Replacing rubber heel.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Aug 31, 2009.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I find that I wear out rubber part which is the back of leather stacked heels of my dress shoes fast. Can a local cobbler replace that rubber piece without changing the original stacked heel? Does any knows how the process is done?

Thanks.

2. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's only the top-lift that gets replaced. The bases are not touched.
    If you have a combination heel rubber/leather, they are both replaced as they come laminated together.

3. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Nick, quick question for you: do you offer clear and clear brown edge finish? I have a pair of shoes that I've been holding off resoling for a while now. They will eventually be mailed to you for a full resole and I thought they could benefit from either a totally clear or clear brown edge finish instead of the (normal) opaque brown edging they currently have.

4. Nick V.

Nick, quick question for you: do you offer clear and clear brown edge finish? I have a pair of shoes that I've been holding off resoling for a while now. They will eventually be mailed to you for a full resole and I thought they could benefit from either a totally clear or clear brown edge finish instead of the (normal) opaque brown edging they currently have.

Wes--
    We have clear (neutral) and brown.
    They don't make clear brown.

5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Wes--
    We have clear (neutral) and brown.
    They don't make clear brown.

[​IMG] Maybe I didn't use the proper term. What I meant when I asked about clear brown edging is for something that would make the sole edges look like this: http://www.shoebacca.com/ralph-lauren/ash-alm63200.html

While it's brown, the edging on those still allows the stacked leather to show through and looks like a stain was applied. I'd be interested in a similar finish on a pair. This is in contrast to most/all my brown shoes which have an opaque brown dressing that looks more painted on.

I only assumed clear brown edge dressing exists since soles I've seen with fully clear dressing appear much lighter than that.

6. Nick V.

Yes this can be achieved by using neutral as a base and slightly tint it with brown.

7. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

^ Then it's only a matter of time before I send some shoes your way. Thanks for the answers!

8. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

9. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

how long does a rubber top-lift normally last? i seem to be wearing through the rubber pretty fast. i've been wearing these shoes for about 2 times/week (walking about 1 mile/day) for 2 months and rubber is almost down to the leather part. if this is normal, i may consider just adding heel taps to save money.

10. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

This is not normal. What kind of shoes are they, or do you do this to all your shoes?

11. Nick V.

how long does a rubber top-lift normally last? i seem to be wearing through the rubber pretty fast. i've been wearing these shoes for about 2 times/week (walking about 1 mile/day) for 2 months and rubber is almost down to the leather part. if this is normal, i may consider just adding heel taps to save money.

You may want to try a JR heel. Longer wearing rubber and leather. An average cobbler should be able to do it without a problem.