• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for recs- Jeans for the uncool and unthin??

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I like the SDA suggestions, though. Any idea where I would find some in Kobe? Beams or something like that?

These guys seem to carry SDA
http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/

Alter - I didn't know you were in Kobe. My wife is from there and we were there for New Year...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between SDA and APC, you should be set. You might also like to get a work jacket from Rag&Bone (or maybe a local Japanese company) that is more fitted and flattering (you might not think yourself thin, but you are not fat).

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Alter,

being fairly uncool and unthin as well, I bought a pair of jeans in Japan recently that you might like a lot, the Blue and Grey BG061, which is made by the Warehouse company or group or whatever. Since you're in Japan, these should be fairly easy to come across. They look to be about ~40 bucks more than the SDAs, though.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah well, as life often goes...I never made it out shopping today. That gives me a little more exploration time before I purchase something.

Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
Alter,

being fairly uncool and unthin as well, I bought a pair of jeans in Japan recently that you might like a lot, the Blue and Grey BG061, which is made by the Warehouse company or group or whatever. Since you're in Japan, these should be fairly easy to come across. They look to be about ~40 bucks more than the SDAs, though.

Thanks! I will check that out.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Between SDA and APC, you should be set. You might also like to get a work jacket from Rag&Bone (or maybe a local Japanese company) that is more fitted and flattering (you might not think yourself thin, but you are not fat).

Yea, I will check out Rag & Bone also. I suppose I should have said thinner and cooler!

Originally Posted by gdl203
These guys seem to carry SDA
http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/

Alter - I didn't know you were in Kobe. My wife is from there and we were there for New Year...

Yes, i am living on the west side of Kobe; been here since '97. My wife is from here as well...fine stock, those Kobe women
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I usually stay in Japan over the holidays- drop me a line the next time you are in town!

brimley

Reaction score
Just a heads up, while the SDA 103s will be awesome jeans, they're pretty notorious for leaving indigo around on couches and whatnot. That may or may not be an issue for you since I get the impression that you don't wear that much denim. The Rescues won't have that problem and my suspicion is neither will Rag and Bone (but someone else could talk about that).

shelton

Reaction score
You might want to pick up another pair of Levis too. For everyday jeans I dont think anything beats them and they will never look out of place.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
kobe no niku wa doo?
oishii da to omoimasu... tabetemitte kudasaimasenka?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
oishii da to omoimasu... tabetemitte kudasaimasenka?

Mitakunai ga, tabetai! Arujientina no niku o tabetakoto ga atte, totemo oishikute, yasui desu. kobe no niku wa taka sou desu. zan nen desu ne

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Mitakunai ga, tabetai! Arujientina no niku o tabetakoto ga atte, totemo oishikute, yasui desu. kobe no niku wa taka sou desu. zan nen desu ne

もちろん 高いですね。。。 でも とても おいしいい です。
smile.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
もちろん 高いですね。。。 でも とても おいしいい です。
smile.gif

True Kobe beef is far too expensive to eat regularly but it is excellent; perfectly marbled and delicious. I was out for Yakiniku last night and had some...raw!

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True Kobe beef is far too expensive to eat regularly but it is excellent; perfectly marbled and delicious. I was out for Yakiniku last night and had some...raw!

Awesome. Man, i envy you being there. I want to do the JET program.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score

I came home and tossed out the decade-old Levi 505's (and the decade-old J. Crew jacket) that I had been wearing and will head out in a few hours to buy some new jeans.

My plan is to head in to APC and see what looks good...but being in Japan i have a lot of great options here.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

first of all go get those levis out of the garbage. you are in japan. the japanese love levis. you could sell them or even give them to someone. im sure someone wont mind the shorter inseam.

secondly, i agree with the APC, rag and bone, and sda suggestions but no matter what just go for a good fit and simple and dark, (no washes). i would also suggest a pir of dark regular old 501's. just make sure they are a bit longer than your old ones.
tounge.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could also see if the uniqlos in your area have greenline raw selvage in stock.

heartworm

Reaction score
Those jeans are way too short... I'd probably wear straight leg jeans if I were you, or maybe a slight bootcut. But do yourself a favor and get your true waist size and a long enough inseam. Try on a lot of different models and see what fits you the best... I'd get a raw or some subtle wash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads