• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing trousers on 3-pc suit

BrogueTrooper

Reaction score
I have a single breasted 3-pc suit in a dark brown, heavily textured fabric (almost like a crepe). Yes, I ordered it with two pairs of trousers but they have both worn out. Suit and waistcoat are fine.

I love the suit but am wondering what, if any, trousers I could pair with it. I can match the colour, but not the texture, so going for another pair of dark brown trousers just looks like I am trying (and failing) to match the suit.

Any suggestions for a comlementary or contrasting trousers that could work with the above?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will neither be able to match the coat to any odd trousers nor wear it as a separate without it appearing to be what it is, an orphan.

Burn them

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, it may help if you can post a picture of the jacket. There are ways to make it look a bit less like an orphan depending on the material. I agree about changing the buttons at the very least if you want to try to wear this as an odd jacket. Again, a picture would help for recommendations here.

JCPhoto

Reaction score
I found myself in a similar situation a few months ago, I still wear the waistcoat as a layering piece but I fear the jacket is destined for the flames.

Godot

Reaction score
There is a slight chance that if you contact the manufacturer, he may have some of the same fabric or a pair of slacks in your size. Failing that, you've got yourself a potential sport coat and a vest to be worn with jeans.
This is one of the things I hate about suits. Even if you wear the coat and slacks the same amount the slacks tend to wear out faster. :brick:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a single breasted 3-pc suit in a dark brown, heavily textured fabric (almost like a crepe). Yes, I ordered it with two pairs of trousers but they have both worn out. Suit and waistcoat are fine.

I love the suit but am wondering what, if any, trousers I could pair with it. I can match the colour, but not the texture, so going for another pair of dark brown trousers just looks like I am trying (and failing) to match the suit.

Any suggestions for a comlementary or contrasting trousers that could work with the above?
Go to the place where you originally bought it from, and try to replace the pants. If you can't do that, then you're out of luck. You may be able to wear the vest separately. You may even be able to wear the orphan jacket separately, but if you wear them together, it will look stupid to most people here....emphasis on "here;" in real life, people won't care.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a slight chance that if you contact the manufacturer, he may have some of the same fabric or a pair of slacks in your size. Failing that, you've got yourself a potential sport coat and a vest to be worn with jeans.
This is one of the things I hate about suits. Even if you wear the coat and slacks the same amount the slacks tend to wear out faster.
baldy[1].gif
Sitting down, walking and bending over have a much bigger impact on pants than shirts/jackets. That shouldn't be a surprise.

Godot

Reaction score
It's not a surprise, just annoying. Suits are expensive and it's unfortunate that one component is more vulnerable then the other. From a practical point of view, a sport coat and slacks makes more sense.
I'm just venting here as I know there are many circumstances that demand a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads