• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replicating a 1930’s suit (need help)

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Do you subscribe to “Vintagebursche”

Ja! Er ist toll!

I think what you're saying is what I'm trying to get at as well. I like that Niklas/Vintagebursche sews a lot of the pieces himself. It doesn't have to be perfection either, just solid cloth sewn together with the right proportions. And I actually think that the DYI-way might be more feasible than the tailor-route, unless one has huge funds and can experiment.

That's why I'm also trying to scour the internet for help in finding old sewing patterns and the like. So if anyone has any information on those resources, I would appreciate it if you could share it. It seems to be hard to come by.

So far I've found;
Nehelenia Patterns
The pattern book from Vintagebursche
Eva Dress Patterns
Vintage Dancer
A.S Bridgland - The Modern Tailor Outfitter & Clothier VOL I-III
Cabrera & Antoine - Classic Tailoring Techniques for Menswear

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ja! Niklas ist toll!

Suggested Niklas as a source to answer your questions. You can also see how he built his wardrobe. He is one of my favorite YouTube/Instagram channels.
You can find suit, jacket, vest and trouser patterns online at cutterandtailor.com. Lots of the patterns are in German. Guessing you speak German.
Starting with an old pattern will make things more difficult if you don't have training in cutting and sewing.

Viel Glück

I'm a Lee Van Cleef fan too!

Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Nein, ich spreche Norwegisch, aber ich kann wenig Deutsch verstehen

Cutter and Tailor have some great recommendations for sewing machines as well. I’ve holded off on getting one (but have put aside money for it), because I didn’t want to buy something that wouldn’t be able to sew through thick woollens.

Great resource! Vielen dank!

Starting with an old pattern will make things more difficult

How come? Why would it be more difficult than a more modern?

bookster1uk

Reaction score
Second the Frank Shattuck suggestion. 1936 in particular seems to be his favorite year and if you look on his social media you'll see lots of things similar to what you describe, a silhouette that is both timeless yet subtly era-specific. He'll of course also be able to hook you up with the appropriate materials, and seems to regularly dress European clients via Skype, so no travel for you. My eyes water at how much this sort of ultra high end project is going to cost you though so before you pull that trigger, unless the cost does not mean much to you, you might want to be sure that it's actually something you will use a lot of, and not something you'll wear once to a costume party and then feel self-conscious in.

Whatever happened to Bookster? Has anyone actually bought from the site that was stood up after their previous incarnation imploded a few years back? They seem to now be an MTO/MTM operation, and they do have the templates you're looking for, such as jackets with biswing shoulders, half belt backs, hard-3-button jackets, etc. and pants with high rises, big pleats, fishtail backs, etc. @Spinster Jones as far as making this thing you have in mind, this is probably the most affordable bet.
We have moved on a lot....here is something from our friends at Aero Leathers...only posted for example https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=4644

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are apparently the local tailors interpretations of «bespoke suits».

I might be wrong, but can this be right?
The first two are extremely "costumey" for the 30s or any other era.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I think the costume-dicussion is a valid one, as people are pointing out in the bespoke western-thread.

Foo had a nice write-up on how wearing a full bespoke suit, or a suit in general, are to uncommon and therefore conspicuous in this day and age.

But that also opens up suit wearing as something else than "dressing up". As I've been trying to convey in this thread.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think huntsman did all of the downton abbey suits. might as well go there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads