• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replies to Buying and Selling posts.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed on the Buying and Selling forum there are a lot of replies that go something like "I love it,I have to have it,its stunning,but its not my size so I will have to pass".I was wondering what everyone thought of posts like this.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Yeah I like em. Plus they do a service to both buyers and sellers because:

1. the thread gets bumped up
2. newbies and lurkers may not of heard of some of the more obscure brands often discussed, so seeing people compliment a brand/say 'thats a great deal' (or conversely call someone on a fake or on something overpriced) can help buyers and/or sellers

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I suppose you are right.I was thinking specifically about when someone registers are definite interest but suspects the item won't fit,when it is mentioned it might work for them they don't pursue it.Therefore getting the sellers hopes up they might have a sale that was never likely to happen in the first place.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh all right, who's gonna fess up for blue balling benecios...?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with m@T on this one. Complimenting items helps to sell them. I find very rude however, posters who comment on the esthetics of an item they dislike in a sales thread; fortunately, this doesn't happen often afaik.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as it's positive, I don't see a problem. After all, this forum is primarily about aesthetics, not commerce, and it seems sort of silly to cross post in the main forum whenever you want to discuss the style of something bosted in B&S.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As someone who does a good deal of buying and selling, it doesn't bother me. It can get a little agonizing if you know you're offering a great deal, and a bunch of posters point that out, and yet no one buys. But that's nothing against the kind posters, who actually are helping the seller.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Oh all right, who's gonna fess up for blue balling benecios...?

Its not aimed at anyone.
smile.gif

I think the Buying and Selling forum has mainly professional sellers(who are used to this behaviour) and people who are selling things that don't get a lot of use and seem to earn 6 figure salaries.I myself,earning 6 figures every 4 years,sell when I am desperate for money so I am probably more sensitive to the replies.

Reading that back it dosnt make a lot of sense but I hope you get the idea.Its late here.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is that we're a really tough crowd, so to speak. Most of us make something of a hobby out of discount clothing shopping, so unless the deal is extraordinarily good, we won't bite.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a lot of people compliment your item but say that it is not their size may only encourage others to bid, and help new members recognize a desirable item. Plus the fact that it gets bumped more is also a good thing.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Having a lot of people compliment your item but say that it is not their size may only encourage others to bid, and help new members recognize a desirable item. Plus the fact that it gets bumped more is also a good thing.

This is why I post when I'm not buying (usually because the size is wrong for me). I'm also hoping the seller, or someone else, will have the item in my size and I tip them that I'm interested.

I'll also post about my experience if the stated size is not a good fit, i.e. if the manufacturer's sizing is larger or smaller than conventional sizing. I figure I'm doing the seller or potential buyers a small service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads