• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing electrical outlet while current is live

DMully

Reaction score
Hey guys, for reasons to weird to go into, I need to change an electrical outlet (AC) while the current is live. There are only two wires coming out and not a third like the newer outlets I've seen. I just need to do a quick replace of the old outlet for a new one, without killing myself, preferably. Especially before I've had the opportunity to contribute more to the styleforum.

Any tips? Should I use rubber gloves and plastic handled screwdrivers and pliers. Is there a reasonably or even somewhat "safe" way to perform this procedure with live current, or am I doomed to have to have to go to the ER?

Thanks!

Mully

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, so was probably a bad idea for me to be giving electical advice to a stranger over the internet.

I've been overruled by logic. Electricity is too unpredictable for me to tell you that you'll PROBABLY be fine, even if you are shocked.

It is POSSIBLE that 110 volts at 15 to 20 amps of AC current will kill you or cause severe burns.
So its probably wiser for you not to do this.

If you MUST do it. Take all the precautions you can. Rubber gloves, face shield of some sort, rubber handled equipment, caution, patience, etc.

CoryB

Reaction score
May I suggest simply flipping the breaker and then simply change it without live current. Safety is generally my highest priority when dealing with electricity.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't do it! My work sometimes involves juicing up electrical components in machines, and we never ever take risks like that. That's just crazy, imo. Shut the breaker off, as CoryB mentioned. Doing electrical work with a livewire is really asking for it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, don't do it.

Hate to counter Slim, but if you are grounded in any way, touching the hot wire will short the current through you. There exists live wire equipment, but you don't have it. Ther's no way to not touch the bare end, because some tool will have to contact the screw-- it's probably not new enough for a plugin.

Regards,
Huntsman

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll go as far as wiring up a light fixture while only the switch is off, but if anyone else is anywhere near, I'll tape over the switch before I do it. Replacing an outlet on live wires is extremely unwise. You might be okay, but you also might die. I've taken house current before, and even if you live, it's not very pleasant.

mbc

Reaction score
This is an exceptionally stupid idea. Shut the power off.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice knowing you DMully! Best regards to the Big Guy.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Zap!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesnt it only take like .5amps to make you **** your pants and one full amp to stop your heart? I guess if you really wanted to do it and be cautious you could get some of the rubber gloves they use at Toyota shops to work on the Prius, from experience dispite their thickness they are surprisingly tactile.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Then again, I've also seen that nice gentle current pop a big hole in a pair of wire cutters and shoot molten steel around.... but go ahead.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Doesnt it only take like .5amps to make you **** your pants and one full amp to stop your heart?
At extremely high voltage, yes. But consider, while DC is more forgiving in prolonged exposure than AC is, a police stun gun uses 25,000 - 50,000 volts at 7-26 amps. (depending on the model and whether its on drive stun or not) This is generally enough to override the nerve impulses to your brain, and cause lots of muscle pain, but rarely kills anyone. With AC power, its the actual charge fluctuating poles that wreaks havoc with the heart, but AC has a much lower chance of actually penetrating the skin than DC does, and tends to cause more surface damage (burns) than deep tissue or organ damage. AC will push you away from the power source, so the actual shock will only last a fraction of a second, while a DC electrocution causes your muscles to contract around the source of the charge, in effect prolonging it.

DMully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
At extremely high voltage, yes.

But consider, while DC is more forgiving in prolonged exposure than AC is, a police stun gun uses 25,000 - 50,000 volts at 7-26 amps. (depending on the model and whether its on drive stun or not) This is generally enough to override the nerve impulses to your brain, and cause lots of muscle pain, but rarely kills anyone.

With AC power, its the actual charge fluctuating poles that wreaks havoc with the heart, but AC has a much lower chance of actually penetrating the skin than DC does, and tends to cause more surface damage (burns) than deep tissue or organ damage. AC will push you away from the power source, so the actual shock will only last a fraction of a second, while a DC electrocution causes your muscles to contract around the source of the charge, in effect prolonging it.

Hey dudes -- I decided to wait until I had access to the power box to turn off the breaker. I know people who've done electrical with live current, but decided not to risk it. But once a long time ago, I stripped a 110 wire, plugged in it and hooked it up to the phone line to see if 110 would take out the phones in my neighborhood. It didn't but I ended up shocking the **** out of my self. Felt like some serious shooting pains in my hand and arm.

But since there's the risk of killing myself, I thought it was good to wait.
tounge.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DMully
Hey dudes -- I decided to wait until I had access to the power box to turn off the breaker. I know people who've done electrical with live current, but decided not to risk it. But once a long time ago, I stripped a 110 wire, plugged in it and hooked it up to the phone line to see if 110 would take out the phones in my neighborhood. It didn't but I ended up shocking the **** out of my self. Felt like some serious shooting pains in my hand and arm.

But since there's the risk of killing myself, I thought it was good to wait.
tounge.gif

DMULLY,

you have passed your first test - the board has decided that you are, in fact, intellegent enough to breed.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
DMULLY,

you have passed your first test - the board has decided that you are, in fact, intellegent enough to breed.

I am not so sure, sometimes if you have to ask. . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads