuff at decent prices. ( I always go to their samples sales, last time I bought among other stuff Nicole Farhi jacket for like $5
smile.gif
)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow sweet. I had no idea harry rosen had an outlet store.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's back...

In Boston/Providence/General New England area I'd say Filene's Basement, the Premium Outlets in MA or Clinton, CT. Also, there are pretty good outlets up in New Hampshire (plus, no tax, though there is no tax on clothes in MA or RI anyway) and up in Maine around Kittery and Freeport, where LL Bean's HQ is.

Hit up tourist area's like Newport, RI, and Cape Cod in MA on the off season. There are lots of high-end retailers in those parts that put out sales and get mighty flexible in negotiating when they're only seeing 20% of their summer revenue.

Otherwise, you can always buy from here, eBay, Overstock, etc...

I've never seen anything much better than Polo at a TJ Maxx or Marshalls... but I gave up on those stores along time ago. I've never seen one located where they'd attract the type of customers that FB does.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha, someone replied, and then I replied because it was on page 1 I didn't even bother to look.

I'll delete now.

houserichichi

Reaction score
I work at the Boss outlet store in Windsor. PM me for details or info.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as stated above by houserichichi, the boss outlet in canada is in windsor and there are a lot of deals, especially on the boss black label and selection lines

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Okay, it's back...

In Boston/Providence/General New England area I'd say Filene's Basement, the Premium Outlets in MA or Clinton, CT. Also, there are pretty good outlets up in New Hampshire (plus, no tax, though there is no tax on clothes in MA or RI anyway) and up in Maine around Kittery and Freeport, where LL Bean's HQ is.

Hit up tourist area's like Newport, RI, and Cape Cod in MA on the off season. There are lots of high-end retailers in those parts that put out sales and get mighty flexible in negotiating when they're only seeing 20% of their summer revenue.

Otherwise, you can always buy from here, eBay, Overstock, etc...

I've never seen anything much better than Polo at a TJ Maxx or Marshalls... but I gave up on those stores along time ago. I've never seen one located where they'd attract the type of customers that FB does.

+1. I've had minimal success at Marshalls and TJM, looking for hidden jems. I think the outlets are the best option. The premium outlets outside of Boston (Wrentham) are great. For shoes, Ferragamo has an outlet that has great blowout prices during their big sales, and polo outlets can also be a great resource. Other than that, ebay is a good alternative, and if you know your brands, thrift shops in New England have some serious potential.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads