• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for RM Williams Pics

jolla

Reaction score
Hi,

Long time lurker--first time poster. I've read hundreds of posts on every topic here and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the great advice.

I was in Charleston last weekend and stopped in to Ben Silver. I've since sort of fallen in love with the RM Williams boots that I saw there:
- RM Williams Craftsman

I've found them at much better prices online and I'm so close to purchasing these, but...I can't find a single picture anywhere on the internet of what these puppies look like after they've been worn a little bit. I'm also really interested in how they look with jeans. I've seens tons of posts about their suitability to be worn with jeans, but I just want to see it with my own 2 eyes.

So, if anyone has any pics of themselves wearing their beloved RM Williams' (of any make/color/etc) I'd love to see them!

Thanks in advance!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jolla
Hi,

Long time lurker--first time poster. I've read hundreds of posts on every topic here and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the great advice.

I was in Charleston last weekend and stopped in to Ben Silver. I've since sort of fallen in love with the RM Williams boots that I saw there:
- RM Williams Craftsman

I've found them at much better prices online and I'm so close to purchasing these, but...I can't find a single picture anywhere on the internet of what these puppies look like after they've been worn a little bit. I'm also really interested in how they look with jeans. I've seens tons of posts about their suitability to be worn with jeans, but I just want to see it with my own 2 eyes.

So, if anyone has any pics of themselves wearing their beloved RM Williams' (of any make/color/etc) I'd love to see them!

Thanks in advance!

I couldn't help but take you a couple of pics to show off my pair since I live in Sydney and own exactly the same pair as the ones you had your eye on.

I have shown them with jeans, pinstripe suit, and navy cotton trousers just to show off their versatility. I own a pair of jodhpurs from Sutor Mantellasi, Crockett & Jones, plus another pair of Chelseas by Sergio Rossi. I can tell you that our own RM Williams is right up there in terms of quality. In terms of comfort they may actually be even better. I love 'em and would recommend them wholeheartedly to anyone. I am sure you know that there are Australian online sellers who can offer them for a better price than in the link you have shown (I got mine in a sale for about $200 USD at a local David Jones department store).

dsc020654iy.jpg

dsc020674ut.jpg

dsc020632do.jpg

AmInAm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I love 'em and would recommend them wholeheartedly to anyone. I am sure you know that there are Australian online sellers who can offer them for a better price than in the link you have shown (I got mine in a sale for about $200 USD at a local David Jones department store).

Any recommendations on where to go looking for a pair in person in Sydney? I've been thinking of getting a pair of brown Chelsea boots for awhile, and since I'll be visiting Sydney in mid-July, I thought I'd check out RM Williams while I was there. (Also, although this may be getting off-topic, any must-sees, shopping-wise, in Sydney?)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AmInAm
Any recommendations on where to go looking for a pair in person in Sydney? I've been thinking of getting a pair of brown Chelsea boots for awhile, and since I'll be visiting Sydney in mid-July, I thought I'd check out RM Williams while I was there. (Also, although this may be getting off-topic, any must-sees, shopping-wise, in Sydney?)

R.M. Williams has three stores in the city centre

1. George St
2. The Rocks
3. Chifley Plaza

The addresses are listed here:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...183805A447E945

Probably 1 and 2 will be the easiest to find. Most visitors to Sydney will end up at The Rocks near the Opera House at some time. They have an excellent MTM service so if you wanted something particular they will be able to make it for you. Remember to keep your receipts because if you have purchased more than about $250-300 AUD (?) on one receipt you can claim 10% tax back at the airport on the way out of the country if you show them the goods. The office is inside after check in at Sydney Airport so you will have to have the goods on you with your hand luggage. Unlike in Europe you only need the receipts and there is no extra paperwork you need to have filled out at the purchasing store.

David Jones in the city centre (almost across the other side of the street from the George St RM Williams store) has only a very small selection of RM Williams boots. However, they seem to be more competitively priced during their annual sales. You will have arrived around the end of financial year sales so you might get lucky.

Otherwise what sort of things were you interested in? And also very importantly where may I ask do you live?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention to all concerned: Make sure you get yourself a tin of the RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing. It is a colourless leather conditioner that is meant to be applied every 3 months or so. You rub it in with your fingers so your body heat melts it and helps it be absorbed into the leather. It's smells lovely (like a sweet bees wax) and is a pleasure to rub into all of your best leather.

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...50AE8E76E3EBF9

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering a pair and believe this store has the best online prices and has a MTO option: http://nungar.com.au/index.htm I notice that they're located at The Rock, NSW, which I presume is the tourist area of that name in Sydney(?). Edit: Sator, very sharp boots. You've whetted my appetite again!

mrchapel

Reaction score
Those are absolutely beautiful boots! Thanks for sharing the pictures; that definitely helps put them into perspective as they are incredibly versatile.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I've been considering a pair and believe this store has the best online prices and has a MTO option:

http://nungar.com.au/index.htm

I notice that they're located at The Rock, NSW, which I presume is the tourist area of that name in Sydney(?).

Edit: Sator, very sharp boots. You've whetted my appetite again!

Here is a view onto the Sydney Opera House from The Rocks.

http://www.mondophoto.net/oceania/au...s/DSCN1396.jpg

You can see why tourist end up there.

sammy

Reaction score
What is the fit like on RM Williams' boots? Are they true to size like a dress shoe are do they run bigger/smaller? Should you order the same size you would normally wear?

jolla

Reaction score
Sator--thanks for the pics--that was exactly what I was looking for.

If anyone else has a pair that has been worn for a while, I'd also love to see those. Thanks!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
What is the fit like on RM Williams' boots? Are they true to size like a dress shoe are do they run bigger/smaller? Should you order the same size you would normally wear?

They are pretty much true to size. The sizing is the same as UK sizing for dress shoes.

I just pulled out the current RM Williams catalog I picked up at their George St store and this is their conversion scale:

sc002553ad0yj.jpg

I was a bit surprised because normally to convert UK sizes to US you add 1/2. But R.M. Williams seems to recommend adding a whole size. I think this is right because the fit for their regular width UK/Australian 7 is similar to that of an Allen Edmonds size 8D. The trouble is that some conversion scales tell me that US8=UK7.5, while others tell me US8=UK7. The answer is it depends on the maker and the last. I would stick to the manufacturer's recommendation here.

AmInAm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Otherwise what sort of things were you interested in? And also very importantly where may I ask do you live?

Thanks for all the information (and the reminder about tax refunds)! I'm an American, from the Northeast, but I've been living in Amsterdam for the past couple of years (hence the username). As far as what I'm interested in, well, I'm not entirely sure myself. Men's clothing, I suppose (why else would I be on this forum?), although I guess Australia is better known for raw materials than finished goods. Boots, of course, (yours really are gorgeous; I definitely have to come back with a pair myself) and hats, maybe? Apparently also some sort of barbecue sauce (request from the GF).

This'll be my first trip to Australia (actually, to the southern hemisphere, period), and I honestly have very little idea what to expect.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information (and the reminder about tax refunds)! I'm an American, from the Northeast, but I've been living in Amsterdam for the past couple of years (hence the username). As far as what I'm interested in, well, I'm not entirely sure myself. Men's clothing, I suppose (why else would I be on this forum?), although I guess Australia is better known for raw materials than finished goods. Boots, of course, (yours really are gorgeous; I definitely have to come back with a pair myself) and hats, maybe? Apparently also some sort of barbecue sauce (request from the GF).

This'll be my first trip to Australia (actually, to the southern hemisphere, period), and I honestly have very little idea what to expect.

There is sadly a dearth of quality manufactured menswear here in Australia. Your only salvation is the fact that the exchange rate favours you heavily especially if you are paying in Euros. The one really positive thing I have to suggest is the fact that bespoke shirts and suits can be brought here for substantially less than in the US/EU. An excellent fully handmade super 100-120s Zegna fabric suit from an excellent Italian (we have lots of Italian migrants here) suitmaker can be had for around 2200 Euros. I know another ex-colleague of Alex Kabbaz's who can do a bespoke shirt with very nice Italian or Egyptian cottons for around 105 Euros and no minimum order. You will get a far better deal going bespoke where the exchange rate favours you heavily rather than buying from the usual boutiques in touristy areas with high profile names selling stuff from Europe that is a lot more expensive and often lower quality. Interested?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently also some sort of barbecue sauce (request from the GF).

oh yes I forgot about that one. BBQ sauce??? There isn't anything really fancy here that I'm aware of. At every barbeque I've ever been to it's just the really ordinary stuff they sell at the supermarket I'm afraid....
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics