• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

replacing my website

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Developement?

I don't like the silver/white letters (Home, affiliates, etc.)

Why the "located in Princeton" on the frontpage? Would be better in the about section, right? Maybe a "contact" section?

What happens when I click the "free quote" button? If it's some quote by a celebrity, what's the added marketingvalue of that?

Why are the letters of the "free quote" button in gold and the letters on top in silver? What did clothing teach you? Don't match metallics!

Is the tiger a running theme on the website? If not, why not? If so, why did you choose this pic?

Just a few quick thoughts.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't use the cursive fonts.
Meaning behind the tiger in the river?
located in princeton NJ should be replaced by an email address, mailing address at bottom of page

i like the three buttons as long as they link to other pages.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks better. The "Home, affiliates, about, contacts" buttons are hard to read.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Princeton Tigers, i attend my networking events in princeton.

Plus, i thought it looked cool. Replaced the bar at the top with a new one.

I think we're going to do Built in email on another page....like when you click free quote it'll link to that portion of the page

the tabs above the 3 pictures will link to other pages.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perspective effect on "HP" looks really cheap and amateurish. At least try and make it look like it's actually in perspective by having the horizontal segments of the letters narrower than the vertical segments.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the comments above. And I would still lose the tiger.

Just browsed through your existing site (I don't know if this has anything to do with the black eye you're referring to) for content that might make it over. One line in particular caught my attention: "Botox" for your website??

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my design firm builds sites for a living and this looks veeery web 1.0. pm me if you like because i don't really know where to begin.

remn

Reaction score
I'm in the web design industry. So take it from me: get rid of the tiger.

Reason: Perhaps its witty and people who can make the "princeton tigers" association will get it, but it really ads nothing to your site. Some companies can get away with this (Godaddy) for special reasons, but not in this case. A flash slideshow of your projects or even designs you came up with in your free time would be much better use of that space.

I would take a little more time to study design aesthetics and maybe self study photoshop before entering the business. If someone can make your website in iweb or whatever, they won't pay you to do it.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
lurker[1].gif

As much as I like to antagonize. Maybe we don't need to turn this thread into a 9pgs of criticism

dl

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but if you're going to sell something, the something you made for yourself should be pretty damn solid. Maybe there is something else you could be doing that would be a better use of your time. Either that or you need to find someone who can really bang out websites that look/work great and take care of the selling part... or something.

This is why I don't do web design, I mean look at this place. It's a mess. Everything that looks like it should, almost without exception, was done by someone else. I seriously thought I was going to be a web designer for a business when I was like 19. Luckily, I didn't force the issue.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find it helpful for me to sell something if i actually understand it, and until i build it myself, i dont feel like i understand it.
Even if i dont end up doing the designs i dont mind building a few of them to at least get my head in the game.

Its actually part of a much bigger picture that i have in mind, but i'm working on the small things.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
and I just want to put the official mod ruling here...

SG - last time you started a thread like this, you got a whole heap of criticism, and then came running to us when you deemed it unfair.

If you want to do this again, then fine, we don't care, that's what forums are for...but it's on you man.

If the boys say stuff you dont like, we're leaving it up...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but if you're going to sell something, the something you made for yourself should be pretty damn solid. Maybe there is something else you could be doing that would be a better use of your time. Either that or you need to find someone who can really bang out websites that look/work great and take care of the selling part... or something.

This is why I don't do web design, I mean look at this place. It's a mess. Everything that looks like it should, almost without exception, was done by someone else. I seriously thought I was going to be a web designer for a business when I was like 19. Luckily, I didn't force the issue.

+1

Not everyone has the design gene. Just because you're good with computers doesn't mean you can be a good web designer. I don't have the creativity for it but I'm good at lots of other things. There are so many things wrong with the site. It looks very haphazard to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads