REQUEST - Wearra Shoe Info

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nexus6, May 14, 2009.

1. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Does anyone know any information on a company named WEARRA ?
    Made In England

I am going through a box of shoes I thrifted a few years ago and came across
    a dress loafer.
    Anyone know this company and specifics?
    When were they in business?
    What quality of shoes did they produce?
    Any info at all is appreciated.

2. David John

David John New Member

Hello.
    I worked for Wearra Shoes from 1961 to 1966, in the sales office.
    They were in Irthlingborough, in Northamptonshire, a county famous for leather production and the manufacture of men's shoes.
    They were established in the 19th century by the Shortland family, and made sound quality Goodyear welted leather soled men's shoes until the 1970's. They were not makers of the highest quality shoes but were well respected, and towards the end of the time I was with them, began exporting to the US.
    They were one of the larger firms in the area, buying in ladies' shoes from Leicestershire, the main centre of women's shoe production.
    For most of their life, they traded as John Shortland Ltd., adopting the name Wearra in the 1940's I believe. They were always still referred to locally as "Shortlands".
    Most of the shoe factories in the area had gone by 1980, unable to compete with cheap imports from the far east.
    I'm sure I could dredge up a bit more from my memory if there is anything specific you wish to know.
    Best wishes, David.

3. John Shortland

John Shortland New Member

Hi,

Im John Shortland, the original John shortland was my great grandad. [ATTACHMENT=3016]Shortland1.jpg (1,714k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

There is a shoe museum in nottinhamshire (not sure where, im from scotland) that has quite a bit of info about the company. Ive attached an article i had from them.

We didn't know about our shoe business heritage until recently. I find it odd that there was a type of shoe called 'shortlands'.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012