• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for Advice and Criticism: Which wallet is better and why?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Should I buy an Ettinger
MISTAKE!!! I want a coin pouch
Correct
http://www.ettinger.co.uk/collectio...e-london-tan-billfold-wallet-with-3-c-c-purse

http://www.ettinger.co.uk/collectio...wallet/bridle-hide-london-tan-billfold-wallet
or Aspinal
http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/esho...ped-billfold-coin-wallet-in-amazon-brown-croc

The advice and criticism I received on my previous thread about a little German wallet has influenced me not to buy it and served as initiation into a world more complicated than my simple mind imagined . One poster objected to bridle leather as too thick and recommended calf, but I imagine bridle is most durable - that's one of several reasons which might speak for Ettinger. To my surprise the price of the Ettinger seems to have been reduced, because when I wrote Ettinger to ask why the prices of the colour variations had such a significant difference, the discrepancy was £20 greater. I still don't know why! (Thus I have launched another experiment and asked again.)

Another poster insisted on the colour green, but didn't bother to explain his conviction, which is not evident to someone who has so little experience like me. What's wrong with London Tan?

Since my incurable fear to lose what I put in my wallet cannot be sucessfully treated and because I do indeed misplace things regularly and cards etc. fall out of my present wallet, I consider a zipper model.
The objection that zipping is a bother overlooks the greater displeasure of loss. But these manufacture advertising emblems are ugly. Ettinger only offers zippers to ladies. Maybe next incarnation.

Does anyone have experience with either model and would be so kind to share it with me?

Last edited:

AML225

Reaction score
I do not have any experience with either but I must say the first wallet is beautiful, especially in the tan you mentioned. What are the return policies for each? Can you afford to buy both and return or resell one? That way you can evaluate both first hand. I just couldn't buy something as functional as a wallet with handling it and 'testing' it first.

If it were my own choice I would buy the first option. The smooth leather is more to my taste and I personally wouldn't want a zip wallet but you have justified your possible necessity for one. Either way let us know what you decide and definitely post pictures when you get your new wallet(s).

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I do not have any experience with either but I must say the first wallet is beautiful, especially in the tan you mentioned. What are the return policies for each? Can you afford to buy both and return or resell one? That way you can evaluate both first hand. I just couldn't buy something as functional as a wallet with handling it and 'testing' it first.
If it were my own choice I would buy the first option. The smooth leather is more to my taste and I personally wouldn't want a zip wallet but you have justified your possible necessity for one. Either way let us know what you decide and definitely post pictures when you get your new wallet(s).

Thanks very much indeed for taking the trouble to post your thought on my dilemma. Thank God it occurred to me to check my spam. Why the announcement of your post was routed there is a mystery and first time occurrence. So you consider the Ettinger model and in London Tan OK?

(My 85-year-old neighbor who sold pens and paper as profession told me wallets are visiting cards [metaphor] - so I should aspire to make a better impression.)

Your endorsement encourages me to sink more in debt in hope of resurrection, at least in the estimation of others.

No, I can't afford to buy even one. But if I'm sufficiently convinced I need one, I can persuade someone to buy one for me in this emergency of document and reputation.

You neglect to say why you prefer not a zip wallet! Yes, I know the zip is in fake croc and not smooth, but why are you anti-zip?

The duration of time prior to decision and order does completely depend at first on my clarity of mind which again depends on what I hear here or not! And the duration of time before I return here to acknowedge such helpful posts as yours depends on when I can get Internet access. Please forgive my slow pace.

By the way, I don't know how to post pictures - that's why I posted the Ettinger and Aspinal website addresses where the wallet models are photographed.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads