• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for consideration of employment?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard something today from a friend of mine (airline employee) that since I am not yet 18, and can be hired for an airline position on my 18th birthday, that it would be advisable to submit a request for consideration of employment to the company I want to work for; so if a position opens they at least have my name to consider as a possible candidate. Would anyone recommend doing this? How would I go forward with writing up something pertaining to this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I heard something today from a friend of mine (airline employee) that since I am not yet 18, and can be hired for an airline position on my 18th birthday, that it would be advisable to submit a request for consideration of employment to the company I want to work for; so if a position opens they at least have my name to consider as a possible candidate. Would anyone recommend doing this? How would I go forward with writing up something pertaining to this?

Color me mystified as to why 18 is a magical birthday.

Well, besides the whole adulthood thing - watching Appreciation, entering contracts, credit cards, etc...

Just to take a stab in the dark, though, here are my thoughts:

If you have a contact at the airline of your choice, I would start with them and see who they know in terms of hiring managers. If you can get contact with the hiring manager, I'd lay out the situation, and your desire to work for them, and ask how you should proceed - resume, cover letter, what-have-you. It would be like an informational interview.

If you have no contacts or just want to carpet-bomb the airlines with your letters, I'd do up a brief resume and a cover letter that basically says you may be short on experience but long on hustle. Then detail your firefighter training, your current work, accomplishments, etc. and see what happens.

You'll probably end up doing both, and doing up the resume/cover letter first should help you focus your pitch to your target managers.

Good luck.

danyllau

Reaction score

I don't see y not. I believe a lot reasonably large company also have "general" application, where they may not have a position yet but allow ppl to submit resume. They may then create a position or replace an existing one as needed. Sometimes big companys with a lot of applicants just do this to help filter out and avoid random resume spam, but some friends and I have gotten pretty deep in the recruitment process with a general application.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you going to go to college?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dude, what is it you do at the airport right now? I thought you worked there already? Color me confused.

BTW you do have your $hit incredibly together for a 17yo.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Dude, what is it you do at the airport right now? I thought you worked there already? Color me confused.

I am currently an intern with the airport management's customer service team. The only problem is that my flight benefits are almost nil, and considering I would like to move out of the area, I would like to work for an airline that has global coverage as opposed to the management of a few airports.

I am planning to go to our community college for two years for my associate's (our CC is an incredibly good school apparently) and then transfer out to somewhere else to finish my college work.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Well, you've picked a heck of a time to want to join an airline, what with consolidation and furloughs. What is it exactly that you hope to do?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
Well, you've picked a heck of a time to want to join an airline, what with consolidation and furloughs. What is it exactly that you hope to do?

Customer service, since I'm already involved in it now.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track.. If youve made any contacts whatsoever in your present job, see if you can get them pulling for you somehow. Dont underestimate the ability of nothing more than a known face or series of professional interactions, no matter how trivial you consider them, to open doors.

05charley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

And he owes it all to Styleforum.

Previously he could not walk and chew gum on the same day.

Now if he can just get Conne to tutor him on how to handle women...

Mr T

Reaction score
Why limit yourself so early in your career? If you enjoy interacting with people and traveling there are more careers than working for an airline that you should consider.

You sound pretty level headed for your age - good luck.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Why limit yourself so early in your career? If you enjoy interacting with people and traveling there are more careers than working for an airline that you should consider.

You sound pretty level headed for your age - good luck.

I've always wanted to follow our family's tradition of working for an airline, so I would like to get started early and decide if I like it.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
ya, that's what I was thinking, but oh well. To be honest JB, I'd say this is a good economy to be hiding from - especially in airlines - making it a good time to go hide out in a decent college for four years. Stay nearby and keep the Dulles job part time, and come out and aim a little higher than the customer service counter.
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I think you're on the right track.. If youve made any contacts whatsoever in your present job, see if you can get them pulling for you somehow. Dont underestimate the ability of nothing more than a known face or series of professional interactions, no matter how trivial you consider them, to open doors.
Completely agree with this. Talk to the people you know first, the checkin guys at the airport and so on...use those people to meet the HR guys. A recognisable face will count for more than yet-another-CV in a slowing economy.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to go forward with this idea of consideration of employment, I'll be speaking with my supervisor (customer service manager for the airport) tomorrow about it. Hopefully I will get some good feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads