• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replica modern art on the cheap

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are a number of non-representational artists that I like, especially ones that work with simple geometric shapes like Mondrian. I am thinking of commissioning some struggling local artist to paint a few replicas or "homages" of that style. Mondrians, especially, are technically trivial and could probably be done on the cheap.

What do you think of the idea?

What other artists should I look at? There's that famous guy that does those colourful vertical stripes (like the Paul Smith logo).

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kent: I think MOMA sells prints of actual Mondrians and others. I haven't been there for a year, but try moma.org. IIRC their online store is rather extensive.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd rather have real canvas than just a print. I could also get a truly unique piece this way. When you factor in the cost of framing the print the price difference shrinks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've considered doing this exact thing myself, for my own use and for decorating other people's houses. Often they will buy a piece of "art" just for the colors - so if a custom piece could be made that could tie all the expensive things together that we want them to buy and look somewhat interesting yet inoffensive, it could be worth a lot of money to an interior designer...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some sacrifices have to be made when one is stricken with poverty.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That's rather missing the point of the art, isn't it?
Personally, I think it more points out the absurdity of calling it art, but that's just my opinion.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barnett Newman, Rothko, maybe some Sol LeWitt--these would be relatively easy to imitate, yet have distinct enough aesthetics that it would be pretty clear who was being, er, homage'd. Maybe buy some flourescent lights and go all Dan Flavin.

Art isn't always all that expensive, but a lot of it is, so I understand where Kent and J are coming from--even inexpensive originals are not exactly in the budget. I'm sure Austin/Seattle have a lot of galleries as well as art schools, though, if you'd rather have an original work.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did something similar - the mrs. likes Jack Vettriano so I found a replica of the dancing butler (IIRC) on ebay. Not perfect by any standard, but good enough with a good frame. Our friends don't come around with their art guides to inspect our modest decorations, and we're fine with that.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're calling them homages but in fact those are simply direct, uninspired facsimiles.

You can usually buy vintage lithographs or paintings by lesser-known artists at some of the smaller auction houses for cheap. The works tend to be minimalist in flavor as well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think it's a little foolish. Why not find an artist you like and buy original work? Art is not always very expensive.
I won't speak for Kent, but as hard as it is for many to understand, some of us really don't care in the least whether our decor is "real art" or original work. To me, there is no effective difference (aside from the intrinsic value and care concerns) between an original piece and a good reproduction/print of the same. Even if there is a slight marginal difference (e.g. in the texture of the piece), the marginal value I would get from it would approach zero. And in the case of these pieces that to me have no unique visual interest or technical skill evidenced, it would be all the more absurd. Would you buy a real signed Duchamp urinal? What if I signed one?

To me, it would be like spending the extra money to buy a real Prada suit (assuming one would want one) even if one could source the exact same materials and tailors and have the exact same cut and everything for half the price. Of course, I wouldn't spend more than about $20 on a bottle of wine either, because I admit I can't tell any difference in the more expensive wine.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
replica paintings is a huge industry here.

Whole streets set up devoted to hand painted knockoffs (knowing there is an occassional poster based in Hanoi - Hang Trong St in the Old Quarter is what I am thinking of up there).

Depending on how poor you look when you walk into the store, theyll run you between $40 and $1000

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could make your own, if you have time.

otherwise i would either scour thrift stores and flea markets, or cruise the local art school.

another geometric abstract guy to copy (let's not mince words), is Malevich. try also Theo van Doesburg, who was mostly an architect/designer but also did some art.

aesthetic schools - Elementarism, Suprematism, early Cubism, Constructivism (gets kindof complex though)...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads