• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reply to "thanks for coming over"

Berticus

Reaction score
It's not that I get upset when I hear it; I just don't like that phrase. I think something better could be said. I like the idea of including something specific that you liked though.

Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Wow to much of a douche to simply say "Thanks for having me I had a great time"
Uhh... no... That's what I do say, just to be courteous.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm usually too busy apologizing for the mess I've made to worry about a gracious exit.
blush.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???
How is "thanks for coming over," that obtrusive to warrant a thread complaining about it's use? Seems pointlessly obsessive. So does this mean they shouldn't say anything as you leave? Even a "Bye" would be an annoyance to this reasoning. I mean, it's obvious by heading for the door, you intend to leave.

The whole point of it being said is to merely affirm that after the visit is essentially up, the host appreciated your stay. It is not redundant really, because they wouldn't likely say it if the visit was a bad experience for them. It's also a method to gauge whether you really enjoyed the stay or was just sticking around to "be nice."

"No problem."
Or abeit more formal, "Thanks for having me." are easy enought to say I'd think.

On the other hand, use this as a moment to say how much you didn't like the stay if that's how you felt. Doesn't seem as unwarranted as you're making it out to be...

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them you puked already so you're good to drive.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
Am I the only person who hates it when people say this? I don't even really know how to respond to it. I usually respond to it with "thanks for having me." But what else would they do? Turn me away at the door? Another response I use is "I had a lovely time" (or some variant of). However, I find this also as kind of obvious, like the last response. I wouldn't have stayed if I didn't enjoy myself. What's actually a good response that doesn't state the obvious?
"Thanks for letting me **** your wife... HAH! Just kidding Jim."

Reaction score
I dont see any mistake with the way you say that!!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads