• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing Remote Keyless Car fob

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lost my keys including the car fob, and paid alot to get a new set of transponder keys. What is the cheapest way to replace the car fob? My car is a Honda Civic 2001.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think dealerships charge around $100. There are ebay replacement fobs that go for much less, but I'm not sure where I can program the fobs to work with the car.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
I think dealerships charge around $100. There are ebay replacement fobs that go for much less, but I'm not sure where I can program the fobs to work with the car.

The only place to do that is the dealership. Actually, only the factory can program your keys. So, you're pretty much SOL.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
The only place to do that is the dealership. Actually, only the factory can program your keys. So, you're pretty much SOL.

not exactly true. some of the higher end laser cut/rfid keys can only be ordered through a dealer, but a 2001 honda civic can be done at the dealer. You can buy programable blanks and and fob's on ebay and bring them in, its not cheap. However, IIRC from my ricer days, you can do it yourself, just google it, or go check like www.honda-tech.com

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
not exactly true. some of the higher end laser cut/rfid keys can only be ordered through a dealer, but a 2001 honda civic can be done at the dealer. You can buy programable blanks and and fob's on ebay and bring them in, its not cheap. However, IIRC from my ricer days, you can do it yourself, just google it, or go check like www.honda-tech.com
Ahh...I forgot his is an '01 Civic. My roommate just went through this ordeal with her Jetta, and it costed her close to $300 after everything was said and done.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can buy the correct remote for your vehicle off ebay or where ever you prefer, make sure it's the correct year. The place that you bought the remote from should send you instructions on how to program the remote to your vehicle. I work at a used car lot and do this all the time, don't waste your money the the dealer. You can even google the instructions.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Yeah, I had to replace a fob once and "programming" it consisted of turning the car on and off 7 times and then opening the door or something as arcane as that.

I'm serious.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Ahh...I forgot his is an '01 Civic. My roommate just went through this ordeal with her Jetta, and it costed her close to $300 after everything was said and done.

and thats why I have a sever distaste for VW's. I remember when I was just turning 16 and taking auto shop and asking my teacher about getting a corrado, and he said, its a great car, but god help you if it breaks, every part come from germany and isnt cheap. That and I have a real issue with VW for other reason not worth getting into here.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Yeah, I had to replace a fob once and "programming" it consisted of turning the car on and off 7 times and then opening the door or something as arcane as that.

I'm serious.

that actually sounds about what I remember it being.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
besides the fob, i don't need specialized equipment right?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not for an old honda like that. Does your car have a chipped key? ( the green key icon on the dash?)

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a transponder key (it does have a chip inside)
the key works, and i just need to get a keyless remote

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
it's a transponder key (it does have a chip inside)
the key works, and i just need to get a keyless remote

I asked because it might be cheaper to get an aftermarket keyless installed. By the time you get two remote fobs, and then program them (assuming you can do them yourself), it might be cheaper or close in price to getting an aftermaket setup. They are usually better anyways, with longer range. Thats before getting into a keyless alarm, or Remote start

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Thats before getting into a keyless alarm, or Remote start
All's I can say is Remote Start FTFW! Just screwing around today, I parked, but used the remote start override to take the key out without shutting the car off. Close door, walk away, arm alarm, shut off engine remotely. Stupid and inefficient....but fun. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads